PDA

View Full Version : Palin's fiscal credentials

Roosveltrepub
21 Apr 10,, 21:12
Is this true? It says state spending increased 38 percent while she was Governor. It's written by a Washington Times Editor not exactly lib central. How can she talk about controlling the growth of government with a straight face?

The American Spectator : The Problem With Palin (http://spectator.org/archives/2010/04/19/the-problem-with-palin/print)

highsea
21 Apr 10,, 23:31
Rosie- you can look at the AK budgets online. She cut state spending from Murkowski's levels. The author is only looking at the operating budget, which went from ~6.2 billion in FY07 (Murkowski) to ~6.6 billion for FY08 (Palin).

To get the whole picture you have to add up operating budget, capital budget, what the legislature actually spent, the permanent fund, account for vetos, etc.

Roosveltrepub
21 Apr 10,, 23:56
Is there anywhere you know of where it is easily accessible without wading through a huge pdf of spreadsheets? I'm curious now.

dalem
22 Apr 10,, 00:01
Is this true?

Of course it's true, because she speaks for and energizes a whole sh!tload of average Americans, and the Democrats are deathly afraid of average Americans.

-dale

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 00:07
Is this true?

Of course it's true, because she speaks for and energizes a whole sh!tload of average Americans, and the Democrats are deathly afraid of average Americans.

-dale

LOL you need to read the link Dale. It makes her out as a profligate spender. The Author is from the Washington Times not exactly a hotbed of liberalism.

dalem
22 Apr 10,, 00:16
LOL you need to read the link Dale. It makes her out as a profligate spender. The Author is from the Washington Times not exactly a hotbed of liberalism.

LOL no I don't. I'm not commenting on the article, I'm commenting on the fact that you still care about Palin as a factor for the conservative movement.

-dale

highsea
22 Apr 10,, 00:23
Is there anywhere you know of where it is easily accessible without wading through a huge pdf of spreadsheets? I'm curious now.No, you actually have to do a little work if you want the truth. Or you can just accept the crap that author spoon-fed you. Notice he failed to give any specifics?

BTW, the Washington Times is a conservative paper, true. As such, they allow liberal viewpoints.

They're not like HuffPo or Newsweek or the rest of the mainstream media, where anyone who's not a raging communist is called a "conservative". :rolleyes:

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 00:27
LOL no I don't. I'm not commenting on the article, I'm commenting on the fact that you still care about Palin as a factor for the conservative movement.

-dale

Well, she is a favorite of the tea partiers. I'd think about a vote for Newt myself

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 00:31
No, you actually have to do a little work if you want the truth. Or you can just accept the crap that author spoon-fed you. Notice he failed to give any specifics?

BTW, the Washington Times is a conservative paper, true. As such, they allow liberal viewpoints.

They're not like HuffPo or Newsweek or the rest of the mainstream media, where anyone who's not a raging communist is called a "conservative". :rolleyes:
Well, you seemed to be willing to say it was bullshit easy enough I assumed you knew a place or I wouldnt of asked. Plus, the Spectator is not a magazine without bias they are open about having a conservative tilt.

highsea
22 Apr 10,, 00:31
She's not going to run for office, she's concentrating on her media career.

So far she's made ~$12 million at it, so she's doing pretty well on the left's obsession with her.

I wish they hated me that much. :biggrin:

highsea
22 Apr 10,, 00:32
Well, you seemed to be willing to say it was bullshit easy enough I assumed you knew a place or I wouldnt of asked.I looked at the AK budgets for those years. You want that link?

dalem
22 Apr 10,, 00:47
She's not going to run for office, she's concentrating on her media career.

So far she's made ~$12 million at it, so she's doing pretty well on the left's obsession with her.

I wish they hated me that much. :biggrin:

You've got to get the Naughty Librarian look down better, I keep telling you that.

-dale

highsea
22 Apr 10,, 00:56
^^^ I'm going to need a lot of practice with photoshop to make that happen. :biggrin:

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 12:59
You've got to get the Naughty Librarian look down better, I keep telling you that.

-dale

I don't think you'll find a lot of liberals watching her on Fox or buying that book she wrote in record time.

Highsea I'll take that link. I am shocked a conservative magazine did a hitjob on her like that if what you said is true. You know roughly how much she cut total state spending while Governor?

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 13:11
Spending rose in Palin's Alaska administrations - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-23-palinspending_N.htm)

Never mind both you and that article are partly right. The capitol expenditure budget remained flat under Palin. I'm not sure if that's worse or better as a credential. It's like you increasing overhead in the front office while not doing anymore shop improvements isn't it? In her defense the state was flush with oil money and she did put some aside. I guess they are way in the red now maybe she picked a good time to bail. I'd think the budget worthy of improvement would of been the capitol budget not the operating one.

