Arnies prison plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnies prison plan

can someone explain to me why it is we are housing 20,000 inmates in Cal that are illegal immigrants anyway?

Send California inmates to Mexico, says Schwarzenegger - Yahoo! News

Mon Jan 25, 8:45 pm ET
    SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) – Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger suggested California could ease its crowded prison system by sending thousands of undocumented inmates to specially built jails in Mexico.

Speaking to reporters at the Sacramento Press Club, Schwarzenegger said California could ease its strained finances by a billion dollars if 20,000 illegal immigrants currently held in the state were housed across the border.

"I think that we can do so much better in the prison system alone if we can go and take, inmates for instance, the 20,000 inmates that are illegal immigrants that are here and get them to Mexico," Schwarzenegger said.

"Think about it -- if California gives Mexico the money. Not 'Hey, you take care of them, these are your citizens'. No. Not at all.

"We pay them to build the prison down in Mexico. And then we have those undocumented immigrants down there in prison. It would half the costs to build the prison and run the prison. We could save a billion dollars right there that could go into higher education."

Schwarzenegger's remarks come as California prepares for the latest in a long line of state budget crises.

Schwarzenegger declared a fiscal emergency earlier this month, warning severe cuts were necessary to stem a 19.9-billion-dollar deficit.

California has some of the most overcrowded prisons in the United States, with an estimated 170,000 inmates housed in facilities designed for 100,000 people, according to 2007 figures.

Schwarzenegger said he believed the financial burden of California's prisons could be eased if the private sector moved into the industry.

"I think that there is no reason why we should have just state employees and public prisons," Schwarzenegger said. "Why shouldn't we have private prisons and private prisons competing with public prisons?

"I don't want to go and get rid of public prisons, not at all. It's not an attack on their labor union even though they may take it as such.

Why ARENT we just sending them back and say 'they are you citizens, they are your problem'

Wouldnt bother me in the least.

Pay them nothing and send them back anyway. If they come back then shoot them. Enough said.:P
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
      Pay them nothing and send them back anyway. If they come back then shoot them. Enough said.:P
      he's talking about paying Mexico to build the jails, and paying Mexico to house them etc etc.

they are illegal aliens.

what the hell are they even allowed to stay for, when they are in JAIL already!

are immigration laws that lax, that once you have them 'rounded' up and in jail, that they dont immidiatley ship them back to there country of origin?

Comment

Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
        can someone explain to me why it is we are housing 20,000 inmates in Cal that are illegal immigrants anyway?
        Because this is the great bleeding heart state of Kalifornia. "We would be violating their inalienable rights as illegal aliens!"
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

If they are sent back, there needs to be guarantees that they won't be released to return. I don't really see how this could be done. They are locked up for a reason- if we sent them back to Mexico or wherever, and they are released, it will only create more problems.

What should be done is to charge the home country for the cost of detention here- subtract it from the money we send south. When they have completed their sentences, deport them.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

stitch,

Because this is the great bleeding heart state of Kalifornia. "We would be violating their inalienable rights as illegal aliens!"
            actually, the fear is that if we send these inmates down to mexico, the mexican authorities would simply release them as they didn't commit the crimes on mexican soil.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
              If they are sent back, there needs to be guarantees that they won't be released to return. I don't really see how this could be done. They are locked up for a reason- if we sent them back to Mexico or wherever, and they are released, it will only create more problems.

What should be done is to charge the home country for the cost of detention here- subtract it from the money we send south. When they have completed their sentences, deport them.
              and whats to keep them from coming back after they comeplete there sentence and get deported?

Comment

My plan for Illegal immigrants is pretty simple.
                When they get caught, place a big X on their foreheads in indelible ink that last for about six weeks then ship them home.
                They come back with the X, you know just from looking that they are here illegally, it makes them easier to both spot and to identify those who hire them.
                Ship them back again, only this time with a tattooed X and shut down the business and fine the hell out of the owner.
                It's a bit simple and I'm sure it violates someone's rights somewhere along the line, but I'm good with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
                  and whats to keep them from coming back after they comeplete there sentence and get deported?
                  Nothing, but it's better than cutting them loose today. And who knows, maybe some of them will decide to stay away.

But I think they should serve out their sentences, and I think their home countries should foot the tab.

Obviously we need to secure the border, but that's another thread. If they do come back, it's an automatic felony.
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Cut welfare, eliminate minimum wage, and make it generally not so friendly to illegals to cut down their numbers. As of now, we're basically subsidizing Mexico's poor, or even their middle class.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

^^^ While we're at it, let's reverse the income tax structure, so the highest percentage bracket is for the lowest income levels. 40% of the first 10K, 20% of the next 10K, 5% of the next 10K, etc...

Make it too expensive to be poor. ;)

Solve the immigration problem and the poverty problem at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                        Nothing, but it's better than cutting them loose today. And who knows, maybe some of them will decide to stay away.

But I think they should serve out their sentences, and I think their home countries should foot the tab.

Obviously we need to secure the border, but that's another thread. If they do come back, it's an automatic felony.
                        ya, i kind of thought about that after posting it.

i guess if you dont punish them at all (prison) then there is nothing to discourage them from returning to try it again.

Comment

Working...
                        X