PDA

View Full Version : Firefox/IE connection problems

TopHatter
13 Feb 10,, 20:50
It's time once again to lean on the membership's technical knowledge.

For some reason I'm having trouble getting to various websites, intermittently.

Firefox will give me various excuses such as

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www. google. com
Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at www. imdb. com

After hitting the Try Again button half a dozen times, I'll generally get through...albeit sometimes to an incompletely loaded website.

I'd been running the older v3.5 Firefox when this started happening so I stupidly upgrade to v3.6 (which had cause this exact same problem several months ago...which is why I reverted back to v3.5 in the first place!) but I've since reverted back (again!)

I have also tried using IE v8, but get the same problem, except that IE -unlike Firefox- has actual diagnostic tool. It's telling me that it couldn't connect via FTP, probably due to firewall issues...except I don't have one! :rolleyes:

The Firefox help forums are loaded with people having this problem and the solutions are all over the place. I've tried a few, no luck.

I haven't made any changes to my computer or Internet settings....so, any ideas?

US_MiltCom
13 Feb 10,, 20:56
I had that exact same problem about a month ago, after endless fiddling around with settings what finally worked for me was doing a "system recovery" to about two months ago. I could tell you how to do this if your running XP but I just upgraded to windows 7 and I have yet to learn how, or even if you can.

I'm assuming you've checked your anti-virus software is up to date?

bolo121
13 Feb 10,, 20:59
maybe some malware on your machine blocking traffic?
scan with malware bytes anti malware and look at your hijack this log.
By the way are other browsers like chrome or opera working?

TopHatter
13 Feb 10,, 21:16
I had that exact same problem about a month ago, after endless fiddling around with settings what finally worked for me was doing a "system recovery" to about two months ago. I could tell you how to do this if your running XP but I just upgraded to windows 7 and I have yet to learn how, or even if you can.

I'm assuming you've checked your anti-virus software is up to date?

Anti-virus is up to date, yep.

And I'm running XP still, which is probably gonna stay with me until I get a new comp in the distant future :redface:

maybe some malware on your machine blocking traffic?
scan with malware bytes anti malware and look at your hijack this log.
By the way are other browsers like chrome or opera working?
That's a good question, malware, I'll run a few scans.

I haven't used Chrome or Opera but I'm serious considering it.

US_MiltCom
13 Feb 10,, 21:17
I'd highly recommend chrome, though for me switching browsers didn't help.

Southie
13 Feb 10,, 21:23
How old is your computer? I finally broke down and bought a new one because I was having the same problem with firefox/IE. I even downloaded a program to speed up my pc.

TopHatter
13 Feb 10,, 21:35
I'd highly recommend chrome, though for me switching browsers didn't help.

I think I tried Chrome for a few minutes, didn't like it very much :(

How old is your computer? I finally broke down and bought a new one because I was having the same problem with firefox/IE. I even downloaded a program to speed up my pc.

It's somewhat "old" though I've upgrade the RAM and also had the HD wiped and Windows XP reinstalled, which kinda "zero-timed" it, not to mention removed all the software bloat. I think the next computer I buy, I'll do the same thing if it comes packed with a bunch of crap I don't want or need (FREE TRIAL!)

Anyway, just ran MalwareBytes and yep, I've got a couple of hitchhikers, Trojan.WinCoDecPRO and Malware.Trace, so let's see what happens after they're removed.

Officer of Engineers
13 Feb 10,, 21:38
Don't think it's firefox or IE, open a command prompt and try to ping a site,

ie, ping www.google.com (http://www.google.com)

or ping www.worldaffairsboard.com (http://www.worldaffairsboard.com)

or any sight you try to get to.

If it comes back with anything other than a response time, it's router/modem/ISP problem.

TopHatter
13 Feb 10,, 21:40
Anyway, just ran MalwareBytes and yep, I've got a couple of hitchhikers, Trojan.WinCoDecPRO and Malware.Trace, so let's see what happens after they're removed.

That had to be it...stuff that wasn't working earlier is doing just fine now. Never had malware be so stealthy before. Usually it's right up in my face with "Buy Our Fake-Ass Virus Product That Is Actually A Lot More Poison For Your Computer!"

