PDA

View Full Version : USMC and Diabetes

ASparr
02 Apr 10,, 05:41
I don't know where this goes exactly but this seems alright.

So a very, very good friend of mine just learned that he has Type 1 Diabetes. He is 3 years into PLC at a college nearby where I live. All he has ever wanted to be was a marine and now I learn that this [diabetes] is a disqualifying condition to join the Marine Corps. He is devastated. I am devastated. This young man would be an exemplary marine and now he probably can't join. After discussing this over a few [lot] of drinks he decided he's gonna do everything he can to stay in.

So, I guess it comes down to: Can your type 1 diabetes be waived, medically? Can he still join the Marine Corps?

This kid... Shit... He's amazing and because of this ****ed up hand God dealt him he can't do his hearts desire. Shit,.

Blue
02 Apr 10,, 06:35
God has nothing to do with it. This is beatable. Go see a Homeopathist, get the treatment, and go reapply for service. Its exactly what I did.

My grandfather was my first recruiter, Navy. I was rejected because I was on medication for gut problems. I went home, flushed my scrips down the toilet and went to see my dads "witchdoctor" cousin. A few herbs later, all conditions were clear, I went back to the MEPS again and shipped out, never looked back. In the meantime I discovered that my own GF LIED to me as far as MOS's go, so I checked out the other three branches and that second time at MEPS, I left for the Army.

Diabetes is way beatable, I have quite a few family members with it including my dad with type 2 and his cousin with type 1. I was diagnosed years ago, but corrected my diet, exercised and took herbal supplements and I am so healthy now it should be against the law! Btw, that was 25 years ago, all is still good. I have none of the problems to this day despite the fact I have gained a lot of weight since those younger years.

Gun Grape
02 Apr 10,, 07:39
I don't know where this goes exactly but this seems alright.

So a very, very good friend of mine just learned that he has Type 1 Diabetes. He is 3 years into PLC at a college nearby where I live. All he has ever wanted to be was a marine and now I learn that this [diabetes] is a disqualifying condition to join the Marine Corps. He is devastated. I am devastated. This young man would be an exemplary marine and now he probably can't join. After discussing this over a few [lot] of drinks he decided he's gonna do everything he can to stay in.

Drunk and diabetic. Add stupid to the list of your friends problems. If he keeps it up he will be a blind quadriplegic.

So, I guess it comes down to: Can your type 1 diabetes be waived, medically? Can he still join the Marine Corps?

No it cannot be waived. It shouldn't be waived. He cannot be a Marine.
Find something else to do.

This kid... Shit... He's amazing and because of this ****ed up hand God dealt him he can't do his hearts desire. Shit,.

Its called life. Deal with it.

ShawnG
02 Apr 10,, 12:23
^^ Spoken like a true Gunny---OOrah.

astralis
02 Apr 10,, 14:20
7th,

God has nothing to do with it. This is beatable. Go see a Homeopathist, get the treatment, and go reapply for service. Its exactly what I did.

depends on the level of diabetes. if it isn't too bad, a fairly strict diet that restricts sudden glucose influx (ie don't eat tons of sugar at once, which is a great idea regardless) can control it without meds. i'm pre-disposed towards developing type 2 myself so i have a vested interest in making sure it doesn't happen at all :biggrin:

if it's too severe, not taking meds can be life-threatening.

Blue
02 Apr 10,, 14:54
depends on the level of diabetes. if it isn't too bad, a fairly strict diet that restricts sudden glucose influx (ie don't eat tons of sugar at once, which is a great idea regardless) can control it without meds. i'm pre-disposed towards developing type 2 myself so i have a vested interest in making sure it doesn't happen at all :biggrin:

if it's too severe, not taking meds can be life-threatening.

