Straya Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straya Day

January 26 is the day that my fair nation celebrates its birthday. Some 222 years ago approximately 1332 Royal Marines, sailors, family members & convicts (one of them rumoured to be an ancestor of yours truly) landed in Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) to commence the European settlement of Australia.

Well...thats the quick & easy version. Like all foundation myths it is not quite the whole truth. Being a bit of an historian I prefer the somewhat messier version. White settlement in Australia actually began a week earlier on Jan 19, 12 km south at Botany Bay. it turned out that the glowing reports of Captain james Cook some 18 years earlier were a bit off the mark. The soil was poor. Worse, the trees were so tough they broke the tools the men had. Those huts that were contructed soon fell down. And in a strong pointer to the future some of those guarding the convicts were more interested in getting drunk (what is it they say about starting as you mean to continue? :)) ). To top it all off the natives (take that proponents of terra nullius) were hanging around a bit too much.

So, Captain Phillip took some men in smaller boats for a bit of a scout. He soon stumbled on Port Jackson, "the finest harbour in the world, in which a thousand sail of the line may ride in the most perfect security ...". All in all a much better. There was, however, one more twist in the story. As the fleet exited Botany Bay it bumped into several French ships. Yep, you go to the literal ends of the earth & the bloody French are there! Fortunately for Australia the French, led by explorer La Perouse, had no intention or ability to stake a claim. Australia would become the proud British nation it remains to this day. ;)

The intervening years have been a mixture of good & bad, ups & downs, heroes & villans. The good news, however, is that we have built quite a nice place to live. Personally I'm rather fond of the place.

So, on Straya Day 2010 raise a cold one & burn a lamb chop on the barbie with your Ozzie mates. Straya, Straya, Straya we love you (crack tubes). :))
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    ... Straya, Straya, Straya we love you (crack tubes). :))
    Must be a Melbourne thing because in the rest of the country we say "Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie! ... Oi! Oi Oi". Anyway, happy Straya day all.
    "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Have a great day ozzies , i pasted your national anthem for you , brings a tear to the eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBT7PfAEgc

Comment

And if ya dont like that one ,,, try this instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzV_0l5ILI

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
          And if ya dont like that one ,,, try this instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzV_0l5ILI

Gorra be a bit more Modern Eric, ST. ANGER METALLICA

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
            Must be a Melbourne thing because in the rest of the country we say "Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie! ... Oi! Oi Oi". Anyway, happy Straya day all.

Nah. Monty Python thing. Will also accept 'this is the wattle, its the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a botle, you can hold it in your hand'.

Never been a big 'ozzie, ozzie, ozzie' sort of guy. A few too many encounters with offensively drunk yobs at the cricket put me off it before it ever became fashionable.

Unfortunately the exact Monty Python version I heard isn't on youtube, but both the clips below are worth a watch. Favourite line: 'howls of derisive laughter bruce'.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

The bit about American Beer is not a joke

Comment

Bruce:

Oz, Oz, Oz. I almost became a New Australian in '90. Wot y'all call your ticketed aliens, innit? I like "aliens", personally. Official America's only suggestion of a sense of humor. Humour?

A headhunter called me at work back then & asked me to, in return for a generous fee, find him someone suitable to start a cardiovascular ultrasound training program & a mobile remote testing service centered around a hospital-based program to be expanded by the applicant. This was in Perth. I told the guy OK without any hesitation because I already knew a couple of people who had the knowledge & experience to be useful & the gumption to make the jump.

After I got home from work I mentioned this sudden income windfall to Mary & my kid, Elizabeth. They went ape simultaneously, but not over the money. They wanted me to go for it. Perth looks a little isolated on the map, but they didn't give a shit. Total enthusiasm for a move to Australia.

Called the guy the next day & told him what they had said, & suggested me, with the two others (unnamed) in reserve. He was pretty flattering in his response to my offer. I was perfect for it, after all. In addition to an extremely satisfactory salary, a one year satisfaction opt-out & some deadline incentives I was to get a house (to live in, not to own) & a car of some sort called a "Morgan (sp?)." So we were headed for Australia.

