Battleship Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleship Aircraft

The use of aircraft based on battleships was an interesting story. I have done a little research and learned a bit about this subject. I was hoping that a discussion here would help me to see more.

Here is what I have so far - this is not a publication, just a paper written for discussion.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
    Here is what I have so far - this is not a publication, just a paper written for discussion.
    I've only been able to briefly skim it so far, but wow!
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Nice article, dont forget to include a blurb and a pic for the Iowas.

1983-91, 1 Kaman SH-2 Seasprite helicopter. It should be included that they were partial to the RGM-84 Harpoon missles aboard for mid-course correction and a booth was constructed aboard the ships that is still there today untouched along with all other landing apparatus.

*You also might want to include that the landings for the seaplanes were assisted by a skilled helmsman aboard the ship no matter which countries Navy you are discussing.

*My bust as I read you did include it.:));)

If you need help or info just send me mail.;)
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 18 Feb 10,, 22:18.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

For instance in her subcompact form before departing port, this is what it would look like, rotors folded and locked down to the deck (I borrowed this pic from another site). Above the helo in the background you can see the landing light arrangement for signaling the helo on the helo control booth. The GSI (Glide slope indicator is not in this view). This helo was restored (not original) to numbers matching helo that sailed aboard USS New Jersey in her final years in service. The are very few left in existance. As I have business aboard this weekend, I will take a few close ups while aboard and post. On the opposite side of Turret #3 (Port side) is where the UAV's were placed and worked upon although she was retired in 1990 before the UAV's really came into their own such as with Wisconsin and Missouri during the opening of the Gulf War. There they enjoyed sucsess in both launching, monitoring GFS missions and recovery with the "field goal" netting.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 18 Feb 10,, 22:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          Nice article, dont forget to include a blurb and a pic for the Iowas.

1983-91, 1 Kaman SH-2 Seasprite helicopter. It should be included that they were partial to the RGM-84 Harpoon missles aboard for mid-course correction and a booth was constructed aboard the ships that is still there today untouched along with all other landing apparatus.

*You also might want to include that the landings for the seaplanes were assisted by a skilled helmsman aboard the ship no matter which countries Navy you are discussing.

*My bust as I read you did include it.:));)

If you need help or info just send me mail.;)
          Thank you Dreadnought! I was unaware of the Kaman SH-2 Seasprite based on the Iowa's -- were they routinely kept aboard these ships?
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

an additional picture

Two early catapult launched US aircraft in formation, A Vought VE-9H from the cruiser USS Milwaukee (CL-5) and a Vought UO-1 from the battleship USS Tennessee (BB-43) photographed form a third aircraft in the Mid 1920's. Note the ordinary seaman, complete with his white cap in the observer's seat on the UO-1 NH 72919. The VE-9H was the only US type with a liquid cooled engine, and saw very limited service, though it did have the distinction of being the first USN catapult launched battleship aircraft service type.
            Attached Files

Comment

You might find Larkin's Battleship and Cruiser Aircraft of the United States Navy 1910-1949 useful.

Comment

Concise and well illustrated

The use of aircraft based on battleships was an interesting story. I have done a little research and learned a bit about this subject. I was hoping that a discussion here would help me to see more.

Enjoyed reading and reviewing the lesser known aircraft. Certainly wasn't aware of so many manufacturers. :)
                " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

I may be making this up out of thin air, but has anyone else heard of studies to equip vessels with Zero-Length-Launch (ZEL) systems? This was mainly tested during the Cold War, so there werent really any BB's to equip in active service.

Pics of a F-100 getting what I assume to be one hell of a ride for the pilot

Attached Files
                  You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

This would be like the Sopwith Camel, Italian Re2000, or the Hurricane CAM merchant ships, where the fighter would be launched in an emergency and then the pilot would either land ashore or bailout and hope for recovery (very perilious in cold waters). I don't see any possible way to successfully recover a full sized jet on a battleship. A single shot weapon. They did have experimental jet seaplanes (not very successful). A steam catapult could probably be used to launch heavy jets like those, the ZEL would work too and probably be cheaper to install, but the exhaust from the JATO packs could cause problems. They did launch Regulus missles like this, from submarines; but subs are inherantly pressure ressistant and can quickly submerge to deal with fires.

Comment

Thank you Dreadnought! I was unaware of the Kaman SH-2 Seasprite based on the Iowa's -- were they routinely kept aboard these ships?
                      *Originally, after the modernization in the early 80's they were supposed to carry a LAMPS III helocopter (SH-60B Sikorsky Sea Hawk) full time. However since their updates had already taken place there was no room for a helocopter facility on the ships so the implement of their air detachments did not occur and when they needed one, they got one, (thats were the numbers matching comes in, it relays what ship it was assigned too) but all were deemed "visitors" to the ships even know sometimes they stayed for prolonged periods. One of the frequent ones was the Kayman Seasprite Helo above in the picture during their last appearences. But they have had almost every helo in the US aresenal since WWII land on the sterns of the ships at one time or another with exception to the Apaches, and very few other attack helos. More or less your heavy sea lift helo's. I'll post a few pics of them.
                      Last edited by Dreadnought; 19 Feb 10,, 19:03.

Comment

After reviewing some records and writings the USS New Jersey did indeed have a helocopter assigned to her during her 1983-1984 Lebannon cruise. I will elaborate on Monday.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          After reviewing some records and writings the USS New Jersey did indeed have a helocopter assigned to her during her 1983-1984 Lebannon cruise. I will elaborate on Monday.;)

Hey Dread, here's a picture from page 129 of "Dreadnaught 83-84." (New Jersey Cruise book)

It shows this thingy on the fantail....
                          Last edited by Ytlas; 02 Mar 10,, 19:48.

Comment

That is correct. All four of the Iowa class Battleships had helicopter decks added to them.

The New Jersey's helo deck was only 8 inches above the main deck plating so the ramps to pull the choppers off to one side did not need to be very long. This modification was done in 1968 for her Viet Nam deployment.

However, on the other three ships of the class, we were ordered to raise the helo deck to 12 inches which required longer ramps so the low-bellied (almost no clearance) "yellow gear" tractor could go over the edge between ramp and landing platform to move the helos into their parking spots close to turret III.

In 1982, our first (NAVSEA ordered) deck markings were for helos to come in at an angle from the starboard stern corner of the landing platform. But air turbulence off the superstructure and turret made landing extremely dangerous. So the line-up markings were changed for a centerline approach over the fantail.
                            Attached Files
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

The Iowa's today in this shot
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X