PDA

View Full Version : Car Question...the unknown sound!!!!

Parihaka
05 Mar 10,, 00:42
Trying to accellerate in too high a gear can cause tappet rattle. The sound may seem to be coming from behind you because of the insulation directly between you and the motor. The noise sounds exactly like several pieces of high grade steel being tapped against each other because that's precisely what is happening.
To fix it requires some combination of timing, oil change and not accelerating in too high a gear.

Parihaka
05 Mar 10,, 00:43
Wow, the forum clock still isn't working...

Canmores post was the first one.

gunnut
05 Mar 10,, 00:48

Canmores post was the first one.

I was wondering what your post was about.

Pari is now offering free, random advice on cars?:P

This thread reminds me of that Johnny Carson bit where he answers the question before opening the envelope.

Canmoore
05 Mar 10,, 00:56
Thanks, I was also told that it could also be the heat shield. Perhaps it has come loose, and is rattling off something as the car vibrates.

Canmoore
05 Mar 10,, 01:10
I have a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit (Just a G5, however they were called Pursuits in Canada from 2005-06).

Now, ever since I bought the car, last july. I have noticed something, it is a really weird sound...however, the place it comes from is even stranger!!

I have a manual transmission, I hear this sound when I eccelerate at a low RPM, in a high gear.

Like say I am in second gear, and doing 20km/hr, I slow down to 10km/hr as I turn at a yeild sign, than as I pass the Yeild sign, I excelerate to 30km/hr before switching to 3rd.

This is an example of a situation where I hear this sound, basically anything that causes my car to vibrate will generate this sound.

Anyways, this sound, sounds like metal clanging, its hard to explain, but it sounds like long thin metal rods, being clanged with each other...basically loose metal.

Even stranger, is the location, it sounds like it is coming from behind the passenger seat area, like the rear passenger door.

I was told once, that the tail pipe if banged, can cause a clanging sound, as the tail pipe is out of place, and will hit other things. Perhaps this is the sound?? I will try to tape the sound, and find some way to put it on hear.

Andrey Egorov
05 Mar 10,, 06:50
The "metal clanging at low rpm and high load" sounds exactly like detonation. Could you get a low-grade fuel somehow?

Tarek Morgen
05 Mar 10,, 08:28
Does the sound also appear when you drive without your wife/girlfriend?

Big K
05 Mar 10,, 08:38
did you check the egzhaust?

dave lukins
05 Mar 10,, 10:54
Sounds like you're driving in too high a gear for the speed. Your manual should give you the optimum speed for each gear. Going too slow in such a high gear will cause vibration.

Big K
05 Mar 10,, 11:25
Sounds like you're driving in too high a gear for the speed. Your manual should give you the optimum speed for each gear. Going too slow in such a high gear will cause vibration.

and vibration can cause that kind of sounds especially if you have a broken egzhaust stabiliser.

tankie
05 Mar 10,, 11:32
if its a pinking sound ,you need a higher octane gas .

Parihaka
05 Mar 10,, 20:14
Thanks, I was also told that it could also be the heat shield. Perhaps it has come loose, and is rattling off something as the car vibrates.

Yeah, that sound is like a tin can rattle.

Parihaka
05 Mar 10,, 20:21
I was wondering what your post was about.

Pari is now offering free, random advice on cars?:P

This thread reminds me of that Johnny Carson bit where he answers the question before opening the envelope.

Great idea. As an aside, remember that problem I had with my car dying at a certain time after starting every time I drove it? Didn't do anything about it for four months as I didn't need it, got quotes ranging from $500 to '$1500 or more', thought bugger that and pulled all that plastic crap covering the motor off.
Bang smack on top of the motor at what would be the hottest external place, attached and connected to the injector lines was a multi-cable electrical socket. Ha ha thinks I, squeezes it together and it goes 'click'.......

highsea
05 Mar 10,, 20:30

Canmores post was the first one.Doesn't the vbulletin software have some kind of database utilities? It acts like it needs to be re-indexed.

Parihaka
05 Mar 10,, 20:47
Doesn't the vbulletin software have some kind of database utilities? It acts like it needs to be re-indexed.

Their is apparently much wailing, rending of garments and gnashing of teeth at Rochen as we speak.
Rude words are being exchanged, parentage and quality of education are being openly discussed.

TopHatter
05 Mar 10,, 21:56
Their is apparently much wailing, rending of garments and gnashing of teeth at Rochen as we speak.
Rude words are being exchanged, parentage and quality of education are being openly discussed.

And I have been assisting in the effort by drunk-dialing and drunk-texting them every night.

Let no one say that I'm not doing my part.

Seriously though as Pari said, they're hard at work on it. Annoying little bug that's for darn sure :redface:

Parihaka
05 Mar 10,, 22:28
And I have been assisting in the effort by drunk-dialing and drunk-texting them every night.

Let no one say that I'm not doing my part.

Seriously though as Pari said, they're hard at work on it. Annoying little bug that's for darn sure :redface:

How's that purty little new computer working out? Does it pink when you're in too high a gear?