• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koffi, resign

Investigator Decries Oil-for-Food Probe

1 hour, 9 minutes ago

Add to My Yahoo! Top Stories - AP

By DESMOND BUTLER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A senior investigator from Paul Volcker's independent committee into allegations of corruption in the U.N. oil-for-food program criticized his former employer Saturday for misrepresenting the grounds for his resignation earlier this month.

Photo
    AP Photo

AFP Photo
    AFP
    Slideshow Slideshow: Oil-for-Food Corruption Probe

The investigator, Robert Parton, confirmed a report by The Associated Press earlier this week that he had resigned along with another investigator to protest recent findings by the committee that cleared U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan of meddling in the $64 billion program.

Parton's statement comes after a member of the committee discounted reports that the two investigators had left the Independent Inquiry Committee because they believed the report was too soft on the secretary-general.

"Contrary to recent published reports, I resigned my position as Senior Investigative Counsel for the IIC not because my work was complete but on principle," Parton said.

Richard Goldstone, one of the three committee members, along with Mark Pieth and Volcker, told CNN earlier this week that the two senior investigators Robert Parton and Miranda Duncan had left because their work was complete.

A person close to Parton said his contract ran until August.

A spokesperson for the Volcker Committee would not immediately comment on the statement.

The real war for oil...
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
    X