PDA

View Full Version : Early start! : 2010 baseball season thread

RollingWave
25 Jan 10,, 10:50
Well, some of those first http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/01/21/miguel-cabrera-in-alcohol-abuse-treatment (player X have done this and that over the winter and is now a new man) type of articles are already poping up so I guess the baseball season isn't THAT far away :P

So what's in store? it seems that most of the major moves have been made and only a few guys are left over on the market.

Some general outlook I think.

AL

East: right now, pecking order is probably Yankee > Red Sox (WC) > Rays (large gap)> Os and Jays, not a whole lot's changed here, the Yanks and RS are still very close, on paper the Yanks a bit better but really not large enough that certainly unforseen preformance or injuries can't change, Rays probably make the playoff if they change to any other division, but in this one their odds are poor (but not impossible, they have some nasty prospects on the verge again) . the O's might be ready to pass the Jays, they have made very significant progress in the last couple of years and are now finally looking like they have a plan.

Central: it's going to be another crapshoot, has been this way for a long while. it is really hard to say with any certainty that who has the advantage, as I think pretty much everyone but the Royals have a realistic shot, (and even the Royals might not be that bad) but also have the potential to suck badly. I have a very hard time making calls on this one. all I can say is that the Royals won't make the playoff . but all 4 other teams might .

West: the West have gotten interesting, the Angels seems to be declining but they almost always manage to pull out a nice season. the Mariners appears to be making a lot of smart moves but their lineup still looks thin. the Rangers and A's are actually solid teams in their own right. this is another tough division to call, right now I go with Mariner > Angels > Rangers > A's but feels that the order could easily change dramatically.

NL

East: well, the Phillies are still awesome, the Braves are looking like very legitimate wild card contender, and the Mets are a mess. the Marlins would be a contender if they spend more than a AAA team, but since they don't they're not likely to contend, the Nationals are on the right track but they're still at the infancy stages of rebuilding from a disastor of Haiti perportion.

I'd call Phillies > Braves (WC) > Marlins > Mets (the Mets of the last 3 year were unlucky but they also had serious flaws, those flaws don't look like they gotten any better if not worse, even assuming luck bounce back some they're probably a 3rd place team at best.). > Nationals.

Central: The Cardinals are going to win, and it's not going to be close, the Cubs and lesser extend the Brewers might have a outside shot at the wild card. the Reds and Pirates and Astros are still terrible, the difference is that I can see the former two get better in 2 or 3 year, but not the Astros, who might have a ok record but isn't going to the playoff anytime soon.

right now it's Cards > Cubs > Brewers > Astros > Reds > Pirates.

West: another very tough division to call other than the obvious fact that the Padres are going to be downright dreadful. the othe 4 teams all have some amazing talents but also has a lot of holes . the Dodgers probably are a tick above the rest (though WAR projections says the 4 teams are basically a wash and the Rockies might have the slight advantage, but I've seen some other projections that probably would put to Dodger as an awesome 95+ win team easily).

Tough call: Dodgers > 3 teams very interchangable and all have a mild shot at the wild card if not the division too >>>>>>>>>>>>>. Padres .

bigross86
25 Jan 10,, 18:14
I have been and always will be a Mets fan, but what happened last year was really painful to watch. I think that the team needs restructuring in certain areas, from the GM all the way down to the pinch runners. While injuries definitely played a part in last year's debacle, some things were just plain unforgivable. I'm hoping things will change this year around for the Mets, and we'll see them giving and continuing to give the stellar performance we all know they're capable of giving. Here's hoping...

RollingWave
27 Jan 10,, 02:28
yeah, they probably need to fire their most of their FO and medical staff. the last 3 season of the Mets are either really funny or painful depending on your allegiance

bigross86
27 Jan 10,, 03:47
Two years ago and three years ago there was definitely something wrong with the Mets themselves. Squandering such big leads two seasons running is a big problem. Last year was more bad luck than anything else, if you ask me. Sure, there were some fiascoes with the main office, Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel and of course, the good Mr. Tony Bernazard...

