Australian immigrants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian immigrants

Bloody hell , must have had most of my relatives on board , hey ferky , you are my long lost cousin , i hope your rich ,,,cuzz , ;)

Violence, drunkenness and all manner of debauchery featured on a six-month voyage on a migrant ship bound for Australia 170 years ago, a newly discovered diary reveals.

The raunchy tale of anarchy on the high seas is recorded by a junior officer, James Bell, aboard "The Planter" which sailed to Adelaide from Deptford in east London in 1838.

Alcohol-fuelled acts of "great violence" involving officers, mates and even the ship's doctor are all recounted.

In the green vellum-bound journal, Bell tells how the captain regularly entertained two of the 11 daughters of a doctor-preacher from Liverpool called McGowan.

He wrote: "our captain of course could not want a mistress till he returned to his own in England, but made love to two of McGowan's daughters ... The Capt was allowed to keep the daughters company at all hours, and during the whole time of our being in warm weather our bed on deck sufficed for all three."

Bell, whose 225-page diary goes up for sale at auction in London next month after being bought in a market stall for a pittance, said his crew were no better.

"Such an example was soon followed up by all the ship's company but particularly by the three mates (who) carried immorality to a glaring height."

Bell told how they blatantly took up with a band of prostitutes in search of a better life in the colonies.

He called the women "... natives of some obscene alley, in some obscene street, of that renowned city, London, and who are conveying in themselves all the filth of the place of their nativity, to Adelaide."

Ironically, Bell kept his diary for a female friend back in England, but interestingly for the time spared her few blushes.

"With all this whoring and drunkenness," he wrote, "it is amazing this ship ever arrived in Australia." just like any other booze cruise huh

The diary is expected to fetch between 2,000 to 4,000 pounds at a sale on March 23, according to the auction house Bonhams.

What is it they say about 'starting out as you mean to continue'?
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
      but interestingly for the time spared her few blushes.

"With all this whoring and drunkenness," he wrote, "it is amazing this ship ever arrived in Australia.
      What is it they say about 'starting out as you mean to continue'? :))
      My favorite customer when I was selling cosmetics in Australia was a miner working in Emerald, QLD. After showing him something to remove the dry, dead skin from his hands he let out with the following pearl of wisdom: "Wow! me hands haven't felt this soft in 10 years. I'm gonna go home and pull meself!"
      Last edited by bigross86; 25 Feb 10,, 21:58.
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        What is it they say about 'starting out as you mean to continue'?

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
          My favorite customer when I was selling cosmetics in Australia was a miner working in Emerald, QLD. After showing him something to remove the dry, dead skin from his hands he let out with the following pearl of wisdom: "Wow! me hands haven't felt this soft in 10 years. I'm gonna go home and pull meself!"
          *Starts singing the national anthem*

Comment

The captain's Australian descendants went on to found Contiki Tours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post
              *Starts singing the national anthem*
              It do make an Aussie proud!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                It do make an Aussie proud!
                Australians: Will eat anything, sleep with almost anything, say what they feel like, bathe infrequently, are uncultured, uncivilized, uncouth bogans.

I love you guys!! I want to be back in OZ!!!
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  Australians: Will eat anything, sleep with almost anything, say what they feel like, bathe infrequently, are uncultured, uncivilized, uncouth bogans.

I love you guys!! I want to be back in OZ!!!
                  I seem to recall that we conferred 'honorary citizenship' on you BR, so come back anytime. You'll fit right in.
                  sigpic

Comment

Trust me mate, I really want to. Things aren't looking good at the moment, but I will be back eventually. Still way too much trouble for me to get in to.

Comment

Originally posted by ROB View Post
                      The captain's Australian descendants went on to found Contiki Tours.
                      Honest Pari,s boat trips around the island

Comment

Working...
                      X