• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China to get Russian Engines

Report: China Jet Deal May Pique New Delhi

By Lyuba Pronina
    Staff Writer
    Russia will deliver 100 jet engines to be used in Chinese fighters in a $267 million deal, Kommersant reported, citing an unnamed source in the Defense Ministry.

The deal could upset India, Russia's No. 2 arms client, as the Chinese fighters are destined for Delhi's regional rival Pakistan, the paper said. However, a clause in the agreement does not allow for the re-export of the engine, a defense official told Kommersant.

[...]

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/n...hp?newsid=2272

Looks like, there are no real friends in the world of Geo Politics, Its all about self interest and Money.

For 267 million they are ready to snubb their so called 'closest' ally.

I hope India gradually reduces its dependency on foreign countries for its defence requirements and starts proper fullscale Indigenization after a few years. The LCA is a good start, should help the MCA program .. and lets see how AVATAR delivers.
    Last edited by Aryaramnaes; 21 Apr 05,, 18:25.

Comment

As long as the RD-93's dont go to Pakistan , I dont think India would really care. If you had noticed there was no protest from India on this issue.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by hammer
        As long as the RD-93's dont go to Pakistan , I dont think India would really care. If you had noticed there was no protest from India on this issue.
        Do you think they'd be able to reverse engineer it, add a few touches to make it different enough yet retain the same essence and then sell it to Pakistan?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryaramnaes
          Do you think they'd be able to reverse engineer it, add a few touches to make it different enough yet retain the same essence and then sell it to Pakistan?
          AFAIK, if they reverse engineer the engine , they would've to change everything and make a new engine based on the RD-93 design. and believe it wont be an easy job. Even if they do it it will be hard to match the original design.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

I do not doubt that China has the ability to clone the RD-93. They have already demonstrated the capability with the AL-31F (WS-10), and tested it side by side with the Russian version in the J-11 ( the WS-10 is the planned engine for the J-10 and J-11). China bought 5 engines for the FC-1 prototypes, and only 3 or 4 were used, so the 5th may have been dismantled for R/E purposes long ago. And China is already in posession of key technologies like single crystal fan blade metallurgy, which you need if you want to get more than 300 hours between overhauls.

I have to question why they would buy 100 engines under these terms. The PLAAF has not committed to the FC-1, it was always intended to be an export product. Russia has been involved in the project since way back when, and was fully aware that the AC was a JV between Pakistan and China. So for China to buy 100 engines and not export them would mean that the PLAAF is intending to field the FC-1. There is no official word, or even much in the way of rumor, coming out of China that leads me to believe this is the case.

I will be very surprised if these engines don't make into the JF-17. It's not like China has never ignored end-user certificates in the past, and they are also a bigger military customer than India, IIRC. Money talks, especially with Russia. Pakistan just had the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the JF-17 assembly plant this month, so I am of the opinion that the project is going forward as planned.
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

"Looks like, there are no real friends in the world of Geo Politics, Its all about self interest and Money"

'Nations do not have friends, only interests'.
              ~Winston Churchill

Comment

very true Sniper
                for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

Originally posted by Dima
                  very true Sniper
                  The Reality of Realpolitik.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                    "Looks like, there are no real friends in the world of Geo Politics, Its all about self interest and Money"

'Nations do not have friends, only interests'.
                    ~Winston Churchill
                    esp for American
                    Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Please, indianguy4u. For all nations. If you do not agree, go to school.

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
                        esp for American
                        Let's see - India acts as the Soviet Union's surrogate in South Asia for four decades, and Uncle Sam extends an olive branch to the Brahmins. I would say that Uncle Sam has no permanent enemies, only permanent interests.

Comment

Originally posted by zhang
                          India acts as the Soviet Union's surrogate in South Asia for four decades
                          what r u saying???
                          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

The WS-10 still seems to have reliability issues. The initial batches of the J-10 will be built with Russian engines. The WS-10's produced at the moment are used exclusivly in the twinjet J-11. Somehow strange since the J-10 has been tested with WS-10.
                            Maybe the Indians should have done it the same way with the LCA. Initial batches with F-404, M-88 or EJ-200 and later batches the then ready Kaveri.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhang Fei
                              Let's see - India acts as the Soviet Union's surrogate in South Asia for four decades, and Uncle Sam extends an olive branch to the Brahmins. I would say that Uncle Sam has no permanent enemies, only permanent interests.
                              Brahmins?? AFAIK the PM of India is a Sikh. And Brahmins are minority in India.

If India is a Brahmin country then China shoudl be Zhuang or Uygur country. China was US surrogate in the 60's, and still are Russian surrogate. China cannot move forward in its military ambitions with out Russia. Most of the technologically superior weapon systems in Chian belong to Russia or based on Russian design. Thats the fact! So stop preaching holier though approach here!
                              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Working...
                              X