RollingWave
27 Jan 10,, 04:21
The Mets have done well in acquring stars for the most part, Carlos Beltran signing and Johnan Santana trade were both very successful acquisition. but they have done poorly to fill in the gap. and their drafting , player development has been pretty ehhh outside of David Wright. they nearly messed up Jose Reyes by rushing him, and since then have not produced anyone that's more than ok quality (like Pelfry, and even the ok guys aren't exactly abundent)

Of the 14 hitters and 14 pitchers that had the most playing time for the Mets last year (i'm using 14 14 because # 14 on both list are guys that fit the profile). 4 hittes and 3 pitchers were developed by the Mets. in comparason, using the same standards you get 7 yankee hitters and 8 pitchers. even if we discount the old guards it's still 5:6 .

Truth is, the Mets right now looks and feel a lot like the Yankees of 05-08, a team with great starts but some gigantic holes they can't properly fill from within.

RollingWave
19 Mar 10,, 05:49
So players taking PED = outrage

but Ron Washington taking cocain = .... crickets?

ShawnG
20 Mar 10,, 20:59
My Cleveland Indians have been pretty consistent with choking when the time counts. At least they find ways to beat the Yankees (something like 7 of the top 10 run totals dropped on the NYY in their team history are from the Indians--last year's 22 run game included).

I'm looking forward to Asdrubal Cabrera continuing his improvement and being a .300 hitter, as well as Grady Sizemore coming out and figuring out how to consistently hit over .250.

That way, once they can be considered solid/premier players, Cleveland can deal them away for peanuts and minor leaguers.

ShawnG
20 Mar 10,, 21:01
Two years ago and three years ago there was definitely something wrong with the Mets themselves. Squandering such big leads two seasons running is a big problem. Last year was more bad luck than anything else, if you ask me. Sure, there were some fiascoes with the main office, Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel and of course, the good Mr. Tony Bernazard...

I went to Shea last season to watch a Mets/Cubbies game (Cubs won) and every single person that I expected to see was injured on the Mets squad. THAT I think killed them last year. If they can stay healthy, they won't choke until at least the NLCS. I don't think, anyway :P

ShawnG
20 Mar 10,, 21:03
right now it's Cards > Cubs > Brewers > Astros > Reds > Pirates.

2 things--Did I see Tony Gwynn playing for San Diego in a Grapefruit League game the other day? Or am I seeing things???

And--The Pirates! I'm picking them like Sienna in March Madness--the sleeper that's going to take it all!

RollingWave
22 Mar 10,, 03:29
2 things--Did I see Tony Gwynn playing for San Diego in a Grapefruit League game the other day? Or am I seeing things???

And--The Pirates! I'm picking them like Sienna in March Madness--the sleeper that's going to take it all!

It's Tony Gwynn.... JUNIOR , time flys no? though little Gywnn doesn't have enough pop to be a very serious major leaguers. more like a fringe starter than a hall of fame hitter.

I suppose Pirates might suprise, but their rotation looks too sucky at this point even by NL central standards. if they could figure out some pitching they could be a real player down the road though.

Shek
22 Mar 10,, 04:37
I can't wait to see my Nationals.

Oh wait, maybe I'll have to check who the opposing team is so I can make sure that I'll see some good baseball. At least the stadium is nice and the W-L means that tickets will always be available :(

ShawnG
22 Mar 10,, 14:54
It's Tony Gwynn.... JUNIOR , time flys no?

Time does fly... I thought that same thing when I saw Prince Fielder.

ShawnG
22 Mar 10,, 14:58
I can't wait to see my Nationals.

I'll end up at a Nationals Game undoubtedly. The misses and I like going to baseball games. Last year we took a trip up to Shea Stadium to see the Mets. We'll try this year for the Phillies, Orioles, and Nationals.

