PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Brand Name

Shek
31 Mar 10,, 02:57
Controversial Brand Name: German Firm Wins Right to Make Beer Called 'Fucking Hell' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International (http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,686305,00.html)

The European Union trademarks authority has permitted a German firm to register the brand name "****ing Hell" for a new beer, much to the irritation of the Austrian village of ****ing.

In English, the term "****ing Hell" is just an expletive used to express irritation or surprise. In German, it could refer to a light ale from ****ing in Upper Austria, because "Hell" is a term for light ale in southern Germany and Austria.

The problem is that ****ing has no brewery, and the town's mayor, Franz Meindl, is not aware of any plans to build one there, Austrian public broadcaster ORF reported on its Web site.

gunnut
31 Mar 10,, 04:00
HA! That's great. :biggrin:

I don't see any problems with a product name that might be offensive to some people who speak another language.

The only issue is that the town of F ucking does not have a brewery. The town should ask for royalty on every bottle of beer sold that's not made there.

RustyBattleship
31 Mar 10,, 07:15
Oh come on now. Most Germans, particularly those in "marketing", know how to speak English and they are just trying to boost sales with a word that is almost universal. It may not be profane in the Austrian burg it is "supposedly" named after, but it certainly is everywhere else.

Being half Germanic (German on the Landgraff and Weiler side AND Austrian on the Sacher side) I am insulted. Well, ticked off anyway.

For me to buy a bottle of that beer, you would have to donate 18 million dollars to a certain organization I favor.

Tarek Morgen
31 Mar 10,, 10:11
the town ****ing is pronounced different and would more or less rhyme with booking, so at least said out loud there should be a clear difference.

Pedicabby
31 Mar 10,, 10:14
It may not be profane in the Austrian burg it is "supposedly" named after, but it certainly is everywhere else.

Really? Fookin ell!:)

ShawnG
31 Mar 10,, 14:41
I have had both "Raging B!tch" and "Arrogant B@stard" ales.. neither were too great, but the bottles/labels were keepers

tankie
31 Mar 10,, 15:16
I think i may be drinking that stuff without knowing it , cos when i collapse in to bed ,i utter the name of it :biggrin:

Rumrunner
31 Mar 10,, 15:26
I think i may be drinking that stuff without knowing it , cos when i collapse in to bed ,i utter the name of it :biggrin:

Haha, same thing here! In the morning too! :biggrin::biggrin:

ShawnG
31 Mar 10,, 16:20
Oi, if you go by names, me and the misses are a couple just as those two pictures up there.

dave lukins
31 Mar 10,, 23:55
Apparently when the locals have a near-miss they instantly shout "Darn that was close":biggrin:

Albany Rifles
01 Apr 10,, 13:46
That reminds me of the sign in my family homestead in Massachussets. Just above one of the town squares is a a plumber shop.....owned by F.A. King.

Imagine that pronounced with a Boston accent and you get the same effect.

kato
01 Apr 10,, 18:17
at least said out loud there should be a clear difference.
Not the case for "Kissing" and "Petting" in Bavaria btw. :tongue:

That reminds me of the sign in my family homestead in Massachussets.
"****ing" actually had to cast all town sign posts in thick concrete slabs because people stole them.

ShawnG
01 Apr 10,, 19:36
We don't have vulgarities in PA for names of places. Other than Blue-Ball, PA; Bird-in-Hand, PA; and Intercourse, PA.