PDA

View Full Version : 2010 State of Origin

bigross86
26 May 10,, 14:21
For all the non-Aussies on WAB, the State of Origin is a yearly best-of-3 series of Rugby League games between the New South Wales Blues (Cockroaches) and Queensland Maroons (Cane Toads). The game is called State of Origin because players are selected to represent the state in which they played their first senior football. Some players live in NSW and play for Queensland and vice versa.

Queensland has taken the series the past 4 years, from 2006-2009 and just beat the Blues in game one of the 2010 Origin 28-24.

Having spent a long time in Queensland just when I was learning to appreciate Rugby, I've become a Maroons fan and I'm hoping my boys take it this year as well, matching their own record for longest winning streak.

Good on ya, boys!

StevoJH
26 May 10,, 14:54
I go for the blues but as long as there is no display like that of Qld after the last game last year I don't care who wins.

bigross86
26 May 10,, 15:08
It wasn't just QLD that were misbehaving, you forget that Price had been knocked out by NSW dirty playing and Waterhouse got sent off. Yes, things did get a bit unruly, but it was just as much NSW's fault as QLD's

qT1MfRyHkOM&NR=1

pennsy
26 May 10,, 15:17
For all the non-Aussies on WAB, the State of Origin is a yearly best-of-3 series of Rugby League games between the New South Wales Blues (Cockroaches) and Queensland Maroons (Cane Toads). The game is called State of Origin because players are selected to represent the state in which they played their first senior football. Some players live in NSW and play for Queensland and vice versa.

Queensland has taken the series the past 4 years, from 2006-2009 and just beat the Blues in game one of the 2010 Origin 28-24.

Having spent a long time in Queensland just when I was learning to appreciate Rugby, I've become a Maroons fan and I'm hoping my boys take it this year as well, matching their own record for longest winning streak.

Good on ya, boys!

How did you get the match result mate?

As far as tonights game NSW was lucky to get within 4 points. The sloppy weather and heavy ground turned the game into a bit of an arm wrestle. Still the Maroons were the better side and will probably clinch the series in Brisbane.

Aussiegunner
26 May 10,, 15:21
The reality is that in the State of Origin violence is part of the spectical and is tacitly encouraged. Whether or not it is right is another matter, but anybody who tries to make out that it is poor form by the opposing team because their team was on the losing side last time is just a poor loser, because both sides do it.

pennsy
26 May 10,, 15:26
I go for the blues but as long as there is no display like that of Qld after the last game last year I don't care who wins.

I tell you what it worked both ways, though Hodges(QLD) should have been sent off.

As far as Creagh's send off, he should have also been charged with cowardice in the face of the enemy.:eek::biggrin:

bigross86
26 May 10,, 15:27
How did you get the match result mate?

As far as tonights game NSW was lucky to get within 4 points. The sloppy weather and heavy ground turned the game into a bit of an arm wrestle. Still the Maroons were the better side and will probably clinch the series in Brisbane.

I streamed the whole thing and watched it live. I was a bit worried when the Blues scored first, but the Maroons quickly started getting to business. The last 10 minutes were also pretty scary, the Blues getting really close a couple of times.

Game 2 is only 3 weeks away, Game 3 on July 7. My favorite team in Rugby Union, the All Blacks, open their season vs Ireland on June 12 And then open the Tri-Nations on July 10. It's going to be a good rugby year, I can feel it.

pennsy
26 May 10,, 15:29
You must be desperate for entertainment BigRoss if you like watching UNION. I'd rather eat raw snails.

StevoJH
26 May 10,, 15:33
I wasnt talking about during the game, I was talking about post game with Qld's little sulk about not winning three games straight.

bigross86
26 May 10,, 15:35
You kidding me? I love Union. Matter of fact, I prefer it over League. Union is just so much more legal violence, and none of this 6 tackles crap. In Union they beat you until you're dead, then get up and do it all over again. I'm getting tingles and shivers...