Thanks everybody! :)

TopHatter
13 Feb 10,, 22:00
sigh. Spoke too soon, things have gotten much better but still occasionally getting that crap. I'll try a few more things and system restore if I have to

snowhole
13 Feb 10,, 23:24
I'm using Firefox 3.6 and just tried imdb.com, no problem loading it. Also tried IE 8 and Chrome with the site, same. I don't usually meet such problems unless there's something wrong with the router.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 01:03
Ran the in-depth MalwareBytes and ferreted out a few more odds and ends, but no luck. Tried System Restore, but it called no joy and so I'm right back where I started. Sucks :rolleyes: IE 8 is giving me the same problems as before and blaming it on FTP.

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 01:05
Are you using a wireless network? And if so have you tried plugging into a hardline?

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 01:23
Are you using a wireless network? And if so have you tried plugging into a hardline?

I'm plugged directly into the wireless router (the modem is in my bedroom)

What sucks is that I was humming along doing just fine until "poof".

dave lukins
14 Feb 10,, 01:26
Ran the in-depth MalwareBytes and ferreted out a few more odds and ends, but no luck. Tried System Restore, but it called no joy and so I'm right back where I started. Sucks :rolleyes: IE 8 is giving me the same problems as before and blaming it on FTP.

Go Restore to when the computer was working correctly. (All programs..System tools..System restore) do a bit of defraging whilst you are at it;)

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 01:33
Go Restore to when the computer was working correctly. (All programs..System tools..System restore) do a bit of defraging whilst you are at it;)

Tried that already...there are 2 restore points I can choose and neither one will finish restoring, I get an error message to that effect.

I've tried to flip the calender back past February but it's non-functional.

I'm thinking about having it wiped again and calling it even.

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 01:54
do a bit of defraging whilst you are at it;)

This, I do mine once a week, though that's probably excessive.

I wouldn't go this far yet but, last year when my moms computer was having trouble with the internet I fiddled with settings, system restores, our router, our provider, and her antivirus for what seemed like an eternity until FINALLY I just took the damn thing apart and replaced the network card. Worked like magic.

Parihaka
14 Feb 10,, 02:45
Tried that already...there are 2 restore points I can choose and neither one will finish restoring, I get an error message to that effect.

I've tried to flip the calender back past February but it's non-functional.

I'm thinking about having it wiped again and calling it even.

Install chrome temporarily and run it for a couple of days. If it runs fine then it's specifically a browser problem. If it has the same problems and your signal strength to your router and bandwidth from your ISP is fine then you got nasty little bugs.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 03:13
Install chrome temporarily and run it for a couple of days. If it runs fine then it's specifically a browser problem. If it has the same problems and your signal strength to your router and bandwidth from your ISP is fine then you got nasty little bugs.

I have a feeling that, with my IE not behaving properly either, that it's something in my comp...which really sucks.

I'll try Chrome regardless though, never hurts to be certain.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 03:22
Update: I'm on Chrome and the same thing is happening. The irritating part is how intermittent it is. I can open 4 threads just fine and then 2 more won't open...then 3 more will open just fine...and on and on :rolleyes:

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 03:25
If I could take a look I could almost promise it would be fixed in a day or less. But without your computer in front of me there's not much more I can say. It could be the wireless card, a virus, a corrupted drive or driver, or any combination of those plus a dozen other things I can think of.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 03:27
If I could take a look I could almost promise it would be fixed in a day or less. But without your computer in front of me there's not much more I can say. It could be the wireless card, a virus, a corrupted drive or driver, or any combination of those plus a dozen other things I can think of.

I'm sure you could, and I'd gladly pay for your services. :)

I'm normally pretty good at this stuff, which means I can Google a specific problem and follow the directions :redface:

But in this case, as you said, there's about a million different things that this could be. :(

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 03:29
Haha! sorry, not trying to brag, but I DO seem to have a way with these things, despite the fact that I only have a fairly basic understanding of how they work. Good luck sir, and if you end up upgrading your computer, NEVER buy an Inspiron or a Gateway.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 03:33
Haha! sorry, not trying to brag, but I DO seem to have a way with these things, despite the fact that I only have a fairly basic understanding of how they work. Good luck sir, and if you end up upgrading your computer, NEVER buy an Inspiron or a Gateway.