RollingWave
25 Mar 10,, 04:39
Well they probably call up Stephan Strasburgh about mid to late May, so that's something you could root for.

Zad Fnark
25 Mar 10,, 12:09
I'm just hoping Milwaukee's starting pitching finally gets straightened out...

ZF-

Kilo 2-3
25 Mar 10,, 12:27
It's Tony Gwynn.... JUNIOR , time flys no? though little Gywnn doesn't have enough pop to be a very serious major leaguers. more like a fringe starter than a hall of fame hitter.

Junior's got one thing going for him though: speed, which is something the Padres desperately need right now. He also helps fill the gap Mike Cameron (who admittedly had some issue of his own) when he left in 2007.

The Padres are a young team right now, be interesting to see how they do.

ShawnG
25 Mar 10,, 13:48
Cleveland's in 2nd place in the Cactus League.

At least they can win something. :))

Fausto Carmona better come around since we dealt 2 Cy Young winners the last couple years.

bigross86
06 Apr 10,, 01:47
Well, I'm happy. Mets won and Yankees lost their first game. What more could I ask for?

ShawnG
12 Apr 10,, 14:44
I could ask for the Tribe to do a little more winning, and Perez to do a little less blown-saving. :mad:

bigross86
12 Apr 10,, 15:19
As usual, the Mets have gotten off to a rocky start, and are 2-4 at the bottom of the NL East. They lost 2 games to the Nationals, for crying out loud! I sure hope they're getting the last kinks out of their system and gear up for the rest of the season...

ShawnG
12 Apr 10,, 20:25
Well, fortunately for fans like you and me, there are 155 (give or take one) more games to go.

The Indians and Mets have no choice but to go 158-4 I guess. :biggrin:

bigross86
12 Apr 10,, 20:31
From your mouth to Bud's ears...

RollingWave
13 Apr 10,, 05:27
Well, I'm happy. Mets won and Yankees lost their first game. What more could I ask for? well that the Yanks doesn't win 4 outta the next 5 and the Mets vice versa ? :P

Indians could surprise if a few chips fall in the right place, they have a lot of talent over the last half decade but some really bad luck have prevented them from doing much except in 07.

Padres ... yeah they have a young team, the only problem is that everyone else in their division have a even BETTER young team. Tulowitzki / Kemp / Upton / Lincecum / Sandoval / Kreshaw / Jimenez etc... and the list is pretty damn long.

ShawnG
13 Apr 10,, 13:43
Lincecum is a magician. Best 14 year old pitcher I ever saw! :rolleyes:

bigross86
17 Apr 10,, 22:19
Wow. The Mets are 3-7. Even worse than the Nationals. Second to last place in the league, at least they're slightly better than Baltimore and Houston, but that's not saying much.

It's times like these that show who the real die hard fans are. Stick through thick and thin. Especially the thin...

ShawnG
18 Apr 10,, 16:54
Well now BR, 4-7 after that 20 inning game. Haha :))

The Tribe improved to 5-6! Yay! :rolleyes:

sappersgt
19 Apr 10,, 01:22
In theaters right now! A tale of the 1957 Little League World Series champions from Monterrey Mexico! Good baseball and LL movie. Some stilted acting and underdeveloped characters but still a good Sunday afternoon!:biggrin:

S2
19 Apr 10,, 02:07
Brewers pitching looks like sh!t...again.:mad: Worse T. Hoffman has finally gone in the tank and blown two closes with leads. Blown them in big ways too. Don't think we've had a single solid pitching performance from a starter or reliever yet.

Can't score 10 runs and win every time. Shouldn't score six runs and lose every time. Oh well. Football isn't far off.

bigross86
19 Apr 10,, 02:41
No, it's a while to football. And there as well, the Giants let us down last season. They could have been contenders, but they weren't...