StevoJH
26 May 10,, 15:36
You kidding me? I love Union. Matter of fact, I prefer it over League. Union is just so much more legal violence, and none of this 6 tackles crap. In Union they beat you until you're dead, then get up and do it all over again. I'm getting tingles and shivers...

At least they have real scrums in Union.....

bigross86
26 May 10,, 15:37
I wasnt talking about during the game, I was talking about post game with Qld's little sulk about not winning three games straight.

Nothing wrong with that, it had been nearly 15 years since QLD swept the Origin, and nearly a decade since NSW swept it. I'm pretty sure I'd get bummed too if I had a chance to sweep an annual event for the first time in 15 years and came up short.

StevoJH
26 May 10,, 15:40
Nothing wrong with that, it had been nearly 15 years since QLD swept the Origin, and nearly a decade since NSW swept it. I'm pretty sure I'd get bummed too if I had a chance to sweep an annual event for the first time in 15 years and came up short.

Doesnt make it any less bad sportsmenship though, especially when they have just won the series and expressing it so clearly and obviously over national TV.

pennsy
26 May 10,, 15:41

The All Blacks might beat the crap out of their opposition, but the Wallabies wave the white flag.

Union is like trench warfare, grind, grind, grind followed by kick, kick, kick and just occasionaly you might get a backline move.

League is faster with more explosive play, but should be allowed more elgalized violence.;)

pennsy
26 May 10,, 15:43
Doesnt make it any less bad sportsmenship though, especially when they have just won the series and expressing it so clearly and obviously over national TV.

Let you in, on a little secret Steve. The NRL administration loved it. It was the best publicity for this years series.

StevoJH
26 May 10,, 15:47
Let you in, on a little secret Steve. The NRL administration loved it. It was the best publicity for this years series.

Yeah, its good publicity, but tell me how many parents would be out the following saturday at football or soccer reminding their kids about good sportsmenship? I know my parents did when I was younger.

pennsy
26 May 10,, 15:51
Playing junior footy is totally different.

Fortunately/unfortunately after your balls drop you become more physically powerful, competitive and not so smart, so young blokes when given a ball and a line to defend will draw blood if they have to.

StevoJH
26 May 10,, 15:52
Playing junior footy is totally different.

Fortunately/unfortunately after your balls drop you become more physically powerful, competitive and not so smart, so young blokes when given a ball and a line to defend will draw blood if they have to.

Thats during the game though..... *acts innocent and pretends not to be a hypcrit.....*

pennsy
26 May 10,, 15:59
Thats during the game though..... *acts innocent and pretends not to be a hypcrit.....*

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Okay, okay. Yes leave the biff on the footy field and don't carry on like a galah after the game. I agree with that.

See, it's all about beer.;)

In the old days when I was playing, you would spend most of the game belting and being belted by your opponents. Then after 80 minutes of losing skin off your knucles and a tooth or two it was time to sit back and enjoy a cold one or two or three or a dozen with your former protaganists.

All good fun and no violence left the field.

And that's the trouble with the game today. Most of the players are 'ATHLETES' and would pass out in shock if a few drops of pale ale passed their saintly lips.

Don't bring back the biff so much, but bring back the beer!

bigross86
26 May 10,, 16:10
I drank with some Kiwi rugby players, and a guy they brought over from England to play for them. Maybe it's just the Aussie rugby players, but the Kiwi's had no problems letting some drops of pale ale pass their saintly lips

StevoJH
26 May 10,, 16:11
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Okay, okay. Yes leave the biff on the footy field and don't carry on like a galah after the game. I agree with that.

See, it's all about beer.;)

In the old days when I was playing, you would spend most of the game belting and being belted by your opponents. Then after 80 minutes of losing skin off your knucles and a tooth or two it was time to sit back and enjoy a cold one or two or three or a dozen with your former protaganists.

All good fun and no violence left the field.

And that's the trouble with the game today. Most of the players are 'ATHLETES' and would pass out in shock if a few drops of pale ale passed their saintly lips.

Don't bring back the biff so much, but bring back the beer!

Alcohol is good.....

tankie
26 May 10,, 18:43
Alcohol is good.....