In my book, it's not bragging or arrogance if you can back it up. :cool:

And thanks for the buying advice, I'm far from getting a new comp due to a raging desire to get my debt paid off, but I'm always looking for tidbits to file away from future use.

A question for you and anybody unfortunate enough to have read this entire thread: What do you recommend when it comes to desktop computers running Windows? (sorry non-MS fans, I'm on those downtrodden masses in the "1984" commercial)

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 03:36
I'm not sure I fully understand the question....

Parihaka
14 Feb 10,, 03:37
In my book, it's not bragging or arrogance if you can back it up. :cool:

And thanks for the buying advice, I'm far from getting a new comp due to a raging desire to get my debt paid off, but I'm always looking for tidbits to file away from future use.

A question for you and anybody unfortunate enough to have read this entire thread: What do you recommend when it comes to desktop computers running Windows? (sorry non-MS fans, I'm on those downtrodden masses in the "1984" commercial)

Vaio.

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 03:38
Vaio.

Very nice machines, but I find them to be VERY overpriced.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 03:40
I'm not sure I fully understand the question....
A little more clarity probably would've helped :)

If you were going to go out today and buy a solidly reliable, nicely appointed machine (with a decent emphasis on using it for gaming, music and movies) yet reasonably affordable machine, what would it be?

Parihaka
14 Feb 10,, 03:52
Very nice machines, but I find them to be VERY overpriced.

True, I'm just one of those guys who doesn't care what's under the bonnet, I just ask what's the most reliable one around.
Usually I run Macs but I've got one Vaio that I was given by a supplier when I bought a rather expensive camera and it's gone gangbusters. It was the cheapest of the available ones and I had to add ram (my one venture ever into the bowels of a pc) but it's been solid for 5 years now despite being tossed across the room twice, taken on beach holidays, and generally had the crap pounded out of it by my wee ones.

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 03:56
I've always been a huge Dell fan, with the exception of a few product lines (Inspiron). I've had a lot of luck with their Precision series for gaming, they are a fairly expensive and built for heavy duty CAD work, but the beefy video cards that those programs need translate into good gaming horsepower. Music and movies? well, that's mostly dependent on two things, your monitor, high def being the key, and your harddrive for storing all that media. 500 gig hard drives are fairly standard these days and for a bit more you can bump it up to a terrabite. Unless you're doing a lot of illegal downloading it's unlikely you'll ever max it out. The great thing about desktops is it's obscenely easy to upgrade components later, so unless you're trying to put a new processor in you can just keep on adding components.

True, I'm just one of those guys who doesn't care what's under the bonnet, I just ask what's the most reliable one around.
Usually I run Macs but I've got one Vaio that I was given by a supplier when I bought a rather expensive camera and it's gone gangbusters. It was the cheapest of the available ones and I had to add ram (my one venture ever into the bowels of a pc) but it's been solid for 5 years now despite being tossed across the room twice, taken on beach holidays, and generally had the crap pounded out of it by my wee ones.

I have been very impressed with the build quality, I think the only thing that can rival them is the Dell precision of laptops, I owned one a little while ago and it felt like I could have beaten someone to death with it and it would still work flawlessly.

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 03:58
Avoid gateways and HPs and you can't really go wrong.

JAD_333
14 Feb 10,, 04:39
I have the same problem.

Rebooting fixes it, but I'd prefer to not have the problem.

This is what I've found so far.

If Firefox acts up and you immediately go to IE you'll get the same problem because your Local Area Connection has lost connectivity to your ISP. No browser will work at that point.

Next time Firefox acts up, click on Networks Connections (XP) and check your connectivity. If it's poor or dead, reboot. Then try this

in Firefox:
type about:config in the address bar
scroll down the list to "network.dns.disableIPv6"
right click mouse and click on "toggle" (changes false to true)
restart Firefox

That puts you back to IPv4. See if it works. Toggle back to false if not. You may also get better download speeds in IPv4. However, IPv4 may not find sites using the newer DNS extensions.

