PDA

View Full Version : The Great DC Snowstorm

Proyas
06 Feb 10,, 19:28
I live right outside DC. Here are some videos I'm making to document the ongoing cataclysm.

YouTube- The Great Snowstorm I: Making a vodka drink (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKLY3a1v4oY)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-z3yVHVUA)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OusN52O3cA0)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm IV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqvrEqQyTjo)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm V: Snowball fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB2GDx18cX4)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm VI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OUZjhavMno)

astralis
06 Feb 10,, 19:34
oh, i'm enjoying it greatly. i hear it'll stop at 10PM EST, too bad!!

Officer of Engineers
06 Feb 10,, 19:54
Wimps.

xinhui
06 Feb 10,, 20:48
astralis

do you need some of those go to work?

Parihaka
06 Feb 10,, 21:16
astralis

do you need some of those go to work?

You can hire soldiers to carry you to work? Truly America is a great country:)

xinhui
06 Feb 10,, 21:23
Yup, freedom and Democracy at its best!

was referring to the winter gear.

astralis
06 Feb 10,, 21:45
dammit, a few more inches and maybe i -won't- have to go to work monday! :biggrin:

over 17 inches now in arlington.

dave lukins
07 Feb 10,, 00:40
Why is the instructor lighting a fire on snow?...get under cover, clear the ground as for an overnight bivvy then light the fire, even under 'instruction' do it as it would be do under duress.

pennsy
07 Feb 10,, 10:36
dammit, a few more inches and maybe i -won't- have to go to work monday! :biggrin:

over 17 inches now in arlington.

Am I right in saying the record for this time of year is about 20 inches?

bigross86
07 Feb 10,, 17:03
In New York City we were promised 6-8 inches, we got next to nothing. Liars...

Shek
07 Feb 10,, 18:01
Finally finished shoveling the driveway. Snow's piled 5 ft on each side of the driveway. My shoulders are shot!

Officer of Engineers
07 Feb 10,, 19:04
Before or after the plow came through?

S2
07 Feb 10,, 19:39
"Why is the instructor lighting a fire on snow?..."

Dave, I think he's a marine.:))

JAD_333
08 Feb 10,, 00:04
They billed it the Super Snowstorm on local TV, which seemed dumb to me, but it was a pretty good snow for these parts. Here's what it looked like at my place after it was over.

JAD_333
08 Feb 10,, 00:09
I think this is what OOE would call a real snow. Watertown, NY, 2008.

Shek
08 Feb 10,, 00:22
Before or after the plow came through?

Before, during, and after. It was a snowfall total around 2 ft, and clearing the driveway built it up to 5 ft. The plows are pretty wimpy around here and only cleared to about 6-7 ft from the curb. Less spoil pushed back into the path of the driveway :), but more snow that I've got to move tomorrow so that we have a turning radius in/out of the driveway :mad:

JAD_333
08 Feb 10,, 03:16
Did you try walking in this stuff? 50 ft and I was panting like a 10K runner.

Proyas
08 Feb 10,, 03:55
And so it continues...

[Just to set the mood] YouTube- The Lonely Island - **** In My Pants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm VII (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZDkSPaLJYM)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm VIII: Snowplow gets stuck in the snow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDr780pf7DY)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm IX: Surveying the damage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkS68FUjac)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm X: "Ever get this much snow in Burma?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7Y15qkdq8)
YouTube- The Great Snowstorm XI: Second snowplow gets stuck near my house (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnyjC4W9R7U)

Blue
08 Feb 10,, 04:49
Good things Obama is gettin NASA on this global warming problem!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

You guys are just roasting out there!!!!!!:tongue:

bigross86
08 Feb 10,, 04:49
Say, I was kinda hoping to go from NYC to Atlantic City tomorrow (Monday) and back on Tuesday. Would anybody have any idea or be able to give me a clue as to what the weather in AC is like and how much snow there still is? Basically, is it worth going?

Officer of Engineers
08 Feb 10,, 05:31
There is this one very useful site called

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Atlantic+City+NJ+08404

bigross86
08 Feb 10,, 06:36
I checked that, but it only told me the weather and forecast, not existing snow on the ground.

citanon
08 Feb 10,, 07:52
Tom Daschle gets stuck in the snow, is helped out by reporters from FOX NEWS.

14972tKFq2Q

Shek
08 Feb 10,, 11:27
Did you try walking in this stuff? 50 ft and I was panting like a 10K runner.

I didn't try walking in it, but I did have to shovel quickly to a shed in the backyard so that I could get a sled (it wasn't there) and made a 25 ft path in about 10 minutes - I was totally smoked.

