PDA

View Full Version : 'Fake pilot' arrested in cockpit

20 May 10,, 14:59
BBC News - 'Fake pilot' arrested moments before take-off (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8549954.stm)

A Swedish pilot without a valid licence to fly has been arrested at Amsterdam as he was about to fly a jet with 101 passengers to Turkey, Dutch police say.
The 41-year-old man said he had been flying for European airlines for 13 years and had logged 10,000 hours.
Police said he once had a licence to fly small planes but it had expired and it did not allow him to fly large jets.
Reports say the man was relieved his long deception was uncovered and tore off his pilot's stripes in the cockpit.
Turkey's Corendon Airlines said he had been flying for the airline for two years and had "expertly misled the company with his false papers".
The airline said it had been alerted by police and had a pilot standing by to fly the Boeing 737 from Amsterdam's Schiphol airport to Ankara.
Dutch police were acting on a tip-off from Swedish authorities.
The man is in custody awaiting trial for forging documents and flying without a licence.

CORENDON AIRLINES (http://www.corendon-airlines.com/site/default.asp) ( Make the difference )

Do you think his 10,000 unlicensed hours in the air should be counted for future employment positions ? :)

20 May 10,, 15:09
Fake pilot who flew for 13 years without licence fined £1,700
A Swedish pilot who flew passenger jets for 13 years without a licence has been fined £1,700 and banned from flying for 12 months.

By Our Foreign Staff
Published: 11:36PM BST 17 May 2010

Salme has been compared to Frank Abagnale, portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio in Catch Me If You Can Photo: DREAMWORKS
Thomas Salme, 41, was arrested in March as he was about to fly 101 passengers on a Boeing 737 from Amsterdam's Schipol airport to Ankara in Turkey.

Officers acted after a tip-off suggested that Salme had once had a commercial pilot license, but it had expired and it never qualified him for passengers flights. He had accumulated 10,000 unlicensed hours in the air.

Related Articles
Manned air travel: reliving all the Wright moves
Attempt to recreate Louis Bleriot's Channel crossing grounded
Yemenia Air crash jet was banned from European airspace
Postman banned from flying for five years after air rage incident
Hudson River pilot says he was just doing his job
Lieutenant-Commander Denis Stanley

He admitted doctoring his expired pilots licence and was fined 2,000 euros (£1,712) and was last month banned from flying for a year by a Dutch court, although the court noted he had never caused an accident in the 13 years.

Salme told German magazine Focus that a friend who worked for Scandinavian airline SAS let him use their flight simulator at night when the rest of the training centre was closed.

"I'd train there for two or three hours at a time- at least 15 to 20 times over one and a half years," he said.

"I got the crackpot idea to apply as a co-pilot at a real airline so I made myself a Swedish flying permit with a logo out of regular white paper."

"It wasn't laminated, and looked like something I'd made at home."

He added that forging the ID was "surprisingly easy."

Salme has been compared to Frank Abagnale, the American who conned people into thinking he was a pilot, and was portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio in Catch Me If You Can. Salme has denied the two are similar.

Following his fine, he said: "The moral point of view is that I feel ashamed that I did lie but I didn't ever feel, not once, feel that I put passengers in an unsafe position.

"I feel my name is all over the world, my punishment is more than 2,000 euros.

Fake pilot who flew for 13 years without licence fined £1,700 - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/7733861/Fake-pilot-who-flew-for-13-years-without-licence-fined-1700.html)
TelegraphNews

Air Crew Opportunities - Rishworth Aviation (http://www.rishworthaviation.com/opportunities/oppslist.asp?cat=1&gclid=CNTr1d7x4KECFQ4EZgodOQP_Ig) :rolleyes::biggrin:

Dreadnought
20 May 10,, 15:16
BBC News - 'Fake pilot' arrested moments before take-off (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8549954.stm)

CORENDON AIRLINES (http://www.corendon-airlines.com/site/default.asp) ( Make the difference )

Do you think his 10,000 unlicensed hours in the air should be counted for future employment positions ? :)

*Yep sure do, especially that job interview at 30,000 feet where they should throw his ass out of the plane and see just how well he flies without a jet.

Pretty ignorant and arrogant to take over 100 peoples lives in his hands illegally and not care so why should they spare his.

highsea
20 May 10,, 19:57
Hell, I'd fly with him.

Chogy
21 May 10,, 13:15
The guy, after 13 years on the line, was probably safe. Legal, no, but safe.

It happens on occasion. A guy presents himself to recruitment with a faked background and padded logbook, and if he gets through the initial training, which he can only do if he has some skills, then he will be employed under false pretenses.

This is why airlines prefer military backgrounds with computerized records, which cannot be faked.

highsea
21 May 10,, 21:08
The guy, after 13 years on the line, was probably safe. Legal, no, but safe.3 years in the right seat followed by 10 in the left seat, he's probably safer than most commuter airlines ATP's in a 737. Things practically fly themselves anyway. Now I wouldn't want him flying my nieces around, but I wouldn't be worried myself.

I was wondering about his medical though. Doesn't that have to be filed with the FAA? Seems like that should have raised a flag somewhere- someone renewing a medical every 6 months for 13 years with no license?

Ararat
21 May 10,, 22:10
Wouldn’t that be under JAA restrictions rather than FAA since it was in Europe? Either way it would be a lot easier to wing your 1st class medical application than to start flying professionally without the ATP knowledge base which can be from instrument flight procedures with partial panel, emergency procedures, to CRM. Padding your logbook with the proper sign offs from instructors and examiners (including type ratings) would take some know how. Also aviating is one thing but being up to PTS standards without going through the training or being discovered and getting your first job is just amazing.

highsea
21 May 10,, 22:29
Wouldn’t that be under JAA restrictions rather than FAA since it was in Europe?Yes, I assumed they were similarly tracked, since there is mutual recognition. Then again, if he was limited to 737, he didn't do any US landings.

I guess if you don't have a ticket, there's no ticket to pull for not having your medical. I would have thought that's something the employer would track.

Either way it would be a lot easier to wing your 1st class medical application than to start flying professionally without the ATP knowledge base which can be from instrument flight procedures with partial panel, emergency procedures, to CRM.Which is why I wouldn't want my nieces flying on his plane. ;)

I've flown the 737 and 747 simulators at Boeing and they're a breeze, but I sure don't have all the knowledge of an ATP!

Padding your logbook with the proper sign offs from instructors and examiners (including type ratings) would take some know how. Also aviating is one thing but being up to PTS standards without going through the training or being discovered and getting your first job is just amazing.Agree. getting through the checkrides and the logbook is one thing, but flying in the same cockpit without all that training and not being discovered is quite surprising.

gunnut
22 May 10,, 00:30
What if he's not licensed, but passed all the tests to qualify to fly?

What exactly does this "license" do anyway?

I think it's a government scheme to extract money.

Chogy
22 May 10,, 13:33
It's not the everyday flying that is difficult, it is the abnormal flying that is the hard part... that, and knowing every single rule down cold so you don't get violated.