Freeloader
20 Apr 10,, 04:44
Red Sox blow - 4-9 and 0-32 with RISP. The hitting is TERRIBLE right now.

Trade Cameron
Trade Bill Hall
START LOWELL

RollingWave
20 Apr 10,, 11:35
start Lowell where ? in the outfield?

having said that, it's strange to see the Yankees have a huge lead on the Red Sox in april, it's usually the other way around.

There's no real single point in Boston's suck right now though, almost everyone except Dusty is doing terrible, and defense / offense / pitching all suck so far.

I was in a chat room the other day and had this funny chat

Yankee fan A: they shoulda signed Jason Marquis instead of trade of Javier Vazquez

(look up score board, Marquis pitching, 0IP, 7 ER, 20+ ERA.)

bigross86
20 Apr 10,, 18:44
Things are looking up. We're now third last place in the league. Now we're kicking Baltimore, Houston AND the White Sox!!! Jeez, we're 2 games behind the Nationals. The Nationals!!!

This is all a dream and the Mets are gonna start playing real baseball soon, right?

ShawnG
21 Apr 10,, 21:00
Relax everyone... our teams are all just trying to make things interesting by falling behind out of the gate. But, I'm sorry, the Tribe will be WS champions. Someday.:rolleyes:

bigross86
21 Apr 10,, 22:22
Right. And the Mets are doing this to lull everyone into a sense of false security before they start playing real baseball and wipe the floor with the entire National League...

gunnut
21 Apr 10,, 22:50
There are 162 games in a season. The usual baseball fan panics after game 2 and demands for trades or fire the manager.

bigross86
22 Apr 10,, 00:05
I'm not demanding any trades, and I'm not calling for the good Messrs. Minaya or Manuel to be fired. I'm just severely disappointed in the team that I've been rooting for ever since I knew what baseball was. I was born in 1986 and grew up a 5 minute drive from Shea Stadium. I could never be anything aside from a Mets fan. I just want them to do what I know they can do.

The 2006 Mets played great baseball. The 2007 and 2008 Mets also played great ball, but choked at the end. The 2009 Mets were plagued by injuries, so I don't really count last season as the real Mets, but now that most the players are off the DL and back to playing, we should be seeing much more than the lackluster performance they've been showing until now.

YellowFever
22 Apr 10,, 00:29
Mets.

Bleh.

The Mets are to baseball what Chloe is to the Kardashian sisters. :tongue:

bigross86
22 Apr 10,, 00:36
I don't know who the Kardashian sisters are (should I consider myself lucky?) but the Mets are still my favorite team, and nothing we can do about that.

YellowFever
22 Apr 10,, 00:43
I don't know who the Kardashian sisters are (should I consider myself lucky?)

I'm sorry the Mets are your favorite team. :frown:

Kardashian sisters..guess which one is Chloe. :P

bigross86
22 Apr 10,, 00:45
I'm not sorry. Slightly disappointed in them (The Mets, not the sisters), but I'm always willing to forgive and forget, and besides, our relationship goes back a ways.

Umm, I'm guessing that she's either the tall one on the right, the one with the white in the middle, or the one in black on the left

YellowFever
22 Apr 10,, 00:46
Umm, I'm guessing that she's either the tall one on the right, the one with the white in the middle, or the one in black on the left

gross!

you're getting smarter! :eek:

bigross86
22 Apr 10,, 00:52
It's the course I'm taking, studying for my Psychometric exam.

I'll give you bonus points if you can solve this problem:

If: $(a,b)=2a+b

Solve:
$[$(4,3),$(1,8)]=?

Yup, that, or something similar to that, is going to be one of the questions on my exam. I finally came to terms with them tossing letters into the mix, and now they're putting in dollar signs as well. Assholes

YellowFever
22 Apr 10,, 00:57
It's the course I'm taking, studying for my Psychometric exam.