Another thought:

It's known that ISP's may cut your connection if your browser speed is too high. I guess it depends on your ISP. The ISP may restore your connection in 10 minutes or you may have to reboot.

I doubt the cause is a virus or malware. If you think it is, a good anti-virus program and root kit destroyer is Prevx v3.0.

You should be using a firewall. The one that comes with Windows is as good as any of the razzle dazzle ones like Zone Alarm or Comodo. Set your trust level to medium. If you want a better firewall, I've heard a router is the way to go. I don't why.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 05:13
in Firefox:
type about:config in the address bar
scroll down the list to "network.dns.disableIPv6"
right click mouse and click on "toggle" (changes false to true)
restart FirefoxYeah, found that fix, no luck :(

I doubt the cause is a virus or malware. If you think it is, a good anti-virus program and root kit destroyer is Prevx v3.0.I'll give that a shot too, thanks

You should be using a firewall. The one that comes with Windows is as good as any of the razzle dazzle ones like Zone Alarm or Comodo. Set your trust level to medium. If you want a better firewall, I've heard a router is the way to go. I don't why.Now that I think about it, yes that's active, but I don't think that's the problem because it's so intermittent.

JAD_333
14 Feb 10,, 06:03
Yeah, found that fix, no luck :(

ah...alas...we'll that's good to know...

I'll give that a shot too, thanks

Just run a free scan to start. But I don't think your problem is a virus.

Now that I think about it, yes that's active, but I don't think that's the problem because it's so intermittent.

I meant that as an aside since you mentioned you didn't run a firewall.

I am going to keep looking for the problem. I hasn't happened to me since yesterday.

BTW, do you have the plug-in, "faster fox"?

JAD_333
14 Feb 10,, 06:06
Oh...did you check to see if your LAN had connectivity after the problem cropped up last?

Officer of Engineers
14 Feb 10,, 06:07
Joe, what's your wireless router?

observer7
14 Feb 10,, 09:38
I think I have the same problems as you have described and I think definitely not a browser problem. I have not tried Chrome but have tried and installed Opera but similar problems occur. One of the most irrirating problems this has become.
Sometimes things go smoothly and than sometimes firefox cant find the webpage and states cant find server at the webpage. Keep clicking a few times until webpage actually load than discover that its not fully loaded as in images are not loaded or the format of the text is screwed up. Then have to click refresh awhile until the webpage actually suppose to look like it should.

I think its definitely not a PC problem though because when I take my laptop to my friends house and use their internet it seems fine as websites load normally so thinking it should be modem/router problem or ISP.

Maybe TopHatter you can try moving your computer to work or a friend's place and test it, that should at least sort out if its the computer or just your modem/router/isp.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 14:12
Joe, what's your wireless router?

It's a NetGear...it's been fine for years, and as I said, I'm not technically connecting wirelessly, but right to the router

Maybe TopHatter you can try moving your computer to work or a friend's place and test it, that should at least sort out if its the computer or just your modem/router/isp.

I think that's what I'm going to do, because for this problem to pop up suddenly after years of trouble-free service, it's gotta be something other than ISP or LAN problems (I think )

Andrey Egorov
14 Feb 10,, 15:33
I experienced similar problem about a year ago. I couldn't open google, microsoft and some other websites, was denied of task manager and suffered total perfomance loss, but Norton Antivirus found nothing despite new virus definitions. The situation progressed about a week and became unbearable. Then after several attempts I went to onecare.live.com and that tool found three trojans and cured them. All ended up well excluding Norton Antivirus damaged beyond repair.

Tried a couple of other antiviruses after and came to MS Security Essentials, light and secure enough for me. ClamShell was blind and Norton360 and Kaspersky stopped my computer better than any virus.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 15:45
Tried a couple of other antiviruses after and came to MS Security Essentials, light and secure enough for me.

Always interested in trying new anti-malware stuff, thanks for the info! :)

JAD_333
14 Feb 10,, 18:59
After the problem crops up, it's important to check to see if your LAN is still connected to the internet.

If not, the error messages are exactly right. Your browser--all browsers-- cannot get downloads from the net if the LAN has low or no connectivity.

