EPA and the USS Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPA and the USS Wisconsin

Just an FYI, I was aboard USS Wisconsin 2/20/10. I spoke to an elderly gentleman working aboard and I asked when they may be opening up the ship's internals. He said that the EPA so far isn't letting them. Also he said that the Master Chief ceremonies that have been held aboard for the past couple of years are a no go for this year and that when employees go in now they are required to wear protective gear!

*Have to make it safe and presentable. Im sure that when the Navy inspects her this year (if they already havent) conditions may change. They have alot of work to do no doubt.;)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

There is something very odd going on with the Wisconsin if the EPA folks will not let anyone enter the ship.

Comment

The (EPA) mandatory protective gear to enter common spaces aboard is reportedly a new restriction aboard BB64.

Comment

Makes on wonder what is up at least for me. Every month a group of us go aboard the old ships sitting up in the Reserve Fleet in Suisun. Plenty of other people and other museums go out there also. The ships are full of lead paint, PCBs and asbestos. You can walk around some of the really old ships and see asbestos on the deck directly under overhead piping. Needless to say no one wears any kind of protection when on the ships from us to the MARAD people. Of course, we don't go kicking up asbestos, breaking asbestos insulation or electronics. So is the Wisconsin worse then these ships or the EPA only concerned with the general public?

Comment

IMO, No. Whisky left service just prior to Mo in late 91, Mo in early 92. Those two were the most modernized as they were the last in service for Dessert Storm. Whiskey was also pretty much been sealed since retirement. Its more then likely formalities with the EPA. Mo has absolutely no problems at all health/interior wise and I strongly doubt Whiskey does either.

Comment

The problem is with an certain over-protective and not BROADLY educated environmentalist individuals who are in lucrative positions to be heard.

Port of Long Beach cannot build an extra Cruise ship pier because it would kill too much Eel grass.

The tsunami from the Chilean earthquake gently passed us by because of the breakwater we have running from the Palos Verdes Penninsula to Seal Beach. It was built there just for such occasions and provide a safe harbor for anchored ships.

But some environmentalists want the breakwater taken out to return the harbor to its original prehistoric state, Tsunamis and all.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I am a volunteer firefighter in Texas and since Ben Franklin invented the job, both Paid and volunteer firemen (and women now days) have honed their skills by burning the occasional donated house or other building under controlled conditions. This has long been an invaluable training tool for firefighters. Last year a nearby volunteer fire department burned a donated home and soon after found themselves in hot water with the EPA because, according to the EPA, the house had not been prepared to be burned.

Along with a very large fine the EPA sent instructions on how a house should be preped. I won't get into details but suffice to the list was long, impractical, and very, very expensive.

At first glance this seems this like reasonable precautions but even setting aside the expense that unfunded volunteer departments cannot begin to afford, the EPA fails to consider three points. A: there's nothing in the houses that wasn't legal to build into it, B: Our equipment and tactics already account the possibility of hazardous materials because C: nobody preps the burning houses we go into that we didn't set on fire ourselves.

EPA is a good agency and does a badly needed job but there is a such thing as overkill.

Comment

In the UK we have the Health and Safety Exectcutive who spend their time working out safety lists of why people shouldn't do things. An employment scheme for otherwise unemployed lawyers. We currently have a Fatal Accident Enquiry, a sort of inquest, on a lawyer who fell down a disused mine shaft while walking home in a fog across a piece of disused ground. She perished because the rescue crews spent so long arguing about all the HSE safety rules they shouldn't infringe.

Comment

EPA and the USS Wisconsin

I surely hope that the Firefighters and rescue personell were not too overly traumatized by this,

Comment

*Interesting picture of Wisconsin in port under repair. Note, where the repair damage is taking place, below the bulwark. This removes the mystique that Wisconsin is the longest of the Iowas after her repairs to the bow. She's not the longest the New Jersey still is even after these repairs. Also note you have three Iowas in port Iowa, New Jersey and Whisky with the repair barge/crane alongside. This was taken before her drydocking.

*This pic along with many others can be found on Wisconsin's home page.
                      Attached Files

Comment

mystery....

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        *Interesting picture of Wisconsin in port under repair. Note, where the repair damage is taking place, below the bulwark. This removes the mystique that Wisconsin is the longest of the Iowas after her repairs to the bow. She's not the longest the New Jersey still is even after these repairs. Also note you have three Iowas in port Iowa, New Jersey and Whisky with the repair barge/crane alongside. This was taken before her drydocking.

*This pic along with many others can be found on Wisconsin's home page.
                        Catching up on BB's history.
                        This is the first time I've seen three (3) Iowa's in the same picture. WOW ! :))

Now, that the shock and surprise is passing, I've figured out that some well paid shipwright is making payments on the 1949 ? of 1950 Ford ragtop. So the other Ford must belong to the Yard master... but where?

You lifers always talk in code ( shipwright dialect ) and we land lubbers stuck here in the flatlands try to play catch up with the smart kids in the class. :P

Comment

What a temptation. Three BB's versus two Fords. Tough, tough call for me. Love old cars especially Fords and have 7 Fords at the moment which are a lot easier to store than a BB.

Comment

Hey Rusty.. Which one was yours? The hard-top or the rag-top?

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                              Catching up on BB's history.
                              This is the first time I've seen three (3) Iowa's in the same picture. WOW ! :))
                              3's good, but 4 is better

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                              -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X