Most vulnerable part of a BB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most vulnerable part of a BB?

So what would be the most vulnerable part of a Battleship?

And is the most vulnerable part of one class the same across the board? Meaning is the <part of ship> the most vulnerable part on a an Iowa and a Yamato?

I would have to say the Main Director postition would be be the most Vulnerable and would effect the fighting ability of the ship the most. Or is it the props, rudder or Bridge?

I could not see the engineering departments or turrets being that vulnerable as they get the most armor but Scharnhorst got whacked in the engine which slowed her down.

And just vulnerability to Naval Gunfire as there are already to many variables to take into account without bringing air dropped ordanance into the equation!

I'd say it really depends on what's shooting at it.

Comment

hmmm, Battleships are incredibly tough creatures.. and I think that it's going to be a matter of luck if you can destroy one.. a few that comes to mind (destroyed Battleships in combat) from lucky hits.

Bismarck a lucky hit that destroyed her steering gear.
      HMS Prince of Wales, lucky hit that destroyed her outer port propeller shaft.

those are a couple that come to mind, that were taken out with one or two easy hits.. (golden BB's)

Originally posted by Gun Boat View Post

And is the most vulnerable part of one class the same across the board? Meaning is the <part of ship> the most vulnerable part on a an Iowa and a Yamato?

I would have to say the Main Director postition would be be the most Vulnerable and would effect the fighting ability of the ship the most. Or is it the props, rudder or Bridge?

I could not see the engineering departments or turrets being that vulnerable as they get the most armor but Scharnhorst got whacked in the engine which slowed her down.

And just vulnerability to Naval Gunfire as there are already to many variables to take into account without bringing air dropped ordanance into the equation!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Boat View Post
        Same as any other weapon: the part between the ears of those who deploy and operate them :) .

William
        Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

If we are limited to naval gunfire, I would say the CIC, and the other soft skinned areas that have electrical, & fuel.

I left out the brige because on most BBs especially USA one these are armored up the wizzo.

Comment

Screws, prop shafts and rudders.

Take those out and its a sitting duck.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

If torpedoes were precisely programmed to explode dead center under the centerline keel AND be able to measure off the frame spacings using the main injection and discharge scoops for bench marks, only (CENSORED) torpedoes would be able to sink an Iowa class Battleship.

Divers would be more accurate but the (CENSORED) lbs of HBX for each spot needed to punch through the shell, innerbottom and third bottom would be too much for them to handle.
              Last edited by RustyBattleship; 10 May 10,, 04:57.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

If you could hit the rudders hard enough while she was turning that would make a big impact on a battleship's survivability, ripping open the bow when she is underway at speed does a lot of damage too. Blinding her by tearing up the superstructure and masts to take out all the sensors would provide a mission kill, though the turrets could still fight in local control. Triple redundancy is a common feature on battleships, so the battleship is the hardest ship type to sink. Look at how much punishment the two Yamato class ships took to sink. In the battleship's heyday, torpedoes, mines and heavy guided bombs were the most effective weapons. With modern weapons, battleships are years behind, that isn't really a fair or likely scenario, still they would probably be harder to sink than a carrier.
                With battleship gunfire alone, immobilizing the target and blinding it, then laying back and hunting around for a magazine hit, and you would need luck or a lot of ammo. The only battleships to be sunk by gunfire alone were built in WWI or earlier.
                Last edited by USSWisconsin; 10 May 10,, 06:17. Reason: added something
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Interesting note is that during the New Jersey's Vietnam deployment, a Soviet submarine Captain wrote years later that he actually tracked her for a time and set up a shooting sollution on her steering and prop areas.

True story or not, enough torpedo hits would take their toll.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow01 View Post
                    Interesting note is that during the New Jersey's Vietnam deployment, a Soviet submarine Captain wrote years later that he actually tracked her for a time and set up a shooting sollution on her steering and prop areas.

True story or not, enough torpedo hits would take their toll.
                    *When New Jersey sailed for Vietnam her Captain was directed to sail very close to Cuba's coast while underway, basically sending a message to those watching aka the Soviets which intern would inform its allies in Vietnam. So it was no secret and yes the US knew Russia was already playing intervention in Vietnam so it is only fitting that Russian subs be deployed for tracking. It made no difference in her battle record nor her effectivness. Russia was not going to risk an all out war or possible nuclear strike over Vietnam after the Cuban missle crisis finally quieted down. Russia knew we would go to the brink once again which was certainly not something she wanted to do after learning exactly what JFK had in mind nuclear strike wise. Torpedoing a US capital ship such as New Jersey would have done exactly that wether she sank or not the outcome would be almost as certain. Russia would no doubt have been attacked with a nuclear weapon or weapons. And just think, by that time Cuba was clear of Russian missles.

*Another turn of events in 1968 would have certainly made them think twice about war with the US during this time, the sinking of K-129 off American shores armed with nuclear warheads. For years many have thought that nothing was retrieved but very small pieces of the sub. Not true at all.

The very fact of that submarine being that close to US shores while the US knew Russia was involved in Vietnam was plenty enough grounds for such an attack.

The story is very close to being disclosed but even today many censored facts upon the book by the man that was there. Even so it may not disclose the diplomacy used at the time. Soviet Premier Boris Yeltsin would be the last to hear an offical word from the US on the subject.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7034913.ece

*Sorry guys but in a matter of moments the link I posted went bust

Another link: http://english.pravda.ru/news/russia...en_submarine-0
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 10 May 10,, 22:36.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Just finished reading The Last of the Tin Can Sailors concerning the Battle off Samar and the lead up to it. Seems that the surest way to slow down the Japanese battleships was a torpedo near the steering gear or a prop. This would slow them down to under 20 knots leaving them vulnerable if they didn't turn back. Since Japanese gunnery was nowhere as good as US gunnery the Japanese battleships would have been at an extreme disadvantage trying to slug it out. Granted that might be considered a lucky hit but look how many lucky hits there have been like Bismark. Bow damage would also slow a BB down and I would think the same is true for ships as jets, speed is life.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        Just finished reading The Last of the Tin Can Sailors concerning the Battle off Samar and the lead up to it. Seems that the surest way to slow down the Japanese battleships was a torpedo near the steering gear or a prop. This would slow them down to under 20 knots leaving them vulnerable if they didn't turn back. Since Japanese gunnery was nowhere as good as US gunnery the Japanese battleships would have been at an extreme disadvantage trying to slug it out. Granted that might be considered a lucky hit but look how many lucky hits there have been like Bismark. Bow damage would also slow a BB down and I would think the same is true for ships as jets, speed is life.
                        I cannot remember where but I recall that the torpedo planes were directed to aim for the bow and the stern and avoid the middle of the ship where the main armor belt was located.

This tactic was more intended to slow down the ship, (flooding and steering damage), than actually sinking her.

Just think if the planes failed to sink her their might have been a final BB duel.

Comment

Since only a third of aerial torpedoes successfully strike their target, I wouldn't suggest aiming for anything but the center of the target. Belt armor is not a torpedo defense, typically, but the best underwater protection is amidships.

Comment

If you open the bow up to the sea, You let the speed and momentem of the ship and the rush of seawater collapse the forward main bulkheads for you driving the ship even deeper into the water.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 10 May 10,, 22:33.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

In the sinking of the Musashi it is said that the American pilots capitalized on her armor deficiencies in the bow and forced her to slow down as a result. If actually true of the American pilots I would not know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X