We all connect to the net through our ISP. So, I would start by finding out if my ISP will cut my connection in certain circumstance.

I know, for example, that HughesNet parcels out bandwidth to each of its customers according to the monthly fee paid. If I exceed my allotment in any given day or in total for the month, service slows and even stops. I am not saying that is specifically your problem, but that is an example of an ISP controlling connectivity.

Officer of Engineers
14 Feb 10,, 19:03
It's a NetGear...it's been fine for years, and as I said, I'm not technically connecting wirelessly, but right to the routerJoe, you do realize that routers do burn out.

ArmchairGeneral
14 Feb 10,, 19:18
All ended up well excluding Norton Antivirus damaged beyond repair.

This is a bad thing? :P

JAD_333
14 Feb 10,, 19:22
Joe, you do realize that routers do burn out.

But then they don't work at all.

US_MiltCom
14 Feb 10,, 19:40
But then they don't work at all.

Not always

ArmchairGeneral
14 Feb 10,, 19:44
Plenty of hardware problems that cause intermittent failure. My 8 year old laptop is full of 'em. Routers are no different in that respect, I think.

JAD_333
14 Feb 10,, 20:28
Not always

Usually.

JAD_333
14 Feb 10,, 20:43
Plenty of hardware problems that cause intermittent failure. My 8 year old laptop is full of 'em. Routers are no different in that respect, I think.

AG:

Here's the problem. You are using Firefox to connect to servers out in cyperspace. Suddenly you get an error message: can't connect to server or something like that.

You immediately switch to IE and get the same message. Chances are your LAN no longer has connectivity.

You reboot and all is back to working again.

Does that suggest a hardware or router problem? Possibly, but not likely.

n21
14 Feb 10,, 20:59
Few steps:

1. Network Connection check: If one PC is having problem, if possible connect any other PC to the same router to see if it connects.

2.On the router generally you will find the data light, blinking whenever there is a data transfer. Check for that. A good internet connection will have the light flickering a lot.

3. On the Network Connection properties, there is one detail called Packets send/received. If you have a good network connection with the ISP, the count will be large and the values tend to change quite fast. Basically providing the size of the data that pass through.

Within Windows:
------------------
1. Click Start then Run. It opens the command prompt.
Type : ping localhost
Result: "connecting to 127.0.0.1.." message should appear(4 times)

2. Type ping google.com
If this says request timed out, you have a problem with the network connection.

Then type ipconfig /release
Note the space between ipconfig and /. This will release the connection.

Then type ipconfig /renew
Again note the space b/w ipconfig and /. This will refresh the connection.

Do try this out and lets see what you get.

ArmchairGeneral
14 Feb 10,, 21:25
AG:

Here's the problem. You are using Firefox to connect to servers out in cyperspace. Suddenly you get an error message: can't connect to server or something like that.

You immediately switch to IE and get the same message. Chances are your LAN no longer has connectivity.

You reboot and all is back to working again.

Does that suggest a hardware or router problem? Possibly, but not likely.

If rebooting works consistently, that certainly sounds like a software problem to me (With the caveat that my computer troubleshooting knowledge is mainly a mix of trial and error, hanging out with geeks, and voodoo- no expertise. :redface:)

Did TH say that rebooting gets fixes his problem?

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 22:48
Well I've run several antimalware programs and it looks like I'm as clean as can be. So let's see what else we can do

Few steps
I'll try them out and let you know :)

No, but I really don't think it's a hardware problem. For one thing, my roommates are also on this router (wirelessly) and they haven't experienced a single problem.

TopHatter
14 Feb 10,, 22:57
Results in Bold

Few steps:

1. Network Connection check: If one PC is having problem, if possible connect any other PC to the same router to see if it connects. Yes, there are 2 other PC's connected to this router, as well as a PS3, no other problems

2.On the router generally you will find the data light, blinking whenever there is a data transfer. Check for that. A good internet connection will have the light flickering a lot. Flickering away merrily

3. On the Network Connection properties, there is one detail called Packets send/received. If you have a good network connection with the ISP, the count will be large and the values tend to change quite fast. Basically providing the size of the data that pass through. Connected at 100.00 Mbps, Sent/Received values at over 220,000+ and changing every second