Rumrunner
08 Feb 10,, 13:51
In New York City we were promised 6-8 inches, we got next to nothing. Liars...

Hah, but there's white stuff in front of my building, my super put out about an inch or so of rock salt friday night for all that snow we didnt get. :rolleyes:

JAD_333
08 Feb 10,, 16:24
I am going to venture out and try to get to my remodel job near Tysons Corner; no idea what I'll find. More snow tomorrow...maybe 2 inches.

gunnut
08 Feb 10,, 18:25
We got down to the upper 40s last night...brrrrr...:tongue:

highsea
08 Feb 10,, 20:58
^^ It's been high-50's low 60's here in Portland.

Love that El Nino...:biggrin:

bigross86
08 Feb 10,, 22:55
Now, granted in Israel we didn't get much snow, but the Golan Heights still get pretty damn cold at night, and one think I used to hate about going to sleep in a tank is how the damn thing acts like a refrigerator, keeping everything inside the tank (including the crew members) nice and cold.

Blue
09 Feb 10,, 02:53
We got down to the upper 40s last night...brrrrr...:tongue:

Surprised someone didn't freeze to death!:biggrin::biggrin:

Gun Grape
09 Feb 10,, 03:06
Hah, but there's white stuff in front of my building,

Hey, Mine too. Its called sand. A freezing 36F tonight then a bone chilling high of 65F tomorrow. With rain:(

JAD_333
09 Feb 10,, 08:27
I am going to venture out and try to get to my remodel job near Tysons Corner; no idea what I'll find. More snow tomorrow...maybe 2 inches.

Got to the job, and put in 12 hrs. I should have camped on site. New forecast says we're looking at another 10-20 inches of snow. Wonder if I can get some stimulus money. My driveway is definitely shovel-ready.:))

dave lukins
09 Feb 10,, 10:29
There is a Weather Warning on the South East coast of England. Drivers are warned that there may be an inch of snow on the way. I don't think the Country can cope with much more of this onslaught..Global Warming.."WHERE ARE YOU":))

tankie
09 Feb 10,, 10:42
Now, granted in Israel we didn't get much snow, but the Golan Heights still get pretty damn cold at night, and one think I used to hate about going to sleep in a tank is how the damn thing acts like a refrigerator, keeping everything inside the tank (including the crew members) nice and cold.

Ahh yes , i remember an ex on salisbury plain when i was driving a fox , the night was so cold my feet/boots glued to the floor plate thro frozen condensation , bloody cold , thought i was crippled :eek: :biggrin:

S2
09 Feb 10,, 16:01
I hated being cold in the army. I'm such a wuuz. Lot of snow in the mid-west today. Hope the Illinois-Wisconsin basketball game isn't cancelled. Illinois hopes it is, though.:))

Dreadnought
09 Feb 10,, 20:14
*28 inches here over the weekend and another 12-20" expected tonight/tommorow. Looks like I'm going to need to saddle up my Polar Bear.:cool:

dave lukins
09 Feb 10,, 20:17
*28 inches here over the weekend and another 12-20" expected tonight/tommorow. Looks like I'm going to need to saddle up my Polar Bear.:cool:

Dread' where is' here'? Are you on the East coast?:)

Dreadnought
09 Feb 10,, 20:18
Dread' where is' here'? Are you on the East coast?:)

Yep, just outside of Philadelphia Pennsylvania.;)

troung
10 Feb 10,, 16:57
Sen. Jim DeMint twitters: D.C. snow will continue 'until Al Gore cries uncle'
By Jordan Fabian - 02/09/10 01:24 PM ET

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) on Tuesday used the D.C. snowstorm to make a political jab, saying that it provides evidence for global warming skeptics.

The conservative senator took to Twitter on Tuesday amid reports that the area is due to receive another 10 to 20 inches of snow this week:

It's going to keep snowing in DC until Al Gore cries "uncle"

Some conservatives have echoed DeMint's sentiments that the snowstorm should poke holes in evidence backing global warming.

DeMint took direct aim at the former vice president, who is one of the foremost proponents of government action to counter global warming.

Reports of more snow caused the House of Representatives to call off the rest of its votes scheduled for this week. The Washington, D.C. area was blanketed with about two feet of snow last week, causing the Senate to adjourn earlier than expected on Thursday.

The South Carolina senator was not the first Republican to use the snowstorm to make a political point. Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kansas) said that absence of votes in the House is a plus for taxpayers.

JAD_333
10 Feb 10,, 17:21

Hilarious. :)) Thanks for that Trong. I suspect if we wait for Gore to say uncle, the whole city will be covered right up to the tip of the Washington Monument.