A happy & anticipatory week later the dude called me back to tell me that (get this shit) a Polish "New Australian", a Cardiologist once specializing in ultrasound diagnosis before migration but who was currently driving a f*ckin' truck, had responded to the required(?) local advertisement. The consortium, school or whatever putting the package together thought he'd do fine, would do without any of the incentive goodies & would be a win-win solution to their problem. For everyone but the headhunter & me. Not only did I not get the job, I was even losing the original finder's fee.

I was audibly unhappy at the poor guy & he sent me some inadequate compensation, but I've always wondered. What did I miss?

Prof
                Last edited by Prof; 26 Jan 10,, 15:29. Reason: grammar correction

Comment

[ What did I miss?

Prof[/QUOTE]

Decent Beer and being called Bruce

Comment

Yes well.

Australia.

The nation that brought us Fosters beer, the underarm bowl, and Kevin Rudd.

Whose contribution to military technology is a stick which when thrown curves back and hits the thrower in the head.

Whose contribution to music is a pipe you burp down.

Whose contribution to language is to add an E to the end of every noun ending in a vowel.

Inventors of Stubbies shorts, speedo togs, hats with corks on and of course the 1st submarine Americas Cup yacht.

I'm very proud of all our Australian members, I know it's difficult for you and to celebrate your special day we've brought out an anniversary edition of MS Windows just for you
                    Windows for Australians

Happy annieversaree :)
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

World record. Well, John record. Five of'em

Prof

Comment

After spending 8 months in Queensland, I feel (a bit dumber, but I also feel) like an honorary Ozzie. I drank XXXX Gold, followed the Broncos, have replaced the word "my" with the word "me", hunted and shot a kangaroo, and hade an awesome time with a people whose sole purpose of life is to have fun. Good on ya, mates, and keep it going for another coupla hundred years. I'm in Vegas at the moment, but I'll drink one for you guys anyway.

Cheers, mates!
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Congrats...but..is there anyway we can talk you into taking in the rest of the poms?

(I hope I used Pom correctly. We usually just call them Inselaffen.)

Comment

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for Six days. Eventually, Michael the Archangel found him, resting on the seventh day. He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I've made." Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet, replied God, "and I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance".

"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth.

"For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot."

"Over there I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people" God continued, pointing to different countries. "And over there, I call this place America.

North America will be rich and powerful and cold, while South America will be poor, and hot and friendly. And the little spot in the middle is Central America which is a Hot spot. Can you see the balance?"

"Yes" said the Archangel, impressed by Gods work, then he pointed to a smallish land mass and asked, "What's that one?"

"Ah" said God. "That's New Zealand, the most glorious place on Earth. There are beautiful mountains, rainforests, rivers, streams and an exquisite coast line. The people are good looking, intelligent and humorous and they're going to be found traveling the world. They'll be extremely sociable, hard-working and high-achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace. I'm also going to give them super- human, undefeatable, strong in character citizens who will be admired and feared by all who come across them".

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then exclaimed, "You said there will be BALANCE!"

God replied wisely. "Wait until you see the buggers I'm putting next to them"
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              Have a great day ozzies , i pasted your national anthem for you , brings a tear to the eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBT7PfAEgc
                              Actually Tankie, you would like bits of our national anthem. We only ever sing the first verse, but there are three more. I've only included no.2, but I think you'll like bits of it. :)

Australian sons, let us rejoice.
                              For we are young and free.
                              We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
                              Our home is girt by sea.
                              Our land abounds in nature's gifts
                              Of beauty rich and rare,
                              In history's page let every stage
                              Advance Australia Fair
                              In joyful strains then let us sing
                              Advance Australia Fair.

When gallant Cook from Albion sailed.
                              To trace wide oceans o'er.