I'll give you bonus points if you can solve this problem:

If: $(a,b)=2a+b

Solve:
$[$(4,3),$(1,8)]=?

Yup, that, or something similar to that, is going to be one of the questions on my exam. I finally came to terms with them tossing letters into the mix, and now they're putting in dollar signs as well. Assholes

Hence your bi*ching about letters in algebra in the other thread. :(

I'm sorry, dude....I feel for you.

bigross86
22 Apr 10,, 01:02
That equation is going to Random Thread. I wanna see if there's someone here than can solve this. I already got the answer, but I think this should be fairly interesting

S2
22 Apr 10,, 19:20
Milwaukee has now had two consecutive solid performances by starters allowing zero earned runs over 12 innings. Maybe we've turned the corner there. Bullpen? Still up in the air.

Anyway Bush and Gallardo have breathed some life back into our rapidly waning hopes. Fielder STILL hasn't racked his first homer of the season. His contract expires after next season and there was talk that Boras, his agent, would try to push for $200m. I'm hoping for a monster year from him and then move him before the August deadline. We can't afford him later and can't afford not to get great production now. BIG hole in our lineup.

gunnut
22 Apr 10,, 20:25
I'm sorry the Mets are your favorite team. :frown:

Kardashian sisters..guess which one is Chloe. :P

There are 3 of them?:eek:

bigross86
22 Apr 10,, 22:15
Apparently. And I still don't know which one is Chloe!!!

YellowFever
22 Apr 10,, 22:29
Chloe is the one that married Lamar Odom.

Why are you so interested in her, anyways? :confused:

S2
22 Apr 10,, 22:33
Finished a road sweep of the Pirates with a 20-0 laugher. Yup. 20-0. That's two shutouts the last two games and 18 innings from our last three starters without an earned run.

Then again...it's the Pirates.:))

Oh yeah. Fielder finally got a tater.

ShawnG
27 Apr 10,, 14:46
8-11... c'mon Tribe.

The only bright spots are Shin Shoo Choo and Fausto Carmona.

WHERE YOU AT GRADY SIZEMORE???!!!

3 game set against Oakland last weekend--tribe got shut out twice 10-0 and 11-0. Might as well have been the Pirates.

bigross86
27 Apr 10,, 15:43
The Mets hit .500! Woot Woot!!!

ShawnG
27 Apr 10,, 17:52
Chloe is the one that married Lamar Odom.

Why are you so interested in her, anyways? :confused:

She's probably the only one I could stand to be around--the misses loves "Keeping up with the Kardashians" so inherently, I watch "Keeping up with the Kardashians". Khloe is funny as hell.

(They are all "K" names... Kim, Kourtney, and Khloe);)

bigross86
28 Apr 10,, 11:05
The Mets have won six straight, are 8-2 in their last 10 games, and replaced Philadelphia in first place in the NL East. This weekend's series against the Phillies is going to be interesting, an early season battle over the NL East. I'm liking it!

ShawnG
28 Apr 10,, 15:57
The Tribe got shut out 11-0 and 10-0 in two games of a 3-game set in Oakland. WOO HOO!

At least they won last night... if only we could see .500 again.

Mets are playing some good ball thanks to stellar pitching. I'm pulling for them! I was at Shea last season for a Mets/Cubbies game. The new stadium is pretty darn nice.

bigross86
28 Apr 10,, 23:55
Woot Woot!!! Swept the Dodgers!!!

bigross86
29 Apr 10,, 07:28
This guy is still University ball, but he needs to be drafted as soon as physically possible:

Fordham Baseball Player Brian Kownacki Believes He Can Fly

And after you watch this video, you're going to believe it too.

To set the scene, Fordham has come back from 9-4 down to tie Iona in the eighth inning of a game on Tuesday. They've got the bases loaded with two out when the Iona center fielder misplays a single to center and allows Brian Kownacki to try and score from first on the play. We'll let WFUV's Gregg Caserta pick up the call from there.

