• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another crewmember passes into history

Enola Gay crewman dies at 87

By Oskar Garcia - The Associated Press
    Posted : Thursday Apr 8, 2010 21:40:39 EDT

LAS VEGAS — Morris Jeppson, a weapons test officer aboard the Enola Gay who helped arm the atomic bomb dropped over Hiroshima, has died in a Las Vegas hospital. He was 87.

Molly Jeppson, the wife of the Air Force second lieutenant who flew only one combat mission, told The Associated Press on Thursday that her husband died March 30 at Summerlin Hospital Medical Center.

Jeppson’s wife said her husband was taken to the hospital several days earlier after complaining of a violent headache.

Molly Jeppson described her husband as a “great, wonderful” man who spoke with her and their children about his role aboard the Enola Gay.

“He told me that he was just doing the job and that’s what they all were doing,” Molly Jeppson said. “They all felt that way that were on the plane.”

A coin toss put Jeppson on the infamous B-29 bomber that dropped the first of two atomic bombs which helped bring an end to World War II.

Jeppson mostly avoided the inevitable spotlight that came with his role in the war, but stepped forward later in his life to ensure his place in history and share his views about the Aug. 6, 1945 bombing that would change the world.

“It’s not a proud thing. It was a devastating thing,” Jeppson said in a 2003 interview. “It’s unfortunate, but it probably saved hundreds of thousands of American lives and many more Japanese lives.”

Jeppson’s death means navigator Theodore “Dutch” Van Kirk is the Enola Gay’s last surviving crewman.

Jeppson went to graduate school at the University of California, Berkeley, after leaving the military. His wife said they were married 49 years and had spent more than 20 years living in Las Vegas after moving from Carmel, Calif.

Jeppson helmed a handful of high-tech companies and worked as a consultant for the U.S. Department of Energy.

Molly Jeppson said her husband did not want services, and that his body was cremated and the ashes spread over the Nevada desert.

Along with his Molly Jeppson, his second wife, Jeppson is survived by brother Lawrence Jeppson of Salt Lake City; two daughters Nancy Hoskins of Colorado Springs, Colo., and Carol English of Medford, Ore., from his first marriage; daughter Sally Jeppson of Gackle, N.D.; stepdaughter Jane Ross of Midland, Ontario; stepsons Mike Sullivan of Pahrump and John Sullivan of Lakeport, Calif.; 11 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

*I believe there is only one left now. I had the privelage of being aboard ship when BGen. Paul Tibbets visited the Veterans aboard and signed books for them after its release. I felt as though I was seeing living history. You dont get many chances to see such things so take advantage of every chance you get.Thankfully, we have the pics to remember that day.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 09 Apr 10,, 14:16.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

This reminds me a bit of the Tontine formed by the Doolittle raiders, which was on display at the Air Force Academy when I was there, but is now in Ohio, I believe, perhaps at Wright-Pat. There was a display case of walnut. In the middle was a bottle of fine, ancient brandy. Each crewmember had a personal silver chalice in a separate niche; those passed on were inverted. The last two alive will open the brandy and toast their comrades. It gave you chills just to look at it.

These historic figures are steadily leaving us. RIP.

Comment

Wow, that incredible about the brandy.
      Originally posted by GVChamp
      College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

His daughter lives in Gackle? That's not far from me.

Here's to one more hero out of a generation of them.

I doubt we'll see their like again.
        sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Working...
        X