Dreadnought
10 Feb 10,, 17:54
Hilarious. :)) Thanks for that Trong. I suspect if we wait for Gore to say uncle, the whole city will be covered right up to the tip of the Washington Monument.

*They changed our forecast, now we will get the full 24" ontop of the 28" we recieved in the last two days. Winter wonderland.:))

JAD_333
10 Feb 10,, 19:35
You're outside Phila? Wow, another 24. We were supposed to get 10-12 last night. Mother nature changed her mind and gave us 5-6", but more on the way. Now we're looking at serious drifts. This is the NWF for my area as of 2:22 pm. Check out the wind speeds.

This Afternoon: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 26. Windy, with a west wind between 31 and 33 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tonight: A slight chance of snow before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -1. Windy, with a northwest wind between 21 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 39.18N and Longitude 78.18W (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.182239762945684&lon=-78.170471191)

Parihaka
10 Feb 10,, 21:31
I an so jealous I'm practically dying from envy :sighs:

cape_royds
10 Feb 10,, 22:46
Could you send some of that stuff to Vancouver? We're trying to hold a "Winter" Olympics here, but these damned flowers of ours keep blooming. Someone should have told Mother Nature that we've blown six billion bucks on these Games!

Greenest Games Ever, goes our slogan, true in several different ways. Of course, I think the Sikorsky crane helicopter they're using to haul snow to some of the skiing venues might be blowing the hell out of our supposed "carbon-neutrality."

Albany Rifles
11 Feb 10,, 02:37
south of Richmond...it has been a weird 2 weeks.....14 in then a hard freeze ( a cast iron bitch to walk through!!!!) followed by a pounding rain storm which becomes a 7 inch snowfall...which becomes a a rain storm to snow and 5 inches on the road....with rednecks who thin a 4 wheel drive lets them drive normal.....give me Spring for my survival!!!!

PS: Shek and all others from NOVA, I hope you are surviving the Snowpocalypse....I am supposed to brief the G4 next Wed for a ROC Drill at Belvoir...betting it gets cancelled.

Blue
11 Feb 10,, 03:01
with rednecks who thin a 4 wheel drive lets them drive normal.....

Wut? Don't it???:biggrin:;)

My only rule is never drive faster than you can see!!:biggrin::biggrin:

S2
11 Feb 10,, 03:10
Here in the northwest (as cape_royds suggested) we'll be seeing trees bud in the next few weeks...at least west of the cascades. Had some damned cold fogs at night and morning but it's been burning off (until today) and showing 60F and lots of sun.

Don't envy you at all. Portland gets very little snow but last year Christmas my car was COMPLETELY COVERED after two days and it didn't melt for about two weeks. Tree limbs gone everywhere and a legit hazard if you stepped out.

All you guys will need is an ice-storm to cap matters and they'll create an isolation zone out of the eastern seaboard to hold back the refugees...:))

Dreadnought
11 Feb 10,, 13:54
By Jordan Fabian - 02/09/10 01:24 PM ET

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) on Tuesday used the D.C. snowstorm to make a political jab, saying that it provides evidence for global warming skeptics.

The conservative senator took to Twitter on Tuesday amid reports that the area is due to receive another 10 to 20 inches of snow this week:

It's going to keep snowing in DC until Al Gore cries "uncle"

Some conservatives have echoed DeMint's sentiments that the snowstorm should poke holes in evidence backing global warming.

DeMint took direct aim at the former vice president, who is one of the foremost proponents of government action to counter global warming.

Reports of more snow caused the House of Representatives to call off the rest of its votes scheduled for this week. The Washington, D.C. area was blanketed with about two feet of snow last week, causing the Senate to adjourn earlier than expected on Thursday.

The South Carolina senator was not the first Republican to use the snowstorm to make a political point. Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kansas) said that absence of votes in the House is a plus for taxpayers.

*Since I've been alive I have seen the House,Senate and Congress take off because of inclimate weather such as snow etc. But I've never ever seen a day they have taken off and given "Global Warming" as their reason.Go figure!:))

Rumrunner
11 Feb 10,, 14:46
Just over a foot outside my door this mornin, and as usual nobody shoveled the sidewalks so it has now all frozen into hardpack until it rains, and as of 730 the street hadnt been plowed.

It should be said though my girlfreind and I had a blast watching the Dominican Sisyphus show last night, where you see all the people in lowered tinted-out 18yo cars with plastic rims drive up the hill on my street, get stuck and slide back down. Lather rinse repeat, all to the soothing beat of Reggaeton.