RW0bb2wxH5Y

That's how you cap off an eight-run rally! You get the feeling that Iona's manager argued the call just because he couldn't believe what he'd just seen and felt like something had to be hinky. Based on the video, though, there's no way the catcher tags him and it's hard to hold it against him.

It's hard to believe we'll see a better baseball play this year, but it's only April and we certainly hope that Kownacki's exhibition will inspire others to try and come up with something more memorable before the leaves start falling off the trees.

And, because it shouldn't get lost while watching Kownacki leap into our hearts, that's a great call by Caserta. It's not easy to watch something like that and keep on passing along information to your radio audience. Good job all around by the Fordham crew there during a well-earned 12-9 victory.

S2
29 Apr 10,, 07:42
I firmly believe that by the time you reach Legion or small-college baseball on up you've got a pretty good brand of ball to watch. Most of these kids can play the game. That throw is on the mark and they've nailed that kid. Nope.:biggrin:

The pitching might be the weak-point but, even there, you've plenty of guys that can bring it.

Fun stuff. Guess that made Sportscenter but it was the first I'd seen it. Pretty amazing play.:eek:

ShawnG
29 Apr 10,, 13:30
That definitely did make Sports Center about 2 weeks ago, it was the top play on plays of the week!

bigross86
29 Apr 10,, 15:10
Hell, you say great plays in the majors, like Jason Bay's somersault catch in the Mets-Dodgers game two days ago, or Pagan stealing home last week, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like what that kid did.

Good on him...

ShawnG
30 Apr 10,, 20:42
Baseball Mistakes (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5148731)

The Milwaukee Brewers' Mat Gamel singled to center field, but in his glee about getting another hit, he didn't notice that Minnesota Twins center fielder Carlos Gomez had missed the cutoff man on the throw to third base. Gomez's mistake should have placed runners at second and third, but Gamel's mistake kept the double play in order. After the inning, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire met Gomez in the dugout to explain his mistake. In the other dugout, Brewers manager Ken Macha met Gamel to explain his mistake. Dueling lectures in opposite dugouts. And, the worst part is, neither player likely had any idea he had done something wrong.

That took place on May 22, 2009, but it could have been almost any game, on any almost night, involving any number of young players. Mistakes in today's game are as common as 4-3 ground outs, and they're not always accompanied by consequence. It is the frequent refrain of veteran managers and instructors every day: Young players today are bigger, stronger, faster and more talented than ever, but some of them, if not a majority, don't know how to play the game.

Never was that more clear than Saturday, a day that normally would have set the game back 20 years, but sadly, that day has happened many times in the past 20 years. Here's what the Cincinnati Reds did: In the bottom of the third inning, pitcher Johnny Cueto, who was on first base, thought the third out had been made at first base, so he jogged around second and was tagged out halfway to third. In the next inning, baserunner Brandon Phillips was caught leaning off first by San Diego Padres pitcher Wade LeBlanc. The next inning, the same thing happened to the Reds' Jonny Gomes. The next inning, Reds center fielder Drew Stubbs forgot how many outs there were, and, after catching a fly ball for the second out of the sixth inning, threw the ball into the stands. Four straight innings, four mental errors. After the game, Dusty Baker, the Reds' old-school manager, closed the clubhouse door and screamed at his team.

Atlanta Braves manager Bobby Cox should have done the same that day in New York. In the fifth inning of their game against the new York Mets, the Braves had runners at second and third with one out in the fifth inning. Keep in mind, the Braves were (and are) having trouble scoring runs, so every base mattered to them. Troy Glaus hit a fly ball to deep right field. The runner on third, Yunel Escobar, forgot how many outs there were and ran home. Then, three-quarters of his way to the plate, he realized his error, and ran back to third. By then, Martin Prado, the runner at second was almost at third. He was tagged out for a double play, no run scored. All this happened on Chipper Jones' 38th birthday when all he wanted for his birthday was for Escobar, a great talent, to play the game properly for nine innings.