McFire
22 Apr 10,, 17:04
Her credentials are far better than Obama's. :biggrin:

How can he talk about anything with a straight face?

highsea
22 Apr 10,, 17:12
Well Rosie, your OP stated that state spending increased under Palin, but you didn't look at her proposed budgets. If you want to judge her ficscal credentials, that's where you should start.

FY07 spending was 10.02 Billion, her FY08 budget proposal was for 9.4 billion. That went up in FY09 to 10.5 billion, as you noted AK was flush with oil revenues.

In any case. it's not a 38% increase.

Alaska's Budget (http://gov.state.ak.us/omb/)

dalem
22 Apr 10,, 18:46
I don't think you'll find a lot of liberals watching her on Fox or buying that book she wrote in record time.

I bet you're wrong - they'll watch and read (maybe not buy, but read) her because they hate her so much. I never really pay attention to her myself because I already think she's pretty decent - as I've said in the past, she reminds me of my sister in a way.

But I presume that hate and fear drives a lot of the attention she's getting.

-dale

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 19:02
I bet you're wrong - they'll watch and read (maybe not buy, but read) her because they hate her so much. I never really pay attention to her myself because I already think she's pretty decent - as I've said in the past, she reminds me of my sister in a way.

But I presume that hate and fear drives a lot of the attention she's getting.

-dale

Most of the people I talk to don't hate her as much can't believe anyone can't see the Empress has no clothes

highsea
22 Apr 10,, 19:07
...I'd think the budget worthy of improvement would of been the capitol budget not the operating one.Have you ever been to Alaska? With the exception of Anchorage, Ketchikan, and Fairbanks, you can walk from one side of town to the other in about 5 minutes, no matter what town you visit. Ketchikan and Fairbanks takes 10 minutes.

Very few roads, very few people, very remote towns and villages. Alaska doesn't need new governent buildings- the biggest social requirement is providing medical care and K-12 education to remote villages. It's expensive due to the remote nature, everything has to be flown in by bush plane.

So if you're going to increase spending, I'd rather see it go the the residents in remote Alaska living subsistence lifestyles, rather than new office space for the legislature in Juneau.

McFire
22 Apr 10,, 20:48
Rosie,
Can't you just admit that Obama is a classless, empty-suit charlatan; the democrats bamboozled all of us and Fox News isn't really that bad? :tongue:

gunnut
22 Apr 10,, 20:56
Rosie,
Can't you just admit that Obama is a classless, empty-suit charlatan; the democrats bamboozled all of us and Fox News isn't really that bad? :tongue:

He can't. That's not on the agenda faxed to him in today's DNC news letter.

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 21:16
Rosie,

LOL, from a source as partisan as Faux.
The Ten Most Egregious Fox News Distortions (VIDEO) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/20/the-ten-most-egregious-fo_n_327140.html?slidenumber=0#slide_image)

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 21:19
Have you ever been to Alaska? With the exception of Anchorage, Ketchikan, and Fairbanks, you can walk from one side of town to the other in about 5 minutes, no matter what town you visit. Ketchikan and Fairbanks takes 10 minutes.

Very few roads, very few people, very remote towns and villages. Alaska doesn't need new governent buildings- the biggest social requirement is providing medical care and K-12 education to remote villages. It's expensive due to the remote nature, everything has to be flown in by bush plane.

So if you're going to increase spending, I'd rather see it go the the residents in remote Alaska living subsistence lifestyles, rather than new office space for the legislature in Juneau.
operating budget is not money to the people. Capitol means, airports, clinics etc. The bottom line is she has no history of cutting spending period.

dalem
22 Apr 10,, 21:19
LOL, from a source as partisan as Faux.
The Ten Most Egregious Fox News Distortions (VIDEO) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/20/the-ten-most-egregious-fo_n_327140.html?slidenumber=0#slide_image)

LOL, from a source as partisan as HuffPo.

Do you even get your own jokes, Rosie?

-dale

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 21:20
Her credentials are far better than Obama's. :biggrin:

How can he talk about anything with a straight face?

This is about Obama how?

highsea
22 Apr 10,, 22:43
operating budget is not money to the people. Capitol means, airports, clinics etc.So not only have you failed to answer my question, you haven't read the budgets.

Don't waste my time asking for details if you are too lazy to look at them.

