Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Recalls its Ambassador from Israel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey Recalls its Ambassador from Israel?

Is this true? I thought all diplomatic niceties have been exchanged and the whole thing would just blow away.

Turkey is withdrawing its ambassador from Israel because of a worsening diplomatic row that began with a television drama.

Relations between the countries have soured since Israel's bombardment of the Gaza Strip a year ago.

Now Israel had taken offence at a Turkish TV show that portrayed Israeli military officers as baby snatchers.

Israel's deputy foreign minister Danny Ayalon called in the Turkish ambassador for a reprimand, but enraged Turkey by making him sit on a couch lower than his, removing a Turkish flag from the table, and allowing Israeli TV cameras to film it all.

Turkey demanded a full apology. Mr Ayalon issued a statement of regret, but Turkey said it was inadequate.

Israeli media say Turkey has now recalled its ambassador.

There is no word on whether he'll return.

Middle East correspondent Anne Barker
    Link

Israel apologised for that, so thing will be normalise i hope...
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Israel's deputy foreign minister Danny Ayalon called in the Turkish ambassador for a reprimand, but enraged Turkey by making him sit on a couch lower than his, removing a Turkish flag from the table, and allowing Israeli TV cameras to film it all.
      And Ayalon said to cameras in Hebrew that he wants they see Turkish ambassador sits below them and there is only one flag on the table.

Turkish ambassador stay in Israel for now after Ayalon's apology.

Comment

“Unless they make up for it by this evening, our ambassador will return on the first plane tomorrow,” said Abdullah Gul, the Turkish president.

Mr Ayalon issued a statement in which he promised to observe the expected niceties in future. “My protest against the attacks on Israel in Turkey remains valid,” he said, referring to the television drama, The Valley of the Wolves. “Nevertheless,” the statement continued, “it is not my way to disrespect ambassadors’ honour and in future I will clarify my position in a diplomatically acceptable manner.”

But Turkey rejected the statement and demanded an apology. Relations between the two countries have soured since Israel’s offensive in the Gaza Strip last year, of which Turkey was heavily critical.

Last night Israel bowed to Ankara’s ultimatum and issued an apology in the form of a formal letter to Turkey.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish prime minister, said Ankara had received the apology it “wanted and expected”.

Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, rebuked his foreign ministry over their handling of the incident and said in a statement that he hoped the matter was now resolved.
        Sofa provokes diplomatic row between Israel and Turkey - Telegraph

The problems seems to be solved, yet unfortunately the rift between Israel and Turkey continues to grow against the benefit of both sides I fear.

Comment

Now Israel had taken offence at a Turkish TV show that portrayed Israeli military officers as baby snatchers.

Never heard of artistic freedom did they?

Shameful behavior, and to do this to a friendly nation? Pathetic.

Comment

Working...
          X