Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie camel cull plan offends Brits

Aussie camel cull plan offends Brits

UK residents outraged by plans to cull some 6,000 camels are warning other Europeans against visiting Australia.

Online discussion forums, which describe Australia as a third world country, have been running hot since it was revealed last week that residents in a small central Australian community were being held hostage by a herd of thirsty, marauding camels.

The Northern Territory government announced last week it would conduct an emergency cull of some 6,000 feral camels at a cost of $49,000.

NT Local Government Minister Rob Knight has since received hate mail from around the world.

Docker River, 500km south west of Alice Springs, has been inundated by thousands of wild camels in recent weeks.

As well as smashing water infrastructure in their hunt for moisture, the quality of drinking water in the town is being threatened by the decaying bodies of camels that have been trampled by their herd.

The UK Times Online last week posted a story about the camel siege, which prompted an influx of public comment.

One blogger suggested spending the $49,000 to build a water hole for the camels, rather than herding them out of town by helicopter to slaughter them.

"The animals that live here alongside us deserve respect and if we can help them live, what is so wrong with that?" K Jordon wrote.

Many comments state that Australia is not worthy of G20 status, while others claim Australians have a chip on their shoulder.

"Please tell all your friends that Australia is the worst nation on earth and they should stay away," William Burt wrote.

"Yet further evidence, if any were needed, that Australia is a third world country with a standard of living markedly below even the worst in Europe," John Spurway said.

One person from Germany wrote to Mr Knight last week, saying he was "outraged and shocked" by the government's plan.

"So 6,000 innocent, gentle creatures have to die for only 350 humans?" he wrote.

"To me, these creatures have the same right to live under God's sun and drink his water as any other, including the human species."

The comments mirrored similar attacks made on US television earlier this year, calling Prime Minister Kevin Rudd a "serial killer" for culling camels in remote Australia.

The talk show host called the cull "genocide" and used a stuffed camel toy to demonstrate how the animals would be killed.

Despite the backlash, not all correspondence to Mr Knight has been critical of the decision to cull.

One man from Tanzania said he was an "avid large game hunter".

"I would be more than happy to volunteer my time and knowledge for the culling effort to assist your area," he wrote.

A national draft Feral Camel Action Plan to take action to reduce the number of camels across central Australia has been released, giving members of the public a chance to have their say.

Submissions to the federal government close on January 30, 2010.

There are about one million feral camels throughout Australia, with numbers doubling every eight or nine years.
    Have fun with that guys. Like the article says the numbers are doubling every few years. Because of that, they send out guys on choppers with rifles to keep the numbers down.

I have no objection to these concerned citizens taking as many camels as they like from Australia to a nation of their choice - at their own expense of course. While they are at it they can have a few other remnants of British rule - rabbits, foxes, sparrows, water hyacinth & the monarchy.

Wonder how many people died premature deaths in the Congo this month.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      Wonder how many people died premature deaths in the Congo this month.
      I wonder the same thing.

This comment: "Yet further evidence, if any were needed, that Australia is a third world country with a standard of living markedly below even the worst in Europe," John Spurway said.

especially made me laugh.

Comment

I have no objection to these concerned citizens taking as many camels as they like from Australia to a nation of their choice - at their own expense of course. While they are at it they can have a few other remnants of British rule - rabbits, foxes, sparrows, water hyacinth & the monarchy.
        :)) Lets start an 'Adopt A Camel' business.Basically 'give us yer money or the camel gets it', but with market savvy.
        Photos of the camel on a reserve getting cared for by catholic nuns and/or buddhist monks and/or indigenous peoples. An accompanying letter saying 'dear sponsor, thank you so much for keeping me alive, today the nuns brought me a new feedbag with your name embroidered on it.
        Love Humphry

Whaddya think?:)
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          :)) Lets start an 'Adopt A Camel' business.Basically 'give us yer money or the camel gets it', but with market savvy.
          Photos of the camel on a reserve getting cared for by catholic nuns and/or buddhist monks and/or indigenous peoples. An accompanying letter saying 'dear sponsor, thank you so much for keeping me alive, today the nuns brought me a new feedbag with your name embroidered on it.
          Love Humphry

I'd rather eat Humphry cos Humphry and his mates are rather tatsy,,,,stoke up the barbie. :)

Cheers.

