Anti Semitic incidents U/K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Semitic incidents U/K

This is a disturbing trend , there is no room for racial hatred and violence ,not just against Jews , but for everyone , here in the UK we have a multi cultural society ,which , IMO is not working and never will , but violence aint the answer ,but i reckon the way things are going it will get worse , especially with the rapid rise of Islam , people here are getting sick of it .i personally not being religeous couldnt care less about who prays to who, but i do care that people dont adhere to our laws and way of life , if they dont like it , move , end of problem

A record number of anti-Semitic incidents took place in Britain last year mainly sparked by Israel's Gaza offensive against Hamas militants, a Jewish advisory body said on Friday.

The Community Security Trust (CST), an organisation which advises Britain's estimated 300,000 Jews on safety issues, said it had been notified of 924 incidents in 2009.

That was the highest number since it began collating figures in 1984, and a 55 percent increase on the previous record figure registered in 2006.

"These record figures show that anti-Semitism is an increasingly significant problem for British Jews," said CST spokesman Mark Gardner.

"The trend must be reversed and we call upon decent people to speak out against anti-Semitism in all its forms."

The CST said the rise was largely due to "unprecedented levels of anti-Semitism" during and after Israel's offensive against Hamas militants in December 2008. Almost a quarter of the incidents included some reference to the conflict.

Of the 924 incidents, 124 were rated as violent, the highest annual number the CST has recorded. Three of these involved a threat to life or grievous bodily harm, including an attempt to set fire to a rabbi's house.

Victims of abuse and assaults included Jewish academics, students, schoolchildren and teachers. Most incidents took place in London and Manchester, home to the two biggest Jewish communities in Britain.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the increase was deeply troubling, while the Conservative Party said Britain's Jews faced a "real and growing danger."

"Anti-Semitism is one of the most ancient of hatreds -- and yet it constantly adapts to modern times, requiring ever greater vigilance from all of us who are determined to stand up for tolerance and for the truth," Brown said.

"No strength of feeling can ever justify violent extremism or attacks and we will stand firm against all those who would use anti-Israeli feeling as an excuse or disguise for anti-Semitism and attacks on the Jewish community."

In recent months, politicians have voiced concern about a rise in support for far-right parties while police have also warned about a danger posed by right-wing extremists.

"The open hate of Israel fanned by jihadi Islamist ideologues is creating an unacceptable climate of fear for Jews," said Denis MacShane, a lawmaker who led a 2006 parliamentary inquiry into anti-Semitism.

"Politicians need to take the lead and say loudly and clearly that British Jews should not have to face intimidation and threats.
    Last edited by tankie; 05 Feb 10,, 15:07.

Why do immigrants settle into a new country in the hope of a better life, but bring their old hatreds and prejudices with them?

It annoys the hell out of me, especially when trouble erupts and consequently the host country is labelled racist as a result. This happened last year when there were clashes between Sri Lankan and Tamil supporters in Sydney & Melbourne

Comment

From my experience, much of the problem isnt the original immigrants (although I have heard - in person - people relating a new version of the "blood libel") but youngsters being misinformed by unscrupulous mulahs using Gaza a yet another casus belli.

Having said that, I have also been witness to more anti-Jewish comments amongst white youngsters... sheer ignorance but perhaps fueled by general raised tensions i.e, especially with the up-surge in BNP and higher levels of unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by PubFather View Post
        From my experience, much of the problem isnt the original immigrants (although I have heard - in person - people relating a new version of the "blood libel") but youngsters being misinformed by unscrupulous mulahs using Gaza a yet another casus belli.

Having said that, I have also been witness to more anti-Jewish comments amongst white youngsters... sheer ignorance but perhaps fueled by general raised tensions i.e, especially with the up-surge in BNP and higher levels of unemployment.
        Pubfather,

I think there are two issues here. Migrants bring wiht them their 'old' identity, and many keep it all their lives. This can mean perpetuating all their old ideas & prejudices, though usually it does not - they adapt. What it can mean, however, is that they are often more comfortable in their own skins - they are from 'X' & have come to 'Y' & may not neccesarily see any contradiction between being a part of both societies & proud of elements of both.

Their children, however, can face a different situation, especially if they are visibly 'foreign'. They are products of a society where they can feel like 'outsiders' & can thus feel somewhat cut adrift - not of their parents culture, but not entirely of their own home either. Combine this with adolescent search for identity & you can have problems. Of course, this is a very tiny minority. Most find their place without issue.

I'm increasingly of the view that the world would be an infinitely safer place if we just quarantined 16-24 year old males.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by pennsy View Post
          Why do immigrants settle into a new country in the hope of a better life, but bring their old hatreds and prejudices with them?

It annoys the hell out of me, especially when trouble erupts and consequently the host country is labelled racist as a result. This happened last year when there were clashes between Sri Lankan and Tamil supporters in Sydney & Melbourne
          Nothing new under the sun Pennsy. The English & Irish (me peeps) had at it from 1788 until the 1960s, including several civil uprisings & countless acts of violence & even 'terrorism'. The sectarian divide this created shaped this nation for good & ill in a way that no subsequent ethnic group or groups could hope to do in twice the time. I think you'll find that newer arrivals are actually integrating much more quickly than my forbearers ever did. The difference is that we get to see every failure on the nightly news now.

Oh, and importing the whole idea of racial hierarchies & property law didn't do the natives much good either, but that is a whole nother story & gets us even further away from the unfortunate events that kicked off this thread.
          sigpic

Comment

let me be the first to give a big yawn over this report.

Have they gotten like the Anti-Defamation League, and resigned themselves to counting swastikas scratched on bathroom walls to find "anti-Semitic incidents "?