Within Windows:
------------------
1. Click Start then Run. It opens the command prompt.
Type : ping localhost
Result: "connecting to 127.0.0.1.." message should appear(4 times)
It does, though the window instantly closes after the 4th time. I assume this is normal

2. Type ping google.com
If this says request timed out, you have a problem with the network connection. Ditto, four times and closes

Then type ipconfig /release
Note the space between ipconfig and /. This will release the connection.
Done
Then type ipconfig /renew
Again note the space b/w ipconfig and /. This will refresh the connection.
Done
Do try this out and lets see what you get. I was able to open 8 or 9 different links in a row with zero problems...and then, guess what :rolleyes:

n21
14 Feb 10,, 23:26
TH,

It would be nice if you try
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

after you loose the internet(i.e after you have opened up multiple pages and it stops working).

These commands re-connect your PC to the ISP providing you with a fresh IP address. Hence it is better to try it, once you encounter the failure.

A long shot possibility could be that it is dropping connections due to having around multiple PCs + PS3 connected at the same time. Routers used for along time have degraded performance and may not be able to handle higher loads.

Added:
You mentioned that the PC was plugged directly to the router as well, and same issue(?). Then it will not be the wireless/network card which is the problem.

You may be getting timed out due to heavy loads. You may want to just connect ONLY your PC to the router (may be directly) and try it out.

ArmchairGeneral
15 Feb 10,, 00:16
No, but I really don't think it's a hardware problem. For one thing, my roommates are also on this router (wirelessly) and they haven't experienced a single problem.

That settles that. I suppose there's a faint possibility that the problem is with plugging directly into the router instead of connecting via wireless. Shouldn't be too hard to check that, though.

You may be getting timed out due to heavy loads. You may want to just connect ONLY your PC to the router (may be directly) and try it out.

Why would it drop only TH's computer? Seems to me it's got to be a problem in his box, if the rest of the system works fine for everybody else.

TopHatter
15 Feb 10,, 01:04
Well, it's settled...between this crap and numerous other small irritants, I'm giving it the complete smash tomorrow.

I'll bring my tower to a buddy and start from scratch.

The always fun part is methodically reinstalling everything and putting the settings back to where they were before.

Actually it's somewhat therapeutic...I feel like John Arnold in the Jurassic Park novel after power restored and he has to pull the systems back online one by one :redface:

Officer of Engineers
15 Feb 10,, 01:07
Out of curiousity, have you ran a registry cleaner?

TopHatter
15 Feb 10,, 01:18
Out of curiousity, have you ran a registry cleaner?
I believe so, I've lost track of everything I've done so far :redface:

Parihaka
15 Feb 10,, 01:36
Well, it's settled...between this crap and numerous other small irritants, I'm giving it the complete smash tomorrow.

I'll bring my tower to a buddy and start from scratch.

The always fun part is methodically reinstalling everything and putting the settings back to where they were before.

Actually it's somewhat therapeutic...I feel like John Arnold in the Jurassic Park novel after power restored and he has to pull the systems back online one by one :redface:

Whoa there Nellie. Before going ballistic, have you tried uninstalling Firefox then reinstalling it?

ArmchairGeneral
15 Feb 10,, 01:40
Doesn't seem like Firefox would cause IE to screw up too.

US_MiltCom
15 Feb 10,, 01:40
If switching browsers didn't help, that won't.

Parihaka
15 Feb 10,, 02:49
Doesn't seem like Firefox would cause IE to screw up too.

If switching browsers didn't help, that won't.

They have shared dependencies in XP. Chrome doesn't but TH doesn't like Chrome.
IE doesn't check those dependencies when you reinstall it, FF does and fixes if necessary. You just have to make sure to uninstall FF rather than just upgrade it.

Parihaka
15 Feb 10,, 02:55
At least that's what my tech dept. told me (in requested 'dumbed down' language) when I asked:redface:

US_MiltCom
15 Feb 10,, 02:56
Outstanding point.

TopHatter
15 Feb 10,, 03:49
Whoa there Nellie. Before going ballistic, have you tried uninstalling Firefox then reinstalling it?

I haven't, though I did switch versions (back and forth).

