Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are bad at algebra would it be a bad idea to take Finite Math?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are bad at algebra would it be a bad idea to take Finite Math?

If you are bad at algebra would it be a bad idea to take finite mathematics?

I ask because I struggle with algebra on all levels, but I hear finite mathematics isn't too rough.

I don't know what that is, but it sounds easier than "infinite" mathematics.

Algebra is easy. Linear algebra is hard.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

A pox on your head, Kevin! I looked up Finite Math. 45 minutes and about 27 different Wikipedia pages later, my brain is full of even more useless information I'm (most probably) never going to use. Four Color Theorem, Grotzsch's Theorem and the Hadwiger-Nelson Problem. From there a quick bounce to Fidel Castro, from there to Cuba. World Baseball Classic and MLB are next, with a quick layover on "stirrups". After MLB we strayed to rounders, and then on to curling. Curling!!

Do you see what you've done?! I've just spent an hour wasting brain cells on random useless facts, while I need those same brain cells for an insane test I've got in less than a month and a half. I hope you're proud of yourself.

All in jest, my friend, all in jest. I love Wikipedia, and would have spent hours on it, anyway
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
        If you are bad at algebra would it be a bad idea to take finite mathematics?
        Nope. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take algebra either. Or trig, or geometry, or calculus, or statistics, or any other kind of math you can find.

Any and all math will help train your brain to think and solve problems.

Doesn't matter if you pass or fail, or how many times you take it. Doesn't matter if you will ever use it or not. You will benefit from it no matter what you do. It's impossible not to.

Math is one of those things that you can never have enough of, and it's not even bad for you. ;)
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Having been a Math tutor for about 10 years now, I would say it would still not be that easy. However the reason to be bad at algebra can depend on many things. If the problem is dislike or lack of interest, maybe finite maths could seem more student-friendly. If you on the other hand, have really started from the first level algebra but could not cope, then finite maths still would be grueling.
          Last edited by Alkimake; 18 May 10,, 00:33.
          Ipsa scientia potestas est

Comment

The more difficult the task, the greater the reward.

Avoiding something because it's difficult won't get you very far in life.
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post

Ain't that the truth. I wish I'd understood that twenty years ago...
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I'm in the enviable position of still being young and having the opportunity to fix my goofing off in high school and doing well in Uni.

As you can imagine, though, it's pretty damn hard, but it's better to work hard now than work much harder later
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Yes, it is better to work hard asap, and yes I envy your age :)
                  Ipsa scientia potestas est

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                    I'm in the enviable position of still being young and having the opportunity to fix my goofing off in high school and doing well in Uni.

As you can imagine, though, it's pretty damn hard, but it's better to work hard now than work much harder later
                    Same here!

So I guess we are in the same boat then?:)

Comment

<==
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Platitudes. You mean if you're clever and find an easier way to do something, you'll feel unfulfilled cause you didn't do it the hard way? :))
                        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                          Platitudes. You mean if you're clever and find an easier way to do something, you'll feel unfulfilled cause you didn't do it the hard way? :))
                          Not at all. I've found easier ways to do a lot of things. I built an 18 ton sailboat. I own a machine shop. I make all kinds of things. I can fly an airplane. I've navigated over 100,000 miles of open ocean.

But you don't get "clever" by skating through school taking basketweaving classes. If a kid asks "should I take a math class?", my answer is HELL YES! Take as many as you can, and take for god's sake don't be afraid to take the hard ones. Failing a math class is absolutely irrelevant to anything except a GPA.

If a person can master mathematics, he is prepared for a lot of the challenges life throws at him, because he has trained his mind to solve problems.

IOW, he becomes "clever".

Comment

When I was thirty I did some design modules at Uni and quickly became aware I needed better math skills so enrolled in some 101 courses.
                            The lecturer in one of these classes anounced he was running some extra tuition classes for "stupid people" if anyone wanted to come.
                            Five of us turned up, I was the youngest there. When he walked in he said something like "good, the stupid comment kept the children away" then questioned each of us what we did for a job, what we hoped to achieve and designed the two-per-week sessions with extra homework specifically for our individual needs. Nobody from that class got less than 92% in the finals.
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I took every math class I was offered, and wish I had more.

It's one of those "aha" subjects. You struggle and struggle, then one day something goes "click" and it all makes perfect sense. And you think "Why didn't they just say so?". Only they did.

Comment

Working...
                              X