Comment

Love Humphry

Sign me up Pari!!

I imagine you can produce a suitably emotive video for the campaign - a few slow motion shots of running & then dying camels with suitably emotive music. Then something 'hopeful' with shots of happy camels (whatever that looks like) being tended to by the aforementioned indigenous or religious types.

I'm pretty sure Chunder has contacts in outback SA & GF's family have a huge station in the Northern Territory - all camel country. I work for one of the larger market research companies in the world with huge presence in Europe & Nth America. We can sound out the suckers...er, I mean market.

Sound like a plan?
            sigpic

Comment

I was thinking something easier... If I could get a old stump muncher and truck the council contractors use to mince street trees and put camels in them I could make a fair bit of money from blood and bone - thats 30 dollars a 15 kg bag. 5000 camels, (consider there is a 1,000,000 est. in Aust)...

Do the maths.

I can provide you with a video of a cruel australian mincing camels, we'll post it on every damn board we can find as third world conditions, we'll get UN Save the planet funding. You make money, I make money, the community makes money its win win win. At present the only people making money are the ones catching them and sending them to race in Saudi Arabia... Mince them!

Edit
              Err, I realise that sounded bad comming from an South Australian, when I ended with mince them, I meant the camels... not the blighters sending them off to Saudi.
              Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                Edit
                Err, I realise that sounded bad comming from an South Australian, when I ended with mince them, I meant the camels... not the blighters sending them off to Saudi.
                Yes. Best not to reinforce stereotypes.:)
                sigpic

Comment

Sign me up Pari!!

I imagine you can produce a suitably emotive video for the campaign - a few slow motion shots of running & then dying camels with suitably emotive music. Then something 'hopeful' with shots of happy camels (whatever that looks like) being tended to by the aforementioned indigenous or religious types.

I'm pretty sure Chunder has contacts in outback SA & GF's family have a huge station in the Northern Territory - all camel country. I work for one of the larger market research companies in the world with huge presence in Europe & Nth America. We can sound out the suckers...er, I mean market.

Sound like a plan?
                  Damn straight, here's the storyboard

We could use Chunder and Captain as the
                  "Evil Aussies that Must Be Stopped!"

Cue shoots of crying mummies and kiddies in front of TV

SEND MONEY NOW, JUST A POUND A DAY

then....

cue swelling music.....

SEND MONEY NOW, JUST A POUND A DAY,
                  ALL CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED

JUST CALL 0800SAVEACAMEL

Calls cost $10 a minute, minutes rounded up
                  Last edited by Parihaka; 02 Dec 09,, 10:08.
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

You have WAY too much spare time!!

(do you have any idea how hard it is to type when your body is wracked with laughter)

The scary thing is that this is way more credible than the phrase 'Prime Minister Tony Abbott'. At least Winston Peters only got a ministry. We are through the looking glass on this side of the ditch mate. Somehow threatening camels to screw money out of Europeans doesn't seem nearly so bizarre now.
                    sigpic

Comment

JUST CALL 0800SAVEACAMEL[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Calls cost $10 a minute, minutes rounded up
                      I am in on this, calls will be re-routed to a call centre in Pb., I can round up as many English speaking chaps as needed at 50AUD a month each, my cut is negotiable, I can also get extremely cheap lawyers (there can be a clause stating all disputes will be addressed in jurisdiction of Jal. Distt. and Sessions Court only, I know the judge, his cut can be negotiated as well), the cases routinely take around two decades to be decided so we should have a nice head start there.
                      When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

The scary thing is that this is way more credible than the phrase 'Prime Minister Tony Abbott'. At least Winston Peters only got a ministry. We are through the looking glass on this side of the ditch mate. Somehow threatening camels to screw money out of Europeans doesn't seem nearly so bizarre now.

Don't let them know that Tony Abbot isn't credible...

Remember the Howard Intervention?

The LIBERALS, THEYRE BACK!

STARRING TONY ABBOTT

in...

THE FINAL INTERVENTION

A Story about an oppressed flock.

This young camel, ralph lost his parents at the start of the intervention.

Stop Abbott, to save a camel like ralph please donate.
                        Last edited by Chunder; 02 Dec 09