Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona approves Bill requiring Obama to show his birth certificate

FOXNews.com - Ariz. House votes to check candidates' citizenship

PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona House has approved a bill that would require President Barack Obama to show his birth certificate if he hopes to be on the state's ballot for a re-election bid.

The House approved the measure on a 31-29 vote, sending it to the Senate.

It would require U.S. presidential candidates who want to appear on the ballot in Arizona to submit documents proving they meet the constitutional requirements to be president.

Supporters say the bill would help settle a controversy over whether Obama was born in the United States.

Opponents say it's a waste of time that makes Arizona mocked by the rest of the country. Obama has released his Hawaii birth certificate proving he's a "natural-born citizen" qualified to be president.

What was the argument put forth by gun-grabbers all the time? Why not register if you don't have anything to hide?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Idiot Birther bill. Now signed into law. Along with the "Driving while Hispanic" bill.

The idiots have taken over the asylum in Arizona.

The Constitution says that it is the responsibility of Congress as the Electoral College to verify eligibility if there is doubt.

Its not up to the state to decide if someone is eligible for federal office. Someone will sue, the law will be voided as unconstitutional.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        Idiot Birther bill. Now signed into law. Along with the "Driving while Hispanic" bill.

The idiots have taken over the asylum in Arizona.

The Constitution says that it is the responsibility of Congress as the Electoral College to verify eligibility if there is doubt.

Its not up to the state to decide if someone is eligible for federal office. Someone will sue, the law will be voided as unconstitutional.
        kind of like washington huh?

and it might not be up to the state to decide if they are or are not eligable, but whats to stop the state from requiring the proof that they are?
        and whats the big deal about actually requiring a canidate to prove they meet the legal requirements to hold the office they are running for?
        Last edited by bfng3569; 23 Apr 10,, 23:46.

Comment

Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
          and it might not be up to the state to decide if they are or are not eligable, but whats to stop the state from requiring the proof that they are?
          The Constitution. It is the responsibility of the Fed to make that decision, through the EC and certifying through a joint session of Congress.

If there is a question of "eligibility" all it takes is 1 Senator and 1 House member to bring it to the floor for investigation.

So in fact, the States do have a mechanism to require proof. Through their elected Federal members of Congress.

and whats the big deal about actually requiring a canidate to prove they meet the legal requirements to hold the office they are running for?
          Already a mechanism to do so.

The major parties send a letter to every State stating that their candidate meets all eligibility requirements so that their candidate can get on the ballot.

If the State has a reason to think that info is false, they can either take it up in the courts prior to the inauguration or at the EC certification in Congress.

A State doesn't have the Constitutional authority to impose their own requirements for a Federal office

Comment

I'm kind of surprised they haven't moved on to some theory Obama actually died as an infant and a kenyan was put in his place.
            Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
            ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

So much for the 'birthers' being a 'fringe' group comparable to 'truthers'. Firdt Dominionists set the curriculum in Texas, now 'birthers' passing bills in Arizona. The lunatic fringe just went mainstream. Glenn Beck must be so proud.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

McCain said if Obama doesn't like AZ. law, he can put troops on border.

Comment

By gosh, the states are acting feisty these days. But they be better off avoiding silly stuff like this.

Maybe it's a grab for campaign contributions. A congressman recently remarked (can't recall his name) that if he'd advocate shooting illegal immigrants and dumping their bodies over the border, donation to his campaign would quadruple overnight.

I doubt it will pass the AZ senate.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                    McCain said if Obama doesn't like AZ. law, he can put troops on border.

Julie:

Wasn't McCain talking about Arizona's new immigration law and isn't the border in question the Ariz-Mexican border?

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                      Julie:

Wasn't McCain talking about Arizona's new immigration law and isn't the border in question the Ariz-Mexican border?
                      Yes, but this involves alot of violence beginning to occur, and McCain had requested troops on the border, but wasn't granted. Then, poof, this occurs.

And yes, states are getting feisty these days, but I think the more power the Federal Government tries to wield, the feistier the States are going to become. History has proven this.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                        Yes, but this involves alot of violence beginning to occur, and McCain had requested troops on the border, but wasn't granted. Then, poof, this occurs.

And yes, states are getting feisty these days, but I think the more power the Federal Government tries to wield, the feistier the States are going to become. History has proven this.
                        I like it. Time the states started reminding the central government where it got its power. I am feeling like a loyal citizen of Virginia these day. I'm still 100% for the Union, but damned if I'll back a national popular vote for president. The states should decide who becomes president. But I stray... :)

Comment

Good for Arizona. Having been stationed there for four years, I can say that Arizonans are maverics compared to other states. If they think something needs to be done, they'll do it. The hell what the rest of the country thinks. The rest of the country doesn't live in Arizona and therefore shouldn't dictate how Arizonans should live.
                          Seems to me that if an ILLEGAL immigrant is in our country ILLEGALLY, shouldn't we send them back to where they came from so they can come back LEGALLY? Is it that hard to pull a small piece of plastic from one's pocket to prove their identity? Why is the constitution being applied to those ILLEGALLY in our country?
                          Will obama ever produce the actual birth certificate and put an end to the controversy? His certificate doesn't look like any of my in-laws' birth certificates (they were all born and raised in Hawaii). Though I do think he was born in Hawaii, he probably has some embarassing/controversial skeletons in his closet.
                          "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

I fully agree on all points.

Comment

The birth certificate issue is pure baloney. I don't have my original either, it's a copy.

There were two daily newspapers in Honolulu in 1961, both of them had birth announcements for Obama, as was the custom back then. I've seen them, the microfilm photocopies are available on various web sources.

As far as I'm concerned, that ends the question.

On the other matter, the Arizona border- it is complete chaos there, and if the federal gov't refuses to act, it's the responsibility of the state gov't to do so.

The Tuscon sector of CBP intercepted 241,000 illegals last year alone, in that ONE sector. They catch somewhere between 1/4 to 1/10 of them, so that tells us how many get through.

The violence is spilling over in a big way. There were 650 kidnappings in Phoenix last year. Ranchers getting murdered, gunfights with border patrol, there is a $250,000 bounty on border agents from the Juarez Cartel.

Absolutely we need National Guard on the southern border.
                              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                              X