Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama running back Mark Ingram wins the Heisman Trophy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama running back Mark Ingram wins the Heisman Trophy.

Alabama running back Mark Ingram wins the Heisman Trophy. :)

It's breaking news on CNN, so I don't have a story or a link yet.

Damn, I was sure it was going to be Barak Obama.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      Damn, I was sure it was going to be Barak Obama.
      No, you can't win them all. :))

Here's the story:

The closest race in Heisman history ended much like most of Mark Ingram's season. Try as they might, no one could quite bring down Alabama's power back.

The 5-foot-10, 215-pound Crimson Tide running back that no one could quite seem to knock off his feet this season, finished off another run Saturday night with the first Heisman trophy in Alabama school history.

"I"m a little overwhelmed right now," Ingram said as he accepted the award. "It's a great honor to be here, to be a member of the Heisman fraternity. I'm so excited to bring Alabama its first Heisman winner."

Overcome by emotion, Ingram thanked his family and teammates, as well as his coaches, shedding tears like he shed blockers most of the season.

"Everybody in Alabama has had my back, supporting me. When I'm walking to class, students flash the Heisman pose. People in Flint (his hometown of Flint, Mich.) telling me I'm a winner, that meant so much."

Ingram carried the Tide all the way to the nation's No. 1 ranking and a berth in the BCS national championship game. Ingram rushed for 99 or more yards in eight of his last nine games, totaled 1,542 total yards and 15 rushing touchdowns. He also caught for 322 yards and three touchdowns.

Ingram's candidacy was declared dead after he rushed for just 30 yards in Alabama's regular season finale against Auburn, but the sophomore's 113 yards and three touchdowns in the SEC championship game must have been enough.

Ingram admitted to ESPN's Chris Folwer that his Iron Bowl effort did make him worry about his Heisman hopes, but he was more concerned that the Tide kept rolling.

"It was in the back of my head, but most important thing to me was we got that win," he said. "I didn't have best game ever but contributed in different way.

"I'm so proud of all my teammates. We've had a great season."

Ingram's victory, by 28 points, was the narrowest in the history of the Heisman voting, edging out Bo Jackson's 1985 win for the closest ever.

Stanford's Toby Gerhart finished second, though Gerhart did beat Ingram for the Doak Walker award earlier in the week.

The third consecutive sophomore to win the award -- and third overall -- Ingram knocked off several other candidates with historic agendas.

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamakong Suh would have been the first purely defensive player to win in the award's history. Michigan's Charles Woodson won the award in 1997, but also returned punts and lined up at wide receiver. Suh made the best closing argument of all the finalists, registering 4.5 sacks in a Big 12 championship loss to Texas. He led the Huskers in tackles for a second straight season, with 82, an unlikely feat for a defensive lineman, and even broke up 10 passes, second on the team.

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, meanwhile, failed in his second attempt to become the second two-time Heisman winner. Tebow won the award in 2007 and was a finalist last year, finishing third behind McCoy and Oklahoma's Sam Bradford. Tebow, however, did become the first player to attend three straight Heisman ceremonies since Georgia's Herschel Walker.

Texas' Colt McCoy was a favorite of several Heisman predictors, but like Tebow, knowing his way around the stage didn't bring him the award. McCoy lost for the second straight season, though he leaves Texas as the winningest quarterback in college football history. McCoy wasn't as statistically dominant as a season ago, however. He completed 70.5 percent of his passes for 3512 and 27 touchdowns against 12 interceptions in 2009. McCoy will play for the national championship Jan. 7.

Toby Gerhart was the most surprising of the bunch relative to preseason expectations. A second-team all-Pac-10 running back last season, Gerhart exploded for 1,736 yards and a nation's-best 26 rushing touchdowns. The senior led all BCS conference players in rushing and finished second in the nation, behind only Fresno State's Ryan Mathews. Gerhart emerged as a serious candidate after rushing for 200 yards in a win over Washington in late September, then cemented his candidacy with 176 yards in Stanford's upset of Southern California. He finished his season with 205 yards and four touchdowns against Notre Dame.

Mark Ingram Wins 2009 Heisman Trophy -- NCAAFB FanHouse

Comment

Yo! First Heisman in Bama history, as far as I know.

Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Prof View Post
          Yo! First Heisman in Bama history, as far as I know.

Prof
          Yep, I believe you are correct. I think this guy is an awesome athlete. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
            O yeah, but it's gotta be more than that. I jest feeeel that Saban's a'channelin' The Bear, O my brothers & sisters, The Bear!

Prof

Comment

Ms. Julie:

& now there's more. Six AP first-team All-American picks, & 2 were consensus! Historical. I doubt if anyone's suggesting firing Saban anytime soon. BearBearBear! The old Coke & Lays checkered-hat dude has got to be smiling somewhere. Almost enough to make me religious. :))

Prof

Comment

OK. I'm a Tide enthusiast. It can be taken too far, however. This describes an actual B'ham News report written by a couple of local reporters. It's not April 1. I checked. Headline:

Your Honor, it's the big game!

Seems that the defense team, in a wrongful death liability lawsuit that has been 4 years getting to trial, has asked for a continuance so that they can go to Pasedena to see the championship game. The written motion ends with, "Roll Tide!!" Circuit Judge Dan King (an Auburn grad) says he plans to allow it. Typical of The News, the article says at its beginning that the continuance is for 4 quarters (or maybe that means something other than a year in legalese?) but later quotes King as saying that it would delay the trial for "a month or two..." Evidently the plaintiff's team has appealed informally to the presiding judge of the circuit, Scott Vowell, along with filing an opposing motion, but Vowell (also an Auburn graduate) said that the Defense motion was "...refreshingly honest..." & evidently doesn't plan to rein in his colleague. The plaintiffs had been previously granted a continuance so that they could go on a pre-scheduled vacation, so fair is fair, & since both judges are Auburn fans the appearance of judicial propriety is preserved.

In all deference to my late father, Q: what's the difference between a catfish & a lawyer? A: One's a scum-sucking bottom dweller while the other is a fish.

Only in Alabama. :P

Prof

Comment

Nine days to go. Tick, tock. Goddam Bama 5 point edge. Haven't found but one Hornswoggling sucker in this neck of the woods. Maybe Ingram will sprain a pinkie or something. Get back to a standard 'Bama-behind line & make some money!

Prof

Comment

Auburn won its game yesterday by 3 points in OT, for some reason. I mean, bad weather, but possibly the clumsiest football game in the history of the school. Hangovers? Ah, weel, 5 to go.

Prof

Comment

Tomorrow's the die.
                      Tomorrow's the hour.
                      See the front of battle lour...

Tomorrow's probably a really good TV night & Mary's gonna kill me.

Prof

Comment

Auburn won its game yesterday by 3 points in OT, for some reason. I mean, bad weather, but possibly the clumsiest football game in the history of the school. Hangovers? Ah, weel, 5 to go.

Prof
                        I seen that. I've noticed other games look like that lately, amateurish, or either they act like they could care less. Who knows.

Comment

Tomorrow's the die.
                          Tomorrow's the hour.

Prof
                          :)):))

Comment

Originally Posted by Prof:
                            Tomorrow's the die.
                            Tomorrow's the hour.

Prof

:)):))

See approach proud Mack Brown's pow'r,
                            Chains & whatever rhymes with (without the K).

Prof

Comment

Working...
                            X