Look at the numbers they quote 924 incidences, 124 were declared violent.

Then we get to the real meat of the story, that to me isn't a story.

Of those 124 violent incidents a whole 3 of them involved a threat to life or grievous bodily harm, including an attempt to set fire to a rabbi's house.

Sounds to me like, someone threatened to burn a house down and probably threatened to kick 2 peoples butts.

Notice the reports don't mention any actual acts of violence, just threats.

So as I read it 3 people were threated in all of the UK because they were jewish. Its the worse ever and shows a ""unprecedented levels of anti-Semitism" .

It sounds to me like, someone pandering for money for their pet project, Fund more money to combat antisemitism, and everyone else is to afraid to say that 3 threats do not make a problem.

Three incidents of antisemitism is only one more remark that what Mel Gibson uttered when he was arested for DUI.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              let me be the first to give a big yawn over this report.

Have they gotten like the Anti-Defamation League, and resigned themselves to counting swastikas scratched on bathroom walls to find "anti-Semitic incidents "?

Look at the numbers they quote 924 incidences, 124 were declared violent.

Then we get to the real meat of the story, that to me isn't a story.

Of those 124 violent incidents a whole 3 of them involved a threat to life or grievous bodily harm, including an attempt to set fire to a rabbi's house.

Sounds to me like, someone threatened to burn a house down and probably threatened to kick 2 peoples butts.

Notice the reports don't mention any actual acts of violence, just threats.

So as I read it 3 people were threated in all of the UK because they were jewish. Its the worse ever and shows a ""unprecedented levels of anti-Semitism" .

It sounds to me like, someone pandering for money for their pet project, Fund more money to combat antisemitism, and everyone else is to afraid to say that 3 threats do not make a problem.

Three incidents of antisemitism is only one more remark that what Mel Gibson uttered when he was arested for DUI.
              GG,

Not quite as simple as all that. the 3 violent attacks mentioned here were classified as having intent to kill. There were other violent attacks not mentioned in detail in the news report Tankie posted. They are in the report, though the exact figures on physical attacks are not clear - they are all under 'assault'. Many of these are stuff like throwing eggs, but some are quite a bit nastier.

• January: A visibly Jewish man was assaulted in north west London. The attackers punched him to the ground and kicked him in the head and body. During the attack the perpetrators were shouting about the Palestinians in Gaza.

• February: Three non-Jewish people walking down a main road in central London were assaulted by two men, one white and one of Asian appearance, who accused them of being Jewish and then attacked them. The victims suffered cuts, chipped teeth and possible eye socket and jaw fractures.

• February: A visibly Jewish student in Leeds was attacked by a group of Asian men who saw him and shouted “Get the Jew”, before pelting him
              with snowballs and pushing him against a wall.

• February: A 12-year-old pupil who is the only Jewish girl in her school was attacked by a group of 20 other schoolchildren of mixed races, who pulled her hair and shouted: “Death to the Jews, kill all Jews.”

• March: A visibly Jewish man took his children to a play area in north Manchester. While he was there two white people attacked him, shouting:
              “F**king Jew, they should do over here the same as they did in Germany.”

• May: Two white youths attacked a Jewish family on a street in north Manchester. One of the perpetrators shouted “You f**king Jews, we will
              get you, we will kill you”, before kicking one of their victims in the head and
              headbutting another.
              http://www.thecst.org.uk/docs/CST-in...09-for-web.pdf
              sigpic

Comment

Disgusting. What I don't understand is how and why Asians can get into violent anti-Semitism. What's up with that?
                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                  Disgusting. What I don't understand is how and why Asians can get into violent anti-Semitism. What's up with that?

I probably should have done a translation. In the UK 'Asian' usually refers to people of subcontinental origin (which is technically part of Asia - though quite a few actually came from Uganda in the early 70s). These young men are most likely muslims of Pakistani, Bangladeshi or Indian origin (if what I hear is correct more the first than the latter two).
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    GG,

Not quite as simple as all that. the 3 violent attacks mentioned here were classified as having intent to kill. There were other violent attacks not mentioned in detail in the news report Tankie posted. They are in the report, though the exact figures on physical attacks are not clear - they are all under 'assault'. Many of these are stuff like throwing eggs, but some are quite a bit nastier.
                    But even looking at the numbers, its a big yawn. Most of the incidents were nonviolent quotes on blogs and yes swastikas on walls. I almost laughed at the bacon on the door one. If it takes incidences like that to bring the numbers up to "Highest level ever" than I don't see much of a problem.
                    Especially when only 3 had the "intent to kill" .Even though I don't see how the "Tried to set a house on fire while occupied" falls into that category unless the doors had been barred from the outside. That wasn't mentioned

That doesn't mean I want to trivialize actual incidences of antisemitism but overblown reports like this don't help the cause.

As I said in my first post, they will be marginalized as the JDF were for doing the same thing.

Another thing that strikes me funny was, earlier on another thread many Europeans and one or 2 from down under were talking about how oversensitive Americans were about race relations with blacks. Seeing nothing wrong with "Black Face" comedy and other things that you wouldn't see in my country.

Yet, some drunk teen skinhead painting a swastika on a brick wall brings harsh condemnation, as do the slurs mentioned in the report.

I'm thinking that the blacks in America are just offended by some white comedian in black face as the young jewish schoolchild is by being called a derogatory name. Both are a mental slap in the face. Both should be equally condemned.

Comment

Actually, i think those numbers are pretty high. Germany had only 44 violent anti-semitic incidents in 2008, that includes attempts (compared to those 124 in the UK, and don't forget the German population is bigger).

Comment

Working...
                      X