Yes ,i know :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

pennsy
28 May 10,, 00:45
I drank with some Kiwi rugby players, and a guy they brought over from England to play for them. Maybe it's just the Aussie rugby players, but the Kiwi's had no problems letting some drops of pale ale pass their saintly lips

Kiwis don't need an excuse to have a drink and I personally think most Kiwis could drink the average Aussie under the table!

But Rugby Union players here are a weird bunch. I've been to quite a few functions and after game piss ups and when you see large amounts of wine and girly drinks consumed rather than beer you begin to wonder:frown:

bigross86
28 May 10,, 01:25
Like I said, I care nothing about what they do off the field or what they drink off the field. Rugby Union is nothing but slightly regulated violence with a ball thrown in for good flavor, and I love it. The Kiwis just happen to be real good at it too, even though the Springboks had something to say about it last year.

Interesting, my mom's fiancee is South African and a Springboks fan. Things could get lively around the house...

pennsy
28 May 10,, 11:44
Of course the Kiwis are great at it, so are the Springboks. Boy you're gonna be the meat in the sandwich come the series:))

Aussiegunner
28 May 10,, 19:12
Kiwis don't need an excuse to have a drink and I personally think most Kiwis could drink the average Aussie under the table!

But Rugby Union players here are a weird bunch. I've been to quite a few functions and after game piss ups and when you see large amounts of wine and girly drinks consumed rather than beer you begin to wonder:frown:

Thats a worry given how close you have to go to the other guy's arse when you are a forward. It makes me glad that I was never good enough to progress past year 12 rugby in a state school .

bigross86
16 Jun 10,, 12:02
Game 2 is kicking off soon. Go Maroons! Crush the Cockroaches! Queenseland, Queenseland, Queenseland!!! (That's my really lame attempt to type in a Queensland accent)

Bigfella
16 Jun 10,, 12:08
Given that one of the NSW players walked out of the team after the assistant coach called one of the star QLD players a 'black c**t' & the QLD coach is even darker than him, my bet is QLD will bulldoze them.

bigross86
16 Jun 10,, 12:16
I like how they started off with a moment of silence for the two Brissie boys that were killed last week.

3 minutes in, QLD has already scored. Keep it up, boyos!

Bigfella
16 Jun 10,, 12:24
I like how they started off with a moment of silence for the two Brissie boys that were killed last week.

3 minutes in, QLD has already scored. Keep it up, boyos!

I think I tipped this.:biggrin::biggrin:

bigross86
16 Jun 10,, 12:41
Minute 26, the inevitable brush up. Once again, completely NSW's fault, at least that how I saw that tackle

bigross86
16 Jun 10,, 14:02
Queensland wins, 34-6! A complete and total rout of NSW, Queensland takes their 5th championship in a row!

Hey Bigfella, can you do me a favor and pick 6 numbers between 1-37, and another number between 1-8? I could use me a good couple millions...

Bigfella
16 Jun 10,, 14:59
Queensland wins, 34-6! A complete and total rout of NSW, Queensland takes their 5th championship in a row!

Hey Bigfella, can you do me a favor and pick 6 numbers between 1-37, and another number between 1-8? I could use me a good couple millions...

Nuthin' personal mate, but if I were that good I'd pick 'em meself & come visit you in sunny Israel.:))

Even without the added spice the Cane Toads were a fair show. Add in the extra motivation courtesy of white trash boy & it was a lock. Just surprised more people weren't hurt.

bigross86
16 Jun 10,, 16:01
Well, you better hurry up, then. Another three-four months and we hit the cold season, and the cold season here is quite dreary

bigross86
07 Jul 10,, 12:03
Game 3 is about to kick off. I'm hoping for a Queensland sweep. Unfortunately I can't find a website with a decent stream... :( :mad:

bigross86
07 Jul 10,, 14:16
Clean sweep! Well done Queensland!!!

Aussiegunner
10 Jul 10,, 03:32
Clean sweep! Well done Queensland!!!

Yeah, take that in the arse NSW!!! :-).