Palin's FY07 Operating Budget:

http://www.gov.state.ak.us/omb/07_OMB/HB365bill.pdf

$758 Million for Health Care Services
$138 Million for Children's Services
$156 Million for Behavior Health
$36 Million for Alaska Pioneer Homes
$6.8 Million for Mt. Edgecombe Boarding School
$4.8 Million for Alaska Challenge Youth Academy
$209 Million for Teaching and Learning Support
$4.6 Million for Education Support Services
$37 Million for K-12 Support Services
$21 Million for Environmental Health
$240 Million for Public Assistance
$80 Million for Public Health
$334 Million for Senior and Disability Services
$22 Million for Child Support Services

Also included in that operating budget:
$68 Million for airports
$125 Million for the Ferry System
$91 Million for Design and Construction
$131 Million for Highways, Aviation, and Facilities
$43 Million for Veteran Services

Some totals:
$116 Million for Dept of Natural Resources
$136 Million for Dept of Public Safety
$480 Million for Dept of Transportation
$288 Million for Dept of Education and Early Childhood Development
$1.85 Billion for Dept of Health and Social Services
$107 Million for Dept of Labor and Workforce Development
$773 Million for University of Alaska

There's a lot more.

Total Operating Budget ~$5.1 Billion

The bottom line is she has no history of cutting spending period.Not only have I already showed that wrong, but fiscal responsibility doesn't even mean you HAVE to cut spending. As long as you're not running deficits, who cares?

Alaska has NO State income tax OR State sales tax, so big deal. If revenues are higher, you can spend more.

gunnut
22 Apr 10,, 22:57
A wise man once said "facts to a liberal is like kryptonite to Superman."

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 23:00
LOL, from a source as partisan as HuffPo.

Do you even get your own jokes, Rosie?

-dale

It's video of Fox Dale. I acknowledge the partisanship of the source unlike some who think Fox isnt just as tilted as MSNBC, Huffpo etc. A joke is anyone believing that fair and balanced crop. Watch the videos.

Roosveltrepub
22 Apr 10,, 23:01
A wise man once said "facts to a liberal is like kryptonite to Superman."
The article has the facts

Julie
23 Apr 10,, 01:21
Sarah Palin teams up with Americans for Prosperity

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin will speak at an upcoming Defending the American Dream Summit held by the free-market group Americans for Prosperity -- her third speech to a "tea party"-related outfit this year. (The first two were her February speech to the National Tea Party Convention and her March speech at a Tea Party Express rally.)

The daylong event, May 1st in Clarkson, Mich., will include a gubernatorial debate and several training sessions for conservative activists.

Palin's speech to the group will coincide with a visit to Michigan by President Obama -- he'll be giving a commencement speech at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, about 50 miles away from the AFP event.

Julie
23 Apr 10,, 01:24
Palin's objective isn't money, it's motivating the base. She's going toe-to-toe with the President, at the same time, and same place, just a different channel. It's up to the people to choose which channel.

Yall can say she's dingy if you want. I think she's clever. ;)

dalem
23 Apr 10,, 01:40
It's video of Fox Dale. I acknowledge the partisanship of the source unlike some who think Fox isnt just as tilted as MSNBC, Huffpo etc. A joke is anyone believing that fair and balanced crop. Watch the videos.

a) Can't watch videos here at work.
b) You appeared to be challenging the legitimacy of Fox with the legitimacy of HuffPo. I'll take Fox over HuffPo any day of the week. So will half the country. Is it skewed conservative? Sure it is, but not as much as you think. You see it as Far Right because you're on the Far Left. It's about as right of center as CNN is left of center, in my opinion.

-dale

Stitch
23 Apr 10,, 05:57
I'm not really paying any attention to Palin only because I don't consider her a serious politician; yeah, she's getting the Right all riled up, but where is she going? The Tea Party hasn't really adopted her yet (and probably never will), but she is making a TON of money from skewering the current Administration; that's easy to do when you're not the one in power (and are getting paid to do it!). I see McCain as more of a threat to the Left than I do Palin, even WITH his moderate views. And, just for the record, I didn't vote for He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named . . . .

dalem
23 Apr 10,, 06:58
In my opinion Palin's best role is as the official RNC cheerleader. Whether she is qualified to be President or not, I think that job has been permenently removed from her menu, but she is far too valuable to let go to waste.

She motivates and angers all the right people, and while that may be too polarizing for the Presidency, it's perfect for raising money and raising awareness.

But hell, maybe I'm way off and in 6 years I'll be voting for the Palin -Bachmann ticket. Wouldn't THAT be a helluva thing??? :)

-dale

Bluesman
23 Apr 10,, 07:02
In my opinion Palin's best role is as the official RNC cheerleader. Whether she is qualified to be President or not, I think that job has been permenently removed from her menu, but she is far too valuable to let go to waste.

She motivates and angers all the right people, and while that may be too polarizing for the Presidency, it's perfect for raising money and raising awareness.

But hell, maybe I'm way off and in 6 years I'll be voting for the Palin -Bachmann ticket. Wouldn't THAT be a helluva thing??? :)

-dale

If only one of 'em were black; we'd take two core voting blocks away from the Dems, simply because of racial and sexual identification.

Ain't that the way them inferior blacks and silly women think, Democrats?