• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US to play England first in 2010 World Cup

U.S. to play England first at 2010 World Cup - Soccer- nbcsports.msnbc.com

U.S. to play England first at 2010 World Cup

Donovan to battle L.A. Galaxy teammate Beckham in 32-team tourney

updated 7 minutes ago

CAPE TOWN, South Africa - The United States will play England in its opener at next year’s World Cup.

The teams will meet in Rustenburg on June 12, their first World Cup matchup since the Americans’ 1-0 upset victory at the 1950 tournament in Brazil.

Mexico was drawn Friday to meet South Africa in the tournament opener on June 11 in Johannesburg.

The eyes of the soccer world were focused on Cape Town, with fans of 32 competing nations hoping for a kind draw at next year's World Cup.

Coaches, former soccer stars and celebrities were gathering for a draw ceremony to decide the eight groups of four teams.

Oscar-winning movie star Charlize Theron will help FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke in a lavish ceremony due to start at noon ET.

Defending champion Italy, five-time winner Brazil and European champion Spain will be looking to avoid the sort of draw that makes it tough to get through the group phase. Teams from New Zealand to Mexico, Chile to North Korea, Slovakia to host South Africa will hope those conducting the draw will give them a chance of a place in the knockout phase.

The 32 nations in the draw have been split geographically into four pots which will eventually produce eight groups of four teams.

South Africa, as host, has been given one of the seeded positions along with Italy, Brazil, Spain, England, Germany, Netherlands and Argentina.

"Expectations are very high and this is the start of the World Cup for me and the other coaches involved," said South Africa coach Carlos Alberto Parreira, who led his native Brazil to the 1994 title and has coached at three other World Cups. "I have been involved in World Cup draws before. As Brazil's national coach, expectations were just as high but this one is extra special because we are the World Cup hosts."

The other three South American teams — Paraguay, Chile and two-time World Cup winner Uruguay — are also in the same pool so they can't meet in the first round. The same applies to the four Asian qualifiers, North Korea, South Korea, Japan and Australia. and Africa's other qualifiers, Nigeria, Ghana, Algeria, Ivory Coast and Cameroon.

The 13 European teams in the competition can't avoid each other altogether, but there can't be more than two in any group.

The second band of European teams — France, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Denmark, Switzerland, Greece and Serbia — are in the same pool. That has angered the French, who felt they should have been seeded after winning the title in 1998 and reaching the final four years ago.

Because France is in the European pot, there could be a repeat of the 2006 World Cup final in the group stage, with Italy possibly meeting the French.

2010 World Cup draw
    Lovgren: Africans mad about soccer, but Europe's their goal
    Global soccer fans await World Cup draw
    U.S. nervously awaits Friday's draw | Brazil, Spain favored

With the draw ceremony for the June 11-July 11 championship taking place and hundreds of delegates and officials from around the world gathering in Cape Town, the bidding nations for the World Cups in 2018 and 2022 are also taking the opportunity to impress observers.

David Beckham is one of the leading figures backing England's bid. But the 1966 hosts face opposition from the United States, Australia, Russia, Japan, Qatar, Indonesia, South Korea and joint bids from Spain-Portugal and Netherlands-Belgium.
    I have no idea what this means, but it sounds important.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Bring it, England! Not a bad draw at all. Algeria and Slovenia won't be easy, but we've definitely got a chance to get out of the group.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

I don,t want to rain on your parade,but....the fact still remains. Over 90% of North Americans,myself included, would rather watch water evaporate then take in a game of soccer. With the amount of diving and whine it shoulfd be a water sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Exarecr View Post
        I don,t want to rain on your parade,but....the fact still remains. Over 90% of North Americans,myself included, would rather watch water evaporate then take in a game of soccer. With the amount of diving and whine it shoulfd be a water sport.
        It's never been about the game, which as you point out is as boring as watching paint dry (waterbased)

It's always been about what goes on in the stands

Last edited by Parihaka; 05 Dec 09,, 20:27.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

BAhh,ignorant Americans that cannot understand the beauty of real FOOTBALL-not the chaotic brawl you call such.

p.s Personally I'd rather go on a hike than watch that thug fest-but the continent's honor must be defended.
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Soccer is a slower, less violent, and warmer version of hockey.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Exarecr View Post
              I don,t want to rain on your parade,but....the fact still remains. Over 90% of North Americans,myself included, would rather watch water evaporate then take in a game of soccer.:
              That's your loss, not ours ;)

For those North American's who do love Soccer its a good draw with a realistic chance of progression from the first stage :)

Comment

I always said the the yanks will win the world cup before us poms do again , but yer gonna get yer arses kicked this time around boyos i notice the gal behind the one with allashowing is having a drooling glimpse

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdj2zbMIOqU

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    No, hockey's actually watchable and there's a good chance that spectators actually survive in hockey. :))

Comment

For the record I play soccer at my univ.

Comment

Anyway this reassures high ESPN coverage.
                        夫唯不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          No doubt we Indians like to play hockey, but have failed to teach the Brits who still love watching 11 buggers running after a single ball in a frenzy.:))
                          sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

[QUOTE=tinymarae;700178]

Handeggball is fine.... whatever. But the description of this photo should be:

"In this corner - Man with no arm muscles. His opponent - the Crushinator. Have at it gents."

Hmm, who would win? ;)

Comment

if he is so tough why does he need all that armor for? Full Plate armor came out of style quite a few centuries ago over here.

Comment

Working...
                              X