PDA

View Full Version : China is building her own second generation Beidou system

oneman28
25 Apr 05,, 15:31
including 4 (static Geosynchronous orbit) + 12 (Medium Earth Orbit orbit)+ 9 (high orbit) satellites.

The system is based on the first generation of "Beidou" system which has only 3 satellites and covers only China and around.

The second generation system will cover the earth in 2010 and commercial usage will begin in 2008. The first satellite of this system will be launched this summer.

Ray
25 Apr 05,, 18:45
Aha!

Now the Red Star will watch the world! ;)

coolieno99
02 May 05,, 05:41
including 4 (static Geosynchronous orbit) + 12 (Medium Earth Orbit orbit)+ 9 (high orbit) satellites.

The system is based on the first generation of "Beidou" system which has only 3 satellites and covers only China and around.

The second generation system will cover the earth in 2010 and commercial usage will begin in 2008. The first satellite of this system will be launched this summer.

Is this a GPS system? I read somewhere China planned to join the European GPS system Galileo. :cool:

oneman28
02 May 05,, 19:58
Is this a GPS system? I read somewhere China planned to join the European GPS system Galileo. :cool:

Yes, this is a GPS-like system. China only will invest about $200 million and participate in the European project.

Beidou (NorthStar) system is a domestic one. Beidou -1 was finished last year which was mainly for testing purpose. I think the military is the only user of Beidou 1 so far.

coolieno99
03 May 05,, 05:47
Yes, this is a GPS-like system. China only will invest about $200 million and participate in the European project.

Beidou (NorthStar) system is a domestic one. Beidou -1 was finished last year which was mainly for testing purpose. I think the military is the only user of Beidou 1 so far.

The Beidou-2 is probably going to be China's most advance satellite system. I always thought the 3 satellite Beidou-1 is not enough, but as you said it is really just a test system. Where do you get your information on the Beidou-2 system from? :cool: