Shek: Info on the LOSAT replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shek: Info on the LOSAT replacement

New TOW round, flight speed of Mach 6.6!

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/briefs/112102.htm

Raytheon demonstrates hypersonic flight of compact kinetic energy missile

TUCSON, Ariz., (Nov. 21, 2002) - A Raytheon-led team successfully demonstrated a compact kinetic energy missile at a speed of more than Mach 6.6.

The test firings, which took place Nov. 5 and Nov. 7 in Norway, are a continuation of a series of successful flight tests of Raytheon's design concept. The flight series began Aug. 6. The Raytheon research and development effort, called Hypervelocity Anti-Tank Missile (HATM), has a principal goal of testing technologies applicable to the U.S. Army's Compact Kinetic Energy Missile (CKEM) program.

The HATM ballistic test vehicle (BTV) is six-inches in diameter and 50-inches in length, providing potential compatibility with over 6,000 existing Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire-guided (TOW) launch systems in the U.S. Army and Marine Corps.

During the most recent tests, the HATM BTV achieved a speed in excess of Mach 6.6, approximately 2.2 kilometers per second. In addition to validating performance predictions, the test successfully demonstrated the separation of the low drag kill vehicle from the booster. A separating kill vehicle and booster is key to achieving a compact lightweight design.

Earlier flight tests demonstrated the ability of the airframe to withstand the launch and acceleration environments.

The Raytheon HATM is unique in that it is suited for light tactical vehicles requiring high firepower on a single chassis while retaining mobility and tactical relevance. The objective weapon system known as CKEM will defeat various targets, including predicted advanced armor targets. HATM, with a peak velocity greater than Mach 6.0, enables the user to engage four targets in 20 seconds with overwhelming kinetic energy lethality.

"The success of the HATM tests validates the team's investments in advanced technology and innovative design to meet the U.S. Army's CKEM requirements," said Paul Walker, vice president, Raytheon Missile Systems, Land Combat product line, Tucson, Ariz.

Participating with Raytheon in this program are Alliant Techsystems and NAMMO Nordic Ammunition Company, which are responsible for the design, development and manufacture of the state-of-the-art solid rocket propulsion system. The tests were conducted on the military test range at Hjerkinn, Norway, with support of the Norwegian Army.

With headquarters in Lexington, Mass., Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) is a global technology leader in defense, government and commercial electronics, and business and special mission aircraft.

###

interesting
    for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

I didn't realize that it's primary kill mechanism was KE. I had seen a video, which was impressive. I wasn't so impressed a few months back when I saw a picture of the HMMWV that carries the LOSAT and the fact that you have to orient the HMMWV in order to fire the missile. I wonder if that is because a HMMWV doesn't have enough a** to withstand the force. There was talk that the ATGM Strykers would get the LOSAT in the next couple of years, making me wonder if it can be mounted into a hammerhead if the vehicle weighs enough. It would definitely be an improvement over the TOW if that were the case, although the IR guided TOW, or TOIR, would close the gap. Wires and water are a significant factor for the TOW's use in Iraq, although I know that my BDE fired several (my old MGS section SGT fired one - he had made E7 and was the PSG in another company - it was during the April Al-Sadr/1st Fallujah and the insurgents tried some major engagements in downtown Mosul around the City Hall. He spotted a pickup truck with a group of insurgents coming towards his position and after the TOW destroyed the truck, the insurgents got the message and things calmed down quite a bit) biggrin:
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Yeah, because of LOSATS recoil it could only be fired in the fwd arc, which greatly limited it's utility(which was the main reason i thought it was a stupid idea to begin with, lol).

This new TOW is compatible with all TOW launch systems, and should pretty much quadruple your effectiveness against tanks(for the board: the biggest problem with ATGMs is their high TOF, giving fired-upon tanks the opportunity to counter-fire at the ATGM position and kill it before the missile hits).

At mach 6.6 the TOF to 3000 meters is about 1.1 seconds... :)

Comment

Very Impressive
          for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

Scary impressive.

Mach 6.6....that's almost 1000mph faster than a Phoenix missile.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
              Scary impressive.

Mach 6.6....that's almost 1000mph faster than a Phoenix missile.
              Will that kill an Abrams tank head on through its strongest armour point?

Comment

wouldn't it be safe to say that this monster could take any tank head-on
                for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

Does it even have/need a warhead?
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yeah, because of LOSATS recoil it could only be fired in the fwd arc, which greatly limited it's utility(which was the main reason i thought it was a stupid idea to begin with, lol).

This new TOW is compatible with all TOW launch systems, and should pretty much quadruple your effectiveness against tanks(for the board: the biggest problem with ATGMs is their high TOF, giving fired-upon tanks the opportunity to counter-fire at the ATGM position and kill it before the missile hits).

This thing even need a guidance package?

Comment

probably not, since it is going 6,776 ft/sec (with speed of sound=700mph).
                      I once watched this tv show (I think it was History Channel, but wasn't sure) with big guns, and they said the US was testing a rail gun that shot a 4cm rod 59 mi. in 7 seconds. That's 44,502.86 miles per hour my friends.
                      Of course Fermi-Lab can accelerate atoms at 99.995% the speed of light. My dad worked there once.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster
                        Will that kill an Abrams tank head on through its strongest armour point?
                        I don't know for sure, but my guess is yes. I know that research is being done on hyperkinetic weapons (I don't think the LOSAT is in this class) that will register a kill based only on kinetic energy. The factoid that I heard is that with this class of hyperKE weapons, even if you could armor a MBT of 70+ tons enough to prevent penetration, the KE would throw the tank 700 meters. Ouch.

This is why there is a big push for active defense measures to be the primary means of defense for the FCS. However, I'd still be more comfortable with also having passive measures such as 70 tons of armor keeping me safe. We'll see how the active measures mature and if they'll be able to really replace the passive armoring of armored vehicles against AT threats.
                        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

For comparison, I believe the TOF for a TOW at max effective range (3750m) is 23 seconds, which is fine as long as the tank can't range

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                            Does it even have/need a warhead?
                            LOL

well, it is a TOW, wire-guided

"Of course Fermi-Lab can accelerate atoms at 99.995% the speed of light. My dad worked there once."

are you absolutely sure of this, because light travels at 186,000 miles per second, or 300,000 kilometres per second, so that's an insane speed

if that is true, that's some pretty sick ****

i was reading something on another site, and now i can't find it, so armour such as Chobham armour is "passive" armour? and ERA is "active" armour, or the other way around, i forgot, thanks
                            for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

Originally posted by Dima
                              "Of course Fermi-Lab can accelerate atoms at 99.995% the speed of light. My dad worked there once."

are you absolutely sure of this, because light travels at 186,000 miles per second, or 300,000 kilometres per second, so that's an insane speed
                              He's almost correct. The Tevatron at Fermilab accelerates packets of protons to 1 TeV (~0.9999995 C). So it's 99.99995% of light speed, and it's just protons, not whole atoms (the electrons are stripped off before the protons are injected into the accelerator).

Incidentally, it can do the same thing with antiprotons, reversing their direction in the ring and slamming them into the protons going the other direction. It makes for some interesting collisions.

ERA= explosive reactive armor, i.e. "active".
                              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                              X