• Show
Clear All

• Felon accused of running animal-sex farm

The Seattle Times

Friday, April 16, 2010 - Page updated at 11:01 PM

Felon accused of running animal-sex farm in Whatcom County

By Jennifer Sullivan

Seattle Times staff reporter

A Whatcom County man's friendship and aggressive support for a man convicted in the infamous Enumclaw horse-sex case led to his arrest this week for allegedly operating a bestiality farm just south of the Canadian border, federal prosecutors said Friday.

Douglas Spink, 39, a one-time dot.com millionaire, convicted drug smuggler and horse trainer, was quietly living on rural property south of Sumas when he connected with James Tait, who was in a Tennessee jail on a bestiality charge.

Tait had earlier been convicted of trespassing in 2005 in the Enumclaw case, in which a Gig Harbor man died after having sex with a horse.

The two men's communications set in motion an investigation that resulted in Spink's arrest Wednesday at the Sumas farm for suspicion of violating his federal probation for drug smuggling. Federal prosecutors and Whatcom County sheriff's officials say Spink also allowed people to come to the farm and have sex with animals.

He was "promoting tourism of this nature for bestiality," Whatcom County Sheriff Bill Elfo said Friday.

When county deputies and federal investigators searched the property they found videotapes that included images of a man, who was visiting the property, having sex with several large-breed dogs.

The man, a 51-year-old British national, was arrested for investigation of four counts of bestiality, Elfo said. He is being held in the Whatcom County Jail in lieu of $150,000, Elfo said.

On Wednesday, authorities took several animals, including horses and large-breed dogs, found on Spink's property into protective custody, Elfo said. Several mice were euthanized, he added. "At this point, we don't know how many people visited this location or how many engaged in illegal conduct," the sheriff said. "We'll see as the federal investigation unfolds."

The property, Exitpoint Stallions, is reportedly owned by Spink's mother.
    Spink appeared Friday in U.S. District Court in Seattle, where he was ordered held until an April 30 detention hearing.

"These are just allegations," Spink's attorney, Howard Phillips, said after the hearing. "My client said he has not been engaging in bestiality at all."

How and why Spink and Tait came to know one another is unclear, but in court Friday federal prosecutors explained how authorities were led to Spink.
    During the phone calls between Tait and Spink, the two men talked about their similar views on animals and bestiality, authorities said.

Spink was so concerned about Tait's arrest in Tennessee for bestiality that Spink called his friend's lawyers and even pretended to be an attorney himself, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Susan Roe. The phone calls from Spink came to the attention of police in Maury County, Tenn., who eventually learned that Spink was not a lawyer but was on federal probation on the drug-smuggling conviction, authorities said.

Maury County Detective Terry Chandler contacted U.S. Probation in Seattle, authorities said. Tennessee authorities turned over recorded jail phone calls between Spink and Tait to authorities building a case here.

Tait, 58, pleaded guilty in January in Tennessee to engaging in sexual activity with animals and was released on probation. As part of his own probation, Spink was forbidden from talking with other felons, Roe said.

Phillips, Spink's attorney, concedes that the two men conversed, but said that it was before Tait was convicted of the felony.

If convicted of the probation violation, Spink faces up to five years in prison, Roe said.

Spink is a former Portland businessman who prospered as a mergers-and-acquisitions entrepreneur during the height of the technology boom, but went bankrupt in 2002, according to The Oregonian. He has long trained horses, competed in jumping, and raised dogs, his lawyer said on Friday.

In 2005, Spink was arrested in Monroe after authorities found 371 pounds of cocaine in his car. Authorities said Spink was a drug runner for smuggler Robert Kesling, who once lived in Woodinville.

Spink was sentenced to about three years in federal prison after he cooperated with the government's investigation into two Seattle-area attorneys who were implicated in the drug-smuggling operation.

James L. White, a criminal-defense attorney and part-time Edmonds Municipal Court judge, and A. Mark Vanderveen, of Shoreline, were sentenced to federal prison time for accepting money from Kesling. Kesling was sentenced to 17 years in prison.

Spink was released from prison in May 2007.

In the Enumclaw case, a 45-year-old Gig Harbor man died after having sex with a horse on Tait's rental farm. Authorities charged Tait with trespassing at a neighbor's farm on the night of the man's death. Tait's neighbors told The Seattle Times in 2005 that they didn't know that people had been sneaking into their barn to have sex with their horses.

Tait was given a one-year suspended sentence.