Albany Rifles
12 Feb 10,, 02:43
Wut? Don't it???:biggrin:;)

My only rule is never drive faster than you can see!!:biggrin::biggrin:

As we Yankees know 4 wheel drive just lets you get stuck in deeper snow.

Blue
12 Feb 10,, 03:36

Thats why you need the momentum to just blast right on through!!:biggrin::biggrin:

pennsy
12 Feb 10,, 03:58
A world weather report this morning suggests the east coast is going to get another blast next week. Is three such winter storms so close together rare?

:)

gunnut
12 Feb 10,, 05:43
A world weather report this morning suggests the east coast is going to get another blast next week. Is three such winter storms so close together rare?

:)

Not with the help of GLOBAL WARMING!!!!

Dun dun dun....!!!!

JAD_333
12 Feb 10,, 08:49

Yup.:redface::redface:

And I was trying Sniper's blast on thru technique. I discovered wheels off the ground don't have much traction.:)

S2
12 Feb 10,, 12:03
Looks like the precip is over for D.C. according to the weather channel. Sunny now and cold with clouds expected but a low chance of precipitation in the next 48 hours. Winds out of the north are making it feel positively brisk (16F windchill with 12mph winds).

Yea or nay?

Blue
12 Feb 10,, 15:12
Yup.:redface::redface:

And I was trying Sniper's blast on thru technique. I discovered wheels off the ground don't have much traction.:)

You got any pictures of that and who was holding your beer?!:biggrin::biggrin:

Parihaka
12 Feb 10,, 19:58
Do you guys use tyre chains in the US?

Dreadnought
12 Feb 10,, 20:49
Do you guys use tyre chains in the US?

*Many do Pari, including fire trucks, trash trucks etc. I've even see a fire truck with tiller trailer have snow chains this week.:biggrin:

Very seldom does a good 4X4 require them but some do put them on anyway.

Southie
12 Feb 10,, 21:02
When I lived outside DC I didn't ever use tire chains! But, I think I've said it before, when you drive a car with FL plates on it during a snow storm, no one comes near you! lol

Julie
12 Feb 10,, 21:23
When I lived outside DC I didn't ever use tire chains! But, I think I've said it before, when you drive a car with FL plates on it during a snow storm, no one comes near you! lolLOL..! :biggrin:

dave lukins
12 Feb 10,, 22:48
When I lived outside DC I didn't ever use tire chains! But, I think I've said it before, when you drive a car with FL plates on it during a snow storm, no one comes near you! lol

Start selling FL plates and make a fortune:))

dave lukins
12 Feb 10,, 22:55
I'm waiting for the Winter Olympics to start.. on TV they are showing trucks transporting snow for the slopes...not a good sign:(

JAD_333
13 Feb 10,, 08:33
Looks like the precip is over for D.C. according to the weather channel. Sunny now and cold with clouds expected but a low chance of precipitation in the next 48 hours. Winds out of the north are making it feel positively brisk (16F windchill with 12mph winds).

Yea or nay?

Keep hearing murmurs of more nastiness next week. Snow likely next Monday.

Last 2 days sunny and mild. Melting fast.

JAD_333
13 Feb 10,, 08:35
You got any pictures of that and who was holding your beer?!:biggrin::biggrin:

I am ashamed to say I managed it completely without a single drink.:redface:

JAD_333
13 Feb 10,, 08:37
*Many do Pari, including fire trucks, trash trucks etc. I've even see a fire truck with tiller trailer have snow chains this week.:biggrin:

Very seldom does a good 4X4 require them but some do put them on anyway.

The guy who tried to pull me out of a snow bank, had 4-wheel drive and chains on the back two. He tore off his chains trying, but couldn't budge me. :redface:

Gun Grape
13 Feb 10,, 21:58
According to the NWS there was snow in all the states except for Hawaii yesterday. Checking their records, this may be the first time that has ever happened.

It snowed about 50 miles north of where I live. Didn't stay long.

Southie
13 Feb 10,, 22:31
According to the NWS there was snow in all the states except for Hawaii yesterday. Checking their records, this may be the first time that has ever happened.

It snowed about 50 miles north of where I live. Didn't stay long.

That was in Tallahassee, right? A friend of mine is in AL, near Dothan and got about 3 inches of snow yesterday!

But you know what GG, pretty soon we'll be complaining about the heat and humidity and this won't seem that bad! :biggrin:

gunnut
15 Feb 10,, 19:14
Just heard a new one:

Snowvechkin - when you get blind-sided by a powerful blizzard that leaves you dazed and confused.

In other news, we are experiencing a heatwave in southern California. The sudden change in temperature has left me with terrible allergies.:(