T-90 vs Type 99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-90 vs Type 99

Okay so I got fed up with people, mostly Chinese comparing a Type 99 tank with Abarms when they aren't even in the same weight class.
    So I pick the T-90. It has a gun launched missile system and Kontact ERA. But I hear some unbelievable things about the Dazzeler system on the Chinese tank.

real close battle, but, in regards of protection, i'd have to give it to the T-90, it has both ERA, and is protected by layers of ceramics, plastics, and metals in a Chobham styled armour

the thing i hate about the T-90 is its diesel engine, which is clearly inferior to a gas-turbine engine
    for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

Originally posted by Dima
      real close battle, but, in regards of protection, i'd have to give it to the T-90, it has both ERA, and is protected by layers of ceramics, plastics, and metals in a Chobham styled armour

the thing i hate about the T-90 is its diesel engine, which is clearly inferior to a gas-turbine engine
      there is a a lot of confusion about the Type 99/ Type 98 tank
      some say it is a light amphibious tank lightly armed ( this is wrong due to this type 63 A
      http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/..._200491103.asp

others that it is a full Main Battle tank with ERA kits and Sudo Chobum and electronics near the level of a M1 ( in other words Dima your T90 is more likely to find it's self matched )
      http://www.sinodefence.com/army/tank/type98.asp
      http://www.china-defense.com/armor/t...ype98-2_3.html

Comment

Chinese products=crap

I don't ned to say any more.

Comment

well, the Type 99 is the Type 98G

what form of ERA does the Type 98G have?

well, according to your links, the Type 98 is the last derivative of the Type 90 series, which was mean to counter the simple T-72 series of tanks, which shouldn't even be classified as MBT's, more like MPT's

anyways

http://sinodefence.com/army/tank/type90.asp

if you look at the 3 paragraph, it mentions that the design was largely based on the T-80U when Russia showed China the tnak in 1995, the T-80U is clearly inferior to the T-90, and even the T-80UM1 is inferior to the T-90

"To accommodate more equipment and rounds, the Type 98's turret is slightly larger than that of the Type 90, which has resulted in a gap between turret and the hull in the front. This could be a major disadvantage in the battle as the whole turret might be blown off if the gap is hit."

from the link you provided, could possibly be a major design flaw, and opponent nations will defeinitely take advantage of this

also, since the gun is a Chinese domestic gun, it will be less advanced than the 2A46M-4, the most advanced Russian gun

the T-90 has two more smoke discharging grenades than the Type 90

the only thing that i'd have to give the Type 98 is its much better engine, i think Russia made a mistake in choosing a diesel engine for the T-90, and i think that that is its only flaw, and it is quite major, for the T-90 only has a hp/ton ratio of about 18.26 while that for the Type 98 is 23.08 providing better mobility for the tank, but then again, because the Russian tank weighs more and is slightly smaller, it can be more accessible, can pass across bridges that may not be able to support more than 50 tons of weight

the T-90's chobham styled armour(i have the specifications now) is made of multiple layers of each of these materials, plastics, kevlar, aluminum and titanium

agreed sniper, but we cannot be that subjective to something such as this, take into account everythng, the whole point of a forum is to learn and discuss
          for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

oh, Terran, just a correction, the Type 98G/99 has a 1,500 horsepower engine, not 1,200 as your link stated

http://kampfpanzer.de/
            for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

how comes, that a T90 has a diesel engine? shouldn't it (as a t80 derivative) posses the same gas-turbine?
              maybe U meant a t84?

Comment

the russian t-90 has been developed from the t-72bm. originally it's designation has been t-72bu, but it was changed to t-90. it includes t-80u technology (especially the fire control complex), but it has never been a t-80 version. and all t-72 versions have diesel engines (except prototypes)
                the t-84 on the other hand is a t-80 version. to be ,ore precise it comes from the t-80ud which has been always diesel engine powered.

regards
                axl

www.kampfpanzer.de

Comment

No it has 1200 hp engine. WTF would you need a 1500 hp engine for something weighing 50 tons?

Comment

Originally posted by dabrownguy
                    No it has 1200 hp engine. WTF would you need a 1500 hp engine for something weighing 50 tons?
                    to make it FLY. at a full Run most modern tanks can Jump things. It gives it a lot of mobility and is quite impressive.

Comment

Yea but i don't think germany sold them any 1500 hp engine nor are they capable of making one yet.

Comment

That's a little go-kart engine compared to this baby:
                        http://www.marshallputnamfair.org/images/tp-eng.jpg

Comment

it does not need germany to get 1500hp out of a large diesel engine. max power is also not the main thing with an engine, torque and it's availability over the speed band is the thing you should look at.

regards
                          axl

Comment

Exactly correct.
                            It's a combinationb of hp, torque, rpms, displacement, and other things that give an engine its power.

Comment

Originally posted by dabrownguy
                              Okay so I got fed up with people, mostly Chinese comparing a Type 99 tank with Abarms when they aren't even in the same weight class.
                              So I pick the T-90. It has a gun launched missile system and Kontact ERA. But I hear some unbelievable things about the Dazzeler system on the Chinese tank.
                              My choise - T - 90. I like it better!

Comment

Working...
                              X