Oh ye of little faith.....this from a man that comes from a land with over 2000 years of medical experience.:biggrin::rolleyes:

Western doctors and thier "medicine" offered me no cure or relief. I am no longer convinced of its effectiveness, especially now that the govt has taken it over.:frown:

ShawnG
02 Apr 10,, 15:16
Oh ye of little faith.....this from a man that comes from a land with over 2000 years of medical experience.:biggrin::rolleyes:

Western doctors and thier "medicine" offered me no cure or relief. I am no longer convinced of its effectiveness, especially now that the govt has taken it over.:frown:

No no no... Los drogas estan tremendas amigo.

I've never had a problem with Western doctors--especially since Tricare pays them in full for services rendered. The only thing I have had recently is banged up ankles from repeated trauma/sprains which led to stretched and elongated tendins. Ortho doctors at the Hershey Med Center gave me anti-inflammatories, ankle braces (that I haven't worn since) and a regimen of physical therapy to strengthen/tighten them back up.

I usually self-medicate with Tylenol and Tylenol PM. The non-recalled ones, of course ;)

astralis
02 Apr 10,, 15:30
eric,

Oh ye of little faith.....this from a man that comes from a land with over 2000 years of medical experience.

Western doctors and thier "medicine" offered me no cure or relief.

hell, even in china/taiwan these days, most people will look at TCM for minor ailments but switch to western medicine for major.

i think the new trend of integrative medicine, combining use of TCM within western medicine, is a pretty good one. we've clearly seen that TCM does pretty well it comes to taking care of chronic disease...it's not so great for more urgent cases.

right now i'm actually doing something like this-- i have a persistent stomach acid problem. when it's severe, i rely on prilosec, but i find that drinking a chrystanemum silver needle tea (TCM cooling properties) and taking chinese herbal medicine does wonders in keeping it under control most of the time.

Blue
02 Apr 10,, 15:31
No no no... Los drogas estan tremendas amigo.

......pero a veces el remedio es peor que la enfermedad!;)

Blue
02 Apr 10,, 15:55
hell, even in china/taiwan these days, most people will look at TCM for minor ailments but switch to western medicine for major.

i think the new trend of integrative medicine, combining use of TCM within western medicine, is a pretty good one. we've clearly seen that TCM does pretty well it comes to taking care of chronic disease...it's not so great for more urgent cases.

The FDA would complicate the process here to the point of making it cost prohibitive.

Example: Scurvy is a vitamin C defiency. FDA policy states that any substance that can cure a disease is a drug. Therefore, Vitamin C is a drug. Drugs must be regulated according to them. There have been several attempts by the FDA to get this passed. By definition, if the FDA achieves thier goal, is to classify your vitamins as drugs therefore possibly requiring you to get a prescription for it! I know it sounds ridiculous, but its absolutely true.

Health food stores and herb shops are fighting it DC because if this happened, they would be out of business as they would have to classified as a pharmacy!

ShawnG
02 Apr 10,, 15:56
......pero a veces el remedio es peor que la enfermedad!;)

verdadero. I see your point.

Whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote. :))

Blue
02 Apr 10,, 15:58
verdadero. I see your point.

Whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote. :))

Now there is a challenge!!:biggrin:

silentsam
02 Apr 10,, 16:06
No it cannot be waived. It shouldn't be waived. He cannot be a Marine.
Find something else to do.

Its called life. Deal with it.

Tell you friend to check out leatherneck.com. There are a ton of examples of how waivers are not being granted. Follow GG's advice and move on.

Gun Grape
03 Apr 10,, 00:04
I usually self-medicate with Tylenol and Tylenol PM. The non-recalled ones, of course ;)

Bad choice. Vitamin M is the only drug you need.

A Corpsman told me that Motrin 800 cures everything. And its true.

ShawnG
05 Apr 10,, 12:50
Bad choice. Vitamin M is the only drug you need.

A Corpsman told me that Motrin 800 cures everything. And its true.

That is a fact--but you need a 'script for 800mg. Unless you just take 8 100 mg--but that would make me feel like a junkie.