Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good books or other reads on Operational Art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good books or other reads on Operational Art?

Another thread asking for recommendations from me!

Well anyways, Could anyone spare recommendation for any good books or other reads on Operational Art?

Thank you,:)

Kevin

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    Another thread asking for recommendations from me!

Well anyways, Could anyone spare recommendation for any good books or other reads on Operational Art?

Thank you,:)
    I would start with the US Army Field Manual FM 3-0 Operations.

https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPo...J!79752089#toc

Chapter 6 is all about "Operational Art"

Regards

Arty
    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtyEngineer View Post
      I would start with the US Army Field Manual FM 3-0 Operations.

https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPo...J!79752089#toc

Chapter 6 is all about "Operational Art"

Regards

Arty
      Thanks!:)

Comment

You do realize that I as LCol spent 3 years reading FM 3.0

Comment

OoE Reply

"You do realize that I as LCol spent 3 years reading FM 3.0"

Colonel,

In all seriousness and fairness you likely have spent that time not simply reading as a once-over but truly studying to absorb its tenets. There is a difference which I've been experiencing myself in conducting a self-education (with Shek's help) WRT Systemic Operational Design.

I frankly don't recall much of FM 3-O Operations and Major Shek has just dumped Joint Operations on me as well.

Why don't I have much recall? Perhaps age for starters. Further, I read it-once over only when released in 2006-7. Clearly not as detailed as necessary. Further we no longer benefit from peer education that comes with embedding amidst an officer corps that's living and breathing the same new doctrine as yourself. Almost a lonely monastic pursuit without that feedback and discussion platform.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Well, Steve, the point is that the FMs were never a once over. You have to read it over and over. In the case of FM3, battle exercises ere extremely required. One of the best thing I've ever learned was that a bad plan was still a bad plan no matter how many hours you've spent up trying to mitigate the damages.

At some point, the smart officer would cut his losses and run. Try teaching that to a young captain is worst than trying to teach a rope how to do sex.

Comment

OoE Reply

Colonel,

"Well, Steve, the point is that the FMs were never a once over."

Sadly, for myself the new manuals are exactly that if read at all. I no longer feed myself from their lessons and only follow to the extent that time and interest allow. Both wane compared to the past.

Only the 6 series (artillery) remains reasonably grounded and even there I've experienced changes WRT to munitions. Technical and tactical employment considerations remain generally the same from what I can tell but advances in munitions open new capabilities of which I'm not entirely apprised.

I can live with my foibles. A serving officer mustn't.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Kevin,

In addition to FM 3.0, go back and read FM 101-5 back to 1982 to get a feel for how the US Army has evolved its thinking on the operational art.

Read JP 3.0.

Go through this thread to get a taste of pre-modern operational art: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sta...ional-art.html (to get a feel for American modern operational art, read here, http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/...operations.pdf).

I believe the above thread has some links as well to Military Review articles that trace the Soviet conceptualization of the level of war between tactical and strategic.
                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

The FM 3.0 is on a theoretical level. What I am interested are case scenarios that deals with real-life situations or past live situations and how military leaders and officers created solutions and how they dealt with fog of war.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    The FM 3.0 is on a theoretical level. What I am interested are case scenarios that deals with real-life situations or past live situations and how military leaders and officers created solutions and how they dealt with fog of war.
                    Amazon.com: And Keep Moving On: The Virginia Campaign, May-June 1864 (Great Campaigns of the Civil War) (9780803271197): Mark Grimsley: Books

Read it alongside this: http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Memoi.../dp/0375752285
                    Last edited by Shek; 16 May 10,, 20:28.
                    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                    X