No announcement yet.

Briton faces six months in a Dubai jail for 'giving Iraqi student the finger'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briton faces six months in a Dubai jail for 'giving Iraqi student the finger'

Tuesday, Mar 30 2010

By Mail Foreign Service

Last updated at 1:50 AM on 30th March 2010

A Briton is facing six months in jail in Dubai for allegedly making a rude gesture at an Arab.

Police arrested Simon Andrews, 56, on suspicion of public indecency after receiving a complaint from an Iraqi aviation student.

It was said the pair got into a heated argument before Mr Andrews stuck one finger up at 18-year-old Mahmud Rasheed.

Mr Rasheed complained to police and the Briton was arrested for outraging public decency last August. Mr Andrews has been banned from leaving the country ever since as he awaits trial.

But eight months on, he appeared in a Dubai court and protested his innocence only for the trial to be adjourned until April 4 after Mr Rasheed failed to appear to give evidence.

Mr Andrews has another court date scheduled for next Sunday.

According to a court source: 'Mr Andrews says the offensive gesture never happened. The Iraqi has never appeared in court to testify against him and there are no witnesses.

'Mr Andrews has told the court there is no evidence he did anything wrong and that it is Mr Rasheed's word against his.

'He has been banned from leaving the country and has been warned he could be jailed then deported.'

A friend of Mr Andrews, who surrendered his passport as a surety, has been told it will not be returned until another passport is provided.

But a blog posted by Seabee on life in Dubai said foreigners were often falling foul of its lax legal system.

It states: 'In this part of the world a personal insult is taken very, very seriously.

'So seriously that it's a criminal offence which can lead to jail, and deportation for foreigners.

'It's a case of needing to understand the culture of the place you're in and acting accordingly.

'It's another example of an unsubstantiated accusation. One person's word against another's. There is no evidence, there are no witnesses.

'It surely must be wrong that a case can even be brought on that basis.'

The case is the latest in a string of incidents involving British people in Dubai.

In 2008, IT firm manager Vince Acors and publishing company executive Michelle Palmer were both jailed after they were accused of having sex on Jumeirah Beach.

In January, a British man and his girlfriend faced jail for having unlawful sex outside marriage in a Dubai hotel and last month marketing executive Ayman Najafi and Charlotte Adams were arrested for outraging public decency after sharing a kiss in a bar.
    Just another example of Brits behaving badly.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Must have been of the fingers he had chopped off for having a beer

Comment

Interesting...so the visitor should behave himself and go by the local customs and laws? In that case, why do arabs/muslims come here and demand to live by their rules?
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Haven't you heard? It is because they are better than us.

Seriously, If you do not like what is going on in a country DO NOT GO THERE. There are literally thousands of other paces to spend your tourism dollars or do business.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by tim52 View Post
          Just another example of Brits behaving badly.
          What is wrong with these Brits, traveling around the world, making a mockery of whatever culture they visit?

Banish them from the face of the earth, I say!

At least we tolerate the Canadians because they supply us with maple syrup. The Brits are worthless!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowfever View Post
            what is wrong with these brits, traveling around the world, making a mockery of whatever culture they visit?

Banish them from the face of the earth, i say!

At least we tolerate the canadians because they supply us with maple syrup. The brits are worthless!!!

v

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
              v
              W

Comment

This is the same place where people get tossed in the clink for kissing in public. Leave em in the dark ages, there are plenty of fun places to go.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  Interesting...so the visitor should behave himself and go by the local customs and laws? In that case, why do arabs/muslims come here and demand to live by their rules?
                  I have no idea. When I hear people bitching and moaning about such things I just remind them as to where Heathrow is and that life in the dark ages is only a short haul flight away.

Comment

Originally posted by rickshaw92 View Post
                    I have no idea. When I hear people bitching and moaning about such things I just remind them as to where Heathrow is and that life in the dark ages is only a short haul flight away.
                    Won't they call you racist?
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Won't they call you racist?
                      They can call me what ever they want. Binge drinking offensive? Saudi awaits. Essex girls dressed like, well, Essex girls. Iran awaits.

Comment

Hiya GN

Nothing stops us from enforcing our rules. Wife beating and honor killings (their "customs", if not "rules") are illegal, but hate speech and other such noise is not since that is part of free speech. And we do not want to ban free speech, do we?

Also, I am guessing that this Briton went to that country legally, in full cognizance of their rules, so he would be expected to live up to them.

I am also sure you would never want matters to reach a stage where people from liberal western style democracies have to go to these countries as illegal immigrants due to harsh economic conditions back home...
                        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                          Also, I am guessing that this Briton went to that country legally, in full cognizance of their rules, so he would be expected to live up to them.
                          What I find so troubling is that this incident appears to be based on an unsubstantiated accusation. That the accusation was made by an Arab against a non-Arab is troubling as there also does not appear to be any witnesses and it’s one person's word against another's.
                          Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                            What is wrong with these Brits, traveling around the world, making a mockery of whatever culture they visit?

Banish them from the face of the earth, I say!

At least we tolerate the Canadians because they supply us with maple syrup. The Brits are worthless!!!
                            Go to Afghanistan and tell them that. Also stand at Wootton Basset when the coffins come through and tell them that.

Comment

Originally posted by tim52 View Post
                              What I find so troubling is that this incident appears to be based on an unsubstantiated accusation. That the accusation was made by an Arab against a non-Arab is troubling as there also does not appear to be any witnesses and it’s one person's word against another's.
                              Agreed absolutely...

And therein lies the danger of venturing to places where one knows about the existence of a "variable" justice system. One wonderds what the British embassy is doing here.

This incident sort of reminds me (not in a good way) of the "Yes Prime Minister" Series, specifically about the one with the nurse getting flogged in a mid-eastrn country for carrying around a bottle of booze.
                              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X