PDA

View Full Version : Sad day...

chakos
08 Apr 10,, 23:24
Sad day for our family today. My grandma passed away this morning aged 99 years . A strong woman who raised a wonderful family through 3 wars, poverty and hardship. Never complained (well, compared to most other Greek old women), never whined (ditto) never expected a thing from anyone(ever).

In our eyes she always was a Titan. Tonight she dines with them.

Theodosia Mavrakis a.k.a Yiayia Theothosou, 1911 (date unknown)-9/4/2010

Sorely missed

bigross86
08 Apr 10,, 23:44
RIP.

המקום ינחמכם בתוך אבלי ציון וירושלים

May the Omnipresent comfort you amongst the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem

xinhui
08 Apr 10,, 23:48
rip

chakos
08 Apr 10,, 23:51
Thanks buddy,

You know i just had a giggle at the thought that if she was able to read or write enough to post here (she was completelly illiterate) she would have the kind of Liberterian tendencies that would make our own Sniper here look tame in comparison :tongue:

The woman was known to sit on her porch back in her village in Cyprus and keep the tax collectors away (back then they would come to your house to collect) by shooting at them (warning shots only i swear :cool:) with my grandfathers old martini rifle.

Drinks to you yiayia

Doomarias
09 Apr 10,, 01:34
Rip

Shamus
09 Apr 10,, 01:37
Our condolences and prayers go out to you and your family my friend.She sounds like someone I would have liked to have met ;) .

Officer of Engineers
09 Apr 10,, 01:39
My prayers and I can only thank your grandmother for giving us you.

highsea
09 Apr 10,, 01:43
I'll drink one tonite for your grandma chakos.

Celebrate her life, friend. 99 years is quite an accomplishment.

gunnut
09 Apr 10,, 02:31
My condolences.

My grandma would have been 100 years old this year. She passed away 3 years ago.

These ladies from another time and half a world away sure were tough.

Rastagir
09 Apr 10,, 06:36
Zoi se esas, patriotaki mou.

I hope your grandmother passed away a happy woman, surrounded by family. My most sincere condolences.

Gunnut, you should see my Graet-Grandmother, named Mariori. The woman beat to death the mill owner with a wooden stick because he made a pass at her (Oh, happy times!)

dave lukins
09 Apr 10,, 09:24
Chakos, she will forever be in your life and heart..Deepest condolences

"A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried."

Bora
09 Apr 10,, 10:44
Rip

tankie
09 Apr 10,, 11:09
Rip.

Silent Hunter
09 Apr 10,, 21:06
Rest In Peace.

citanon
09 Apr 10,, 21:36
Rip.

Debbie
09 Apr 10,, 23:33
Chakos.....deep sympathy for your loss. From what you have posted she sounds like a fiesty old soul.....a wonderful woman.

chakos
10 Apr 10,, 18:28
Thanks for all your support guys, appreciate it :)

2DREZQ
10 Apr 10,, 19:20
Those tough old ladies were part of another age, another time. I wonder if we will see their like again.
I'll raise a toast to her memory.

Bigfella
11 Apr 10,, 01:29
Sad to hear the news mate. She sounds like quite a lady. She may be gone, but her legacy will last long after you & I have joined her.

They were a tough old breed that generation. Lost my grandma a few years back at the ripe old age of 99. Born into a world of horse & cart, lived to see man on the moon. I don't know if there will ever be another generation that stands astride such a remarkable time in human history.

Ny thoughts are with your family.