In 2006, in response to the Enumclaw case, the Washington Legislature made bestiality a Class C felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Jennifer Sullivan: 204-464-8294 or [email protected]
    I was initially going to file this under “Tankie take a holiday”. But then I thought why would he leave merry ol’England when there are so many lonely sheep there.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Sheep? Don't forget Pari!
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

He just picked the wrong location. Legalized in Germany 40 years ago, at the same time as sodomy and adultery.

Comment

"several mice were euthanized...."

Uh, can someone explain that to me?

Comment

Remember that hamster Lemmiwinks in South Park?

Comment

Uh, no.

Comment

Gerbilling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gotta love Wikipedia...
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                "several mice were euthanized...."

Uh, can someone explain that to me?

Perhaps they were conducting felching sessions.

Urban legend or not it makes for ummmm interesting readiing.

Article from the L.A. Times ???

"In retrospect, lighting the match was my big mistake. But I was only trying to retrieve the gerbil," Eric Tomaszewski told bemused doctors in the Severe Burns Unit of Salt Lake City Hospital. Tomaszewski, and his homosexual partner Andrew "Kiki" Farnum, had been admitted for emergency treatment after a felching session had gone seriously wrong.

"I pushed a cardboard tube up his rectum and slipped Raggot, our gerbil, in," he explained. "As usual, Kiki shouted out "Armageddon", my cue that he'd had enough. I tried to retrieve Raggot but he wouldn't come out again, so I peered into the tube and struck a match, thinking the light might attract him." At a hushed press conference, a hospital spokesman described what happened next.

"The match ignited a pocket of intestinal gas and a flame shot out the tubing, igniting Mr Tomaszewski's hair and severely burning his face. It also set fire to the gerbil's fur and whiskers which in turn ignited a larger pocket of gas further up the intestine, propelling the rodent out like a cannonball."

Tomaszewski suffered second degree burns and a broken nose from the impact of the gerbil, while Farnum suffered first and second degree burns to his anus and lower intestinal tract.

TOP TEN SCARIEST THINGS ABOUT THIS STORY

10) "I pushed a cardboard tube up his rectum . . ."
                Ouch!!!

9) "So I peered into the tube . . ." Aaaaaahhhhhhh. I'm sorry, but that's like looking through a telescope into hell. I'd rather use binoculars to stare at the sun.

8) That poor gerbil (who obviously suffers from low self-esteem) being shot out of the guy's anus like Rocky the Flying Squirrel on Rocky Bullwinkle.

7) Suffering a broken nose from a gerbil being launched out of someone's anus. I'm just guessing, but I seriously doubt the said gerbil was springtime fresh after his little journey into Kiki's "tunnel of love."

6) People walking around with these volcanic-like pockets of gas in their rectums.

5) People who do this kind of thing and then admit what they were doing when taken to the emergency room. Sorry, but I think I would have made up a story about a gang of roving, pyromaniac, anal sex fiends breaking into my house and sodomizing me with a charcoal lighter before I admitted the truth. Call me old fashioned, but I just can't imagine looking at a doctor and saying "Well doc, it's like this. See we have this gerbil named Raggot and we took this cardboard tube . . ."

4) "First and second degree burns to the anus". Wouldn't this make the burning itch and discomfort of hemmoroids a welcome relief? does one ever take a healthy poop after something like this? And the smell of burning anus must be in the top five most horrible scent on the face of God's green earth.

3) People named "Kiki" which is obviously a Polynesian word for: Idiotic white men who insert rodents up their butts."

2) What kind of a hospital would hold a press conference on this?

1) This happened in Salt Lake City. What kind of people are those Mormons? I'm starting to get a whole new image of the Osmond family.
                Last edited by tim52; 19 Apr 10,, 21:21.
                Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

Very astute and in depth summary and conclusion drawn. Well done, good sir!

Comment

NOOOoooooooo...........!

For the love of everything that's holy in this world, somebody....anybody please make me forget the last 2 minutes of my life. :(

Comment

Think of SWSNBN...

And then think of SWSNBN with a gerbil...

Comment

Speaking of which....now I know how the colonel feels whenever we mention her name.

I swear colonel, I will never, ever mention her name ever again on this board.....or before someone else mentions her name first....whichever occurs first.

Comment

You feel like taking a gerbil and sticking it where the sun don't shine? (And I don't mean New Jersey...)

Comment

Sloppy seconds ain't my style.

Comment

Originally posted by tim52 View Post
                              I was initially going to file this under “Tankie take a holiday”. But then I thought why would he leave merry ol’England when there are so many lonely sheep there.
                              Which reminds me of when Lester Piggot got jailed for tax evasion , on his 1st night the warder was in his cell and taking down his trousers , Lester said WTF dya think ya doing , he said come here , i aint never rode a derby winner before

Ps all the lonely sheep live in Wales matey

Comment

Working...
                              X