"Kids today aren't afraid because they don't take responsibility for their mistakes anymore,'' said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "I see that in the game every single day.''

Why is this happening? Granted, baseball is the hardest game in the world to play, so we can forgive 0-for-20 slumps, pitchers that miss location and rocket ground balls that aren't caught. But with so many gifted players, mental mistakes are inexcusable. Why are there so many?

The potential reasons are many. First, we are overcoaching our players from T-ball to the major leagues. God bless all amateur coaches for the time they spend with our kids, but our young players lack creativity and don't develop essential instincts for the game if they're being told how to do everything as soon as they put a glove on their hand. Many teenage kids have their own hitting or pitching coach, which is great, but the coach can't be there on the pitcher's mound or in the batter's box when it really counts.

Consequently, some of our young players become practice players, robotic in the mechanics of their pitching deliveries or their swings. They spend hours in the batting cages developing a beautiful hack and hours on the mound refining their exquisite motion, but sometimes at the expense of learning base-running and defense and all the intangibles that make a great all-around player. One scout said he could fill a 50,000-seat stadium with young pitchers in America that throw 95 mph, but he has trouble finding young pitchers that have a plus breaking ball and a good feel for pitching. When left-hander Brien Taylor, the No. 1 pick in the draft in 1990, reported to the New York Yankees for his first spring training as a professional player, he did not know how to make the pickoff throw to second base using the inside move. That would be like LeBron James signing with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and not being able to shoot a reverse layup with his left hand.

The desire by teams to win and make money, and to justify huge investments in young players, is also at the root of the problem. When a player is a high draft pick, the organization might rush that kid to the major leagues ahead of his time because of what they paid him to sign. There was once a day when a player needed 2,000 at-bats or 500 innings in the minor leagues before being brought to the major leagues. Now they are arriving much quicker. Owners have been increasingly impatient. They want to bring that kid to the big leagues -- see the Reds' Aroldis Chapman -- in order to win sooner and sell tickets.

“Kids today aren't afraid because they don't take responsibility for their mistakes anymore. I see that in the game every single day.”
-- Rangers manager Ron Washington

The money has changed everything. When a player signs that first big contract, say for $5 million a year, he thinks he's a good player because he makes $5 million a year. When, in reality, sometimes he is a player with great ability and talent, but doesn't understand the subtleties of the game needed to be a great player. Once a player is guaranteed $60 million over five years, maybe he starts to think that, given the financial security, he doesn't have to try as hard to improve. With money comes a sense of entitlement, something too many young guys have today. It is partly the fault of the baseball system for giving a player the money, and then not demanding more of that player.

To be fair, this doesn't include all young players. Meet David Wright, Justin Verlander, Gordon Beckham, Evan Longoria, Jason Heyward, Stephen Strasburg and many others, and you realize immediately these guys get it. And when you get it at an early age, you always have it. But too many of our young players don't get it, and will never get it.

How else can you explain that several years ago, the starting catcher on a major league team asked his manager 90 minutes before a game, "Who is pitching tonight?'' The manager said, incredulously, "Clemens.'' And the catcher said, "No, who is pitching for us?'' How can you explain another starting catcher in the major leagues who -- I am not making this up -- when told by his manager to make sure the pitcher worked from the stretch with the bases loaded, asked, "Is that when one shoulder is facing me, or two?''

When pitcher Daniel Cabrera took ground balls during a drill in his first major league camp, he attempted to catch a grounder with his glove down -- smothering the ball -- instead of his glove open and up? How can that happen?

How also can a manager put a squeeze play on, but before the play happened the other team changed pitchers. On the first pitch the new pitcher threw, the baserunner on third base ran home and was tagged out because the pitcher threw a ball way outside of the strike zone attempting to intentionally walk the batter. The baserunner's excuse was that the squeeze sign wasn't taken off. What?

