US Driver's license?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Driver's license?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows how a foreigner gets a U.S. license.

I currently have a British license, and would really like to sit a U.S. test.

Of course there is a reason for this, I saw a job to be a taxi driver in Las Vegas and it said all you needed was a full U.S. drivers license.

Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Ian

Originally posted by Iain View Post
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows how a foreigner gets a U.S. license.

I currently have a British license, and would really like to sit a U.S. test.

Of course there is a reason for this, I saw a job to be a taxi driver in Las Vegas and it said all you needed was a full U.S. drivers license.

Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    Ian,

Inorder to obtain a MS state driving licence I had tp provide the following:

Social Security Number
    Birth Certificate (Translated by accredited University if not in English)
    Utilities bill showing Residential address
    Proof of legal residence within teh US, for me this was done via my US Visa and an online system called E-verify.

You may or may not be required to take the Written and Practical aspects of the test. I wasnt required to do the practical, just the written which focus on the rules of the road.

YOu can legally drive in the US on a UK licence for 90 days from date of entry in the US.

Regards

Arty
    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtyEngineer View Post
      Ian,

Inorder to obtain a MS state driving licence I had tp provide the following:

Social Security Number
      Birth Certificate (Translated by accredited University if not in English)
      Utilities bill showing Residential address
      Proof of legal residence within teh US, for me this was done via my US Visa and an online system called E-verify.

You may or may not be required to take the Written and Practical aspects of the test. I wasnt required to do the practical, just the written which focus on the rules of the road.

YOu can legally drive in the US on a UK licence for 90 days from date of entry in the US.

Regards

Arty
      Ah cheers for that info.

Dammit I was hoping 'residency' wouldn't come up...

I was looking at a cab driver job in Las Vegas, they said all you needed was a U.S. Driver's license, but the catch-22 is, to get a license I need residency, to get residency I need a job, to get the job I need a driver's license. (see what I mean?)

Comment

Ah cheers for that info.

I was looking at a cab driver job in Las Vegas, they said all you needed was a U.S. Driver's license, but the catch-22 is, to get a license I need residency, to get residency I need a job, to get the job I need a driver's license. (see what I mean?)
        Yeah, and its unlikley that the Taxi company is going to sponsor a Visa application lol!!!!

Arty
        "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtyEngineer View Post
          Yeah, and its unlikley that the Taxi company is going to sponsor a Visa application lol!!!!

Arty
          That's true haha, but at my age there isn't a lot else I can do to get in to the U.S. (and believe me, I'd do anything!).

Comment

Ah cheers for that info.

Residency does help a tad, especially as the drive home at the end of your shift may become tedious:))

Comment

Ah cheers for that info.

Vegas cab driver? Like The Rock? Sound like you'll need a better plan. I mean you could join the millions of others working (and staying) in the country illegally. Somehow I think waiting around for amnesty while trying not to get deported was not what you had in mind.

by dave lurkins
              Residency does help a tad, especially as the drive home at the end of your shift may become tedious
              Bad, reeeeally bad...
              Last edited by sappersgt; 10 Feb 10,, 06:50.
              Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
              (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                Residency does help a tad, especially as the drive home at the end of your shift may become tedious:))
                To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                  Vegas cab driver? Like The Rock? Sound like you'll need a better plan. I mean you could join the millions of others working (and staying) in the country illegally. Somehow I think waiting around for amnesty while trying not to get deported was not what you had in mind.

Bad, reeeeally bad...
                  Yeah, I was hoping maybe this could be a legal way in (for which I have been frantically searching, for a while now).

I guess the current economic crisis really doesn't help at the moment either, it's difficult for people to get jobs anywhere, never mind a foreigner in the U.S.

Anyone know what like, the most in demand/under employed jobs are in America?

Comment

Anyone know what like, the most in demand/under employed jobs are in America?
                    What is your profession?

There are several states that do not require proof of legal residency- California and Washington for starters. Just show residency and ID. A utility bill and your British license would work. Here's Washington's page:

WA State Licensing: Proof of identity and residence
                    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                      What is your profession?

There are several states that do not require proof of legal residency- California and Washington for starters. Just show residency and ID. A utility bill and your British license would work. Here's Washington's page:

WA State Licensing: Proof of identity and residence
                      Well at the moment, I'm still at high school (almost done actually).

See, again, on that link it tells me I need a SSN. To get an SSN, I need residency. To get residency I need a job. TO get a job I need an SSN. To get an SSN I need residency.

You think a cab company would sponsor for a visa, even if I had no U.S. license, as long as I got one after the sponsor me?

Comment

Well at the moment, I'm still at high school (almost done actually).
                        Better add a parent's permission slip...
                        See, again, on that link it tells me I need a SSN. To get an SSN, I need residency. To get residency I need a job. TO get a job I need an SSN. To get an SSN I need residency.
                        You didn't read it all:
                        3. Social Security number
                        You must provide your Social Security number when you apply for a driver license. If you haven’t been issued a Social Security number, you may sign a declaration form when you visit the driver licensing office.
                        You think a cab company would sponsor for a visa, even if I had no U.S. license, as long as I got one after the sponsor me?
                        No. I don't think they even have that option. Work visas are only allowed for specific professions, typically high-tech and medical professionals, or short-term visas for seasonal farm workers. The company has to be able to show that they can't fill the opening with a US citizen.

But they would probably still hire you if you had a license. You need a Chauffeur License to drive a cab, so there's a couple extra requirements, and there are additional codes specific to the municipality. You would need to do some research.

Sounds like a student visa is your best bet, apply to a US college or university, and if you get accepted you're in.
                        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Better add a parent's permission slip...
                          You didn't read it all:

No. I don't think they even have that option. Work visas are only allowed for specific professions, typically high-tech and medical professionals, or short-term visas for seasonal farm workers. The company has to be able to show that they can't fill the opening with a US citizen.

But they would probably still hire you if you had a license. You need a Chauffeur License to drive a cab, so there's a couple extra requirements, and there are additional codes specific to the municipality. You would need to do some research.

Sounds like a student visa is your best bet, apply to a US college or university, and if you get accepted you're in.
                          I did read it...it says right there that I gotta' provide a SSN...when it says 'have not been given' one, it means that I'm still a legal resident, only I just haven't received my SSN yet, and am in the U.S. on an I-94.

Comment

I did read it...it says right there that I gotta' provide a SSN...when it says 'have not been given' one, it means that I'm still a legal resident, only I just haven't received my SSN yet, and am in the U.S. on an I-94.
                            You can interpret it however you want, I don't care.

I am a Washington resident, and I can tell you that they do not check citizenship or immigration status. They have a form. You sign it. They give you your license, providing you show them residency and ID. A utility bill counts as proof of residency.

If you are applying for a CDL, that's different- you have to have a SSN.

Comment

You can interpret it however you want, I don't care.

I am a Washington resident, and I can tell you that they do not check citizenship or immigration status. They have a form. You sign it. They give you your license, providing you show them residency and ID. A utility bill counts as proof of residency.

If you are applying for a CDL, that's different- you have to have a SSN.
                              Residency is obtained through a green card is it not? (Foreign residency doesn't count mate...)

Comment

Working...
                              X