As I said, there are other problems that have been cropping up for quite some time now and I'll be happy enough to get this thing zero-timed again...seeing as how I won't get a new comp for at least another 9-10 months (or more).

Here's the sheepish part: Normally if there's a problem with the Net, my roommate is yelling out across the house about it (because of the modem and router being in my room). Guess what I finally found out tonight? Yep, same problems. For the love of freaking god why did he have to pick this time to not say anything?

Anyway, after I get my rig back, I'll connect directly to the modem and see what happens. If it's still a problem, we'll go to our ISP and raise hell.

Julie
15 Feb 10,, 03:51
Try reverting back to your default settings. :)

TopHatter
15 Feb 10,, 04:11
Try reverting back to your default settings. :)

All been tried, I have a feeling this is an ISP or router problem now.

I'll let everybody know what happens (and after I can play Civ IV and Sid Meier's Pirates without the damn thing crashing due to "lack of memory" or some other such nonsense)

US_MiltCom
15 Feb 10,, 05:05
All been tried, I have a feeling this is an ISP or router problem now.

I'll let everybody know what happens (and after I can play Civ IV and Sid Meier's Pirates without the damn thing crashing due to "lack of memory" or some other such nonsense)

That man has a gift for making games as addictive as crack

JAD_333
15 Feb 10,, 05:15
Joe:

Do you have this? Excellent program and it's free.

CCleaner - Home (http://www.ccleaner.com/)

Download it, close Firefox and run it. It'll dump your Firefox cache and clean your registry.

Good luck.

BTW Did you try deleting your cookies?

JAD_333
15 Feb 10,, 05:32
If rebooting works consistently, that certainly sounds like a software problem to me...

Rebooting cuts your LAN or internet connection and if your computer is configured to connect on booting up it will open a fresh connection. "Always on" ISPs, like cable and satellite are configured that way. With DSL and 'dial up' I think you have to initiate the connection manually. I have satellite, and when I get the problem TH has, rebooting always fixes it. I've tried disabling the connection and then re-enabling it but to no avail.

I assume he did since he keeps coming back to get all our bum advice.:))

n21
15 Feb 10,, 08:16
Why would it drop only TH's computer? Seems to me it's got to be a problem in his box, if the rest of the system works fine for everybody else.

ArmchairGeneral,

It might if lot of stuff are connected to the router/broadband modem.

I used to have this problem that, when I do voice/video chats, it drops the connection, when my wife was watching "youtube cooking lessons"!

Also ISP generally have this "fair policy" thinge, where they reduce bandwidth during peak times, well it there atleast where I live.

However if it is only one PC that is connected and it stops working ,then yes the box is to be blamed.

Also I would suggest to use Chrome. It is safest of the 3 browser.

gunnut
15 Feb 10,, 18:56
TH, I should have jumped in sooner. There is nothing wrong with your computer. I have the same problem.

I've traced it to how my router, Yahoo IM, and XP interacts with each other.

The problem is worst when I just fire up Yahoo IM. The computer will not be able to hit the internet (www protocol, IM is fine) for about a minute. I ran both browsers at the same time, eventually, multiple computers at the same time, just to see where the problem was. All of them had the same problem. Then I realized it happened more frequently when I had Yahoo IM running. Do you have Yahoo IM running right after your computer boots?

Of course this also could be a problem of the router. My router is about 5 or 6 years old. This problem started within the last year. I haven't tried a different router yet.

I have not noticed a problem running Yahoo IM and playing L4D2 online.

I do see my downloading speed fluctuates using torrent with Yahoo IM running in the background. Sometimes it drops to near zero. But I can't really be sure since I don't use torrent much.

It looks like Yahoo's IM does something that restricts web traffic in some way. I don't know much else since I'm not a network engineer.

n21
15 Feb 10,, 19:21
It looks like Yahoo's IM does something that restricts web traffic in some way. I don't know much else since I'm not a network engineer.

Gunnut,

Applications like Yahoo IM/Video Streaming are ones which are always connected to the internet.This is required to provide a real time messaging/video download.

For example when you open a website, you connect once, read the data from your ISP's server and display it on your browser. That is the end of it, until you click another button.

