Need suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestion

I need make one PPT to introduce the differences between America and Britain.But now I still haven't decided which aspect to talk about .I ever plan to write the differences in political system,but it has too many elements to write and it's boring,I don't think my classmates have the interest to hear it.So do you have any interesting topic about it?I really want to hear the idea of you guys,especially these people who ever live in these nations.That's must be interesting when we suffer the Cultural Differences even if the culture of America and Britain is similar.
    Last edited by Luke Gu; 13 Apr 10,, 15:15.

Besides the differences in accents, the main difference is America does not have a Monachy. For example, Americans cannot have a knighthood bestowed upon them, though they are allowed to receive recognition and medals for actions that are in the best interest of both Nations (such as medals of bravery in wartime).

Other than that, we're pretty much the same. We supported England in World Wars 1 & II, England support us during the Korean War, Australia supported us in Viet Nam, America supported England in the Falklands War, Britain supported us in both Gulf Wars.

As many countries recognize dual citizenship, America does not except under special circumstances awarded by Congress. Lafeyette of France who supported the American Revolution was the first man given honorary American citizenship. Winston Churchill was the second man to receive that honor. He found it a bit ironic as his mother was actually an American.

It is interesting that the amendments of the American Constitution is based upon British Common Law that was first introduced by King John (brother of deceased King Richard) signing the Magna Carta (Major Charter). Mythology speaking, that's ironic as when King John was still just a Prince but sitting in for his brother, Richard who was in the Crusades, his greatest civil enemy was the legendary Robin Hood.

I once read an interesting note of an American family where the Grandmother of the wife was veddy veddy British. They never argued about whether America was better than England, just debated and joked about it.

One day, she was asked outright, "Well, if England is so great, what do you think about the American Revolution in 1776?".

She answered, "Oh, that was one of England's greatest victories."

"What? How can you say that?" she was asked.

She answered, "Simple. It was English colonists revolting against a German King."

And for one last bit of trivia, a geneological society traced back the ancestrys of both King George III and George Washington and found that they were actually distant (very distant) cousins.

Not surprising as in WW I, King George V, Kaiser Welhelm of Germany and Czar Nicolas of Russia were all cousins tracing their heritage back to Queen Victoria.

Small world, isn't it?
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Food, Music, Art, Clothing, Industry, Infastructure, Transportation, Law etc. Lots of possibilities to write about cultural exchanges.:)
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

British drive on left side of the roads, Americans on right
        British use lifts while Americans use elevators
        In Britain entrance is on the ground floor while Americans have their on the first floor
        British prefer their -our to simple -or
        British football players are forbidden to touch the ball with their hands (except goalkeepers)
        Rugby is played without protection while american football players wear about same ammount of armor as medieval knight

so basically we are talking about two different species

Comment

Americans put ketchup on our fries, Brits use vinegar. yuk.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

We have lots of guns.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              We have lots of guns.
              And we have baseball and apple pie. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Gu View Post
                I need make one PPT to introduce the differences between America and Britain.
                As a Scot living in Canada, there are a few very important things to consider.
                • Brits have a pint - Americans have a beer
                • Brits don't pray - Americans do
                • Brits have a sense of humour - you get the idea
                • Brits have a pint -

And last but not least, we are on the same side. :)

Comment

Brits don't pray - Americans do
                  What’s the meaning of it?Can you explain it?Is it have the relationship of Christian categories?
                  We have lots of guns.
                  This is one interesting question:why does American have so many guns?

Comment

Because we can.

Seriously though. Many Americans believe in being independent and responsible. We keep guns for sport, hunting and protection. when it comes to self preservation, I treat a gun just like I would a fire extinguisher, a seatbelt, my emergency generator, etc.. It is a tool for survival be it used for killing food or killing someone that wants to deprive me and my family of our life, liberty or pursuit of a decent meal, shelter, etc..

Like locks keep an honest man honest, guns do the same. An old saying we have here is "God may have made men, but Sam Colt made them equal".

Guns put the weaker man, woman or crippled on an even playing field with the thug that would prey upon them. And btw, crime is not an American thing, its a human thing.

The other thug is the corrupt elite that attempt to usurp the peoples power from our grasp. Hopefully it won't, but someday we may have to defend these things from them as well.

That is why we have guns and refuse to give them up, lest we be comfortable living at the leisure of others.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      We have lots of guns.
                      You do, lol.

I'm all the way down to about 9 or 10.
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

To make sure that that pesky Santa Anna don't try to get his mitts on the Alamo:))

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                          You do, lol.

I'm all the way down to about 9 or 10.
                          Then as you must now be feeling so vulnerable I sure hope you have a Safe Room;)

Comment

Let me illustrate 7th's point:
                            Attached Files
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I'd take the rubber and the cell phone over that Glock!!;)

Comment

Working...
                              X