Kerry Heading to Tehran?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Heading to Tehran?

Recent reports both in the American and Middle Eastern media have had stories about Massachusetts Senior Senator and former Presidential candidate John Kerry(D-MA), planning a potential visit to Iran. In order to meet with Iranian government officials for talks as part of the Obama Administration's plan of reapproachment towards Iran over the nuclear issue. I personally don't think this is a good policy to be put forth by Senator Kerry, nor should it be encouraged by the Obama Administration. Especially given the language used by the current government in Tehran, combined with the fact that it rigged an election last June and has been brutally oppressing any opposition to it since. So sending a prominent American politician, would be the last type of message that needs to be sent to Tehran in my opinion.

Here is an article on this issue from the Boston Globe,

Report says Kerry might be headed to Tehran - Political Intelligence - A national political and campaign blog from The Boston Globe - Boston.com

Any more opinions on a possible Kerry visit to Tehran, or the current Administration's reapproachment with the Iranian government?
    Last edited by Kevin Brown; 01 Jan 10,, 22:59.

Kevin:

The news article is out of date.

Kerry has since sent a formal request to Iran seeking permission for a visit. Since he's a legislator, his request is being handled by the Iranian parliament.

Such a visit by the head of a committee with foreign affairs oversight is not unusual, although in this case it will likely be viewed by the Iranians as a feeler for a possible meeting between heads of state.

The reaction of experts to the visit is generally negative.

If he can make some headway on the nuke issue, more power to him. But so far it seems Obama is acting from weakness, namely his inability so far to get Iran to the table. I don't see a major breakthrough coming of it.

NB: Are you still in high school?
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
      Kevin:

The news article is out of date.

Kerry has since sent a formal request to Iran seeking permission for a visit. Since he's a legislator, his request is being handled by the Iranian parliament.

Such a visit by the head of a committee with foreign affairs oversight is not unusual, although in this case it will likely be viewed by the Iranians as a feeler for a possible meeting between heads of state.

The reaction of experts to the visit is generally negative.

If he can make some headway on the nuke issue, more power to him. But so far it seems Obama is acting from weakness, namely his inability so far to get Iran to the table. I don't see a major breakthrough coming of it.

NB: Are you still in high school?
      Sorry about the news article being out of date, my bad on that.

Also to address your question I'm currently a freshman in college, however I was in high school when I joined World Affairs Board.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post

JAD,

Me thinks you need to qualify that more, because the Administration has had high level talks in Switzerland with the Iranians. Those have turned out to be immaterial (re processing for medical purposes)

Maybe I am taking it the wrong way - and with deference, I don't see how anyone could possibly care on the perception on perhaps acting from weakness, when you are the CIC of the worlds most powerful military, and do have the stomach to commit troops when needed. I see it like this: he has written two official letters to Iran, and he has publicly stated numerous times that the diplomatic hand is not open for eternity. I don't see that as weakness, I see that as agenda setting. Esp. when the guy is getting intel reports on likely Iranian capability.
        Last edited by Chunder; 02 Jan 10,, 02:34.
        Ego Numquam

Comment

Working...
        X