Yahoo IM dont have a end point until you log out.Hence it keeps talking to your ISP all the time.

gunnut
15 Feb 10,, 19:37
Gunnut,

Applications like Yahoo IM/Video Streaming are ones which are always connected to the internet.This is required to provide a real time messaging/video download.

For example when you open a website, you connect once, read the data from your ISP's server and display it on your browser. That is the end of it, until you click another button.

Yahoo IM dont have a end point until you log out.Hence it keeps talking to your ISP all the time.

OK, that makes sense. But how or why would it restrict my traffic to near zero?

bolo121
15 Feb 10,, 19:37
Gunnut, is this happening to you during peak usage hours?
Friends who worked in the US always told me that all US ISPs do a lot of speed throttling and traffic shaping.

gunnut
15 Feb 10,, 19:39
Gunnut, is this happening to you during peak usage hours?
Friends who worked in the US always told me that all US ISPs do a lot of speed throttling and traffic shaping.

No...this is not a peak hour thing. This is firing up Yahoo IM thing. ISPs might restrict speed, but it is unlikely that my ISP would restrict my traffic to zero for just one minute right after I turn on Yahoo IM.

pChan
15 Feb 10,, 19:51
Hi,

Problems that involve server connectivity could also involve screwed up DNS servers.

Google has a new DNS service. Why not give it a try to see if solves the problem. Will just take a couple of minutes. Instructions below.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows Vista

1. Go the Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, then Manage network connections.
3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
* To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
* To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
4. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
5. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
6. Click OK.
7. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
8. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
9. Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
10. Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings (http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html#testing) below.
11. Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.

Source : Google DNS instructions (http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html)

Also check this page (http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/) to know more about the service.

Again write down your dns addresses for future references as per the instructions (they can also be found in the router). You don't want to lose 'em. Also clear all your local caches when trying this method. Hope your problem gets solved.

TopHatter
15 Feb 10,, 19:58
Thanks for the all the suggestions guys.

As mentioned, my computer is now being wiped and reinstalled to correct a small laundry list of bugs and hopefully boot-strap me into another year of service until I can get a new one.

Once I get it back and up and running, we'll see what happens when I plug the computer directly into the modem and bypass the router. After that it's either the modem or the ISP.

TopHatter
15 Feb 10,, 23:05
Well here I am on a borrowed laptop connected directly to the modem.

Judging by how things are going so far, I have a feeling that OoE and whoever else said "bad router" are probably going to win First Prize in the "Tophatter can't troubleshoot worth a damn" contest :redface:

We'll have more details at 11.

Julie
16 Feb 10,, 01:00
Well here I am on a borrowed laptop connected directly to the modem.

Judging by how things are going so far, I have a feeling that OoE and whoever else said "bad router" are probably going to win First Prize in the "Tophatter can't troubleshoot worth a damn" contest :redface:

We'll have more details at 11.I've had a router go down twice on me, and each time, I couldn't connect to the internet at all, so that's why I didn't think it was your router.

BD1
16 Feb 10,, 09:52
the same problems have been in my household for the past half-month. And my company. And with friends all over the Europe.
Is it really virus/connection problem?

Has the econ. recession somehow changed the situation (dunno, like some providers going out of business and other picking up their load) or is some new technology being installed on big providers ? I imagine if Google or Yahoo are changing something that could affect world so much.
Somebody going over to Web2.0 ?

observer7
06 Mar 10,, 09:16
Just wondering, did TH find a solution to this problem?

TopHatter
06 Mar 10,, 09:29
Just wondering, did TH find a solution to this problem?Likely as not, it's the router.

On the plus side, I've just bought a real cruise missile of a desktop...I just wish that Windows 7 wasn't so temperamental with legacy programs

pChan
12 Mar 10,, 05:26
Likely as not, it's the router.

On the plus side, I've just bought a real cruise missile of a desktop...I just wish that Windows 7 wasn't so temperamental with legacy programs

Are you using Netgear router? I had a similar problem with netgear router, in fact there is a known dns problem with netgear routers. Changing the OS or Firefox version seems to do the trick for some. But I heard that changing the router (a non-netgear one) is probably the best way to avoid the problem.