Two years ago, in a playoff game, a catcher and pitcher changed the sign during a visit to the mound in the sixth inning. We knew the sign was changed because the catcher never put a sign down when he went back behind the plate. And yet, no infielder ran to the mound and asked what pitch might be coming … in a critical spot in a playoff game! In every game Cal Ripken ever played in the major leagues, in every game that Ryne Sandberg ever played, they knew what pitch was coming, and the location of the pitch. And every pitch, Sandberg would signal to the first baseman what pitch was coming, and what location. Middle infielders today across the major leagues aren't always sure what is coming, and what location. Why not? Because some of them are so quick and so skilled, they think they're going to get to that ball over the second-base bag anyway, they don't need to cheat a step. But sometimes, they don't get to that ball, and it costs their team a run, and a game.

This is what you hear every day in every stop you make in every clubhouse. Maybe they are a bunch of older players and coaches and managers who are jealous of the money and the fame given to today's young players. Maybe they are a bunch of old guys who are angry that today's young players don't have to put in the same time or the same effort to play -- and to thrive -- in the major leagues. Maybe that's true. But when you watch games like Saturday's in Cincinnati and New York, and you see talented players making mistakes that fifth graders shouldn't make, it makes you wonder. And, at times, it makes you worry.

bigross86
01 May 10,, 00:34
The Mets game last week where Pagan stole home is a brilliant example of this. (I think it was) Francuer popped into an infield fly with runners on second third. The infields muffed the catch, but the catcher and the infielder who picked up the ball and started walking over to first. Third base coach whispered to Pagan, and off we went towards home. They noticed it, but the catcher was all the way by first. The pitcher covered the plate, but it was too late and Pagan scored.

RollingWave
19 May 10,, 11:11
I'm a yankee fan and all, but these Yankee Sox games are becomming unwatchable, every game is a 4+ hour slug fest, both side are so damn patient that the opposing team's pitchers will sooner or later melt down and either walk the park or get blasted into bits and pieces. you might as well just turn on to watch the last few innings (which would be like 10 pm, you turn it on and it's still the 7th inning heh)

bigross86
06 Jul 10,, 12:54
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CIN@NYM: Manuel ejected as umps overturn a call - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9694157)

More terrible refereeing, and I'm not only saying this because the call went against the Mets.

Despite the original bad call of the home plate Ref, how the hell can someone that was 100 feet away tell if the ball grazed his arm or the bat? Overturning the call was an ever worse decision.

Baseball is a game that is full of video replay, anyway, how hard would it be to harness that towards fair play? I mean, it's not like the game is that fast paced, is it?

ShawnG
26 Oct 10,, 21:38
I will have you know that I definitely called a Texas/San Francisco World Series--although I was wrong with the details. I called Texas over NY in the ALCS in 6, but I thought it would take 7 for the Giants to beat the Phils.

Since the NYY aren't in it, it'll be worth watching without wanting to vomit! Money doesn't buy everything... Hip Hip Jorge.

ShawnG
28 Oct 10,, 14:40
Cliff Lee and Tim Lincecum... Expected Final: 1-0 in 11 innings, actual final: 11-7. WTF?

bigross86
28 Oct 10,, 14:46
Well, they got the "11" part right...

ShawnG
28 Oct 10,, 15:05
As a perpetually disappointed Tribe fan, I always wish well for Cliff Lee. He was just off last night for some reason. The Giants aren't really a great hitting team either! Lee shut down the 1 billion dollar Yankees!

cdude
28 Oct 10,, 16:04
Anybody saw Barry Bonds in the attendance last night?

He has a normal sized head now...

ShawnG
02 Nov 10,, 16:09
I thought Texas could have won this Series--I underestimated the pitching staff of SF though. I knew they were good, but had no idea they were that good. Especially picking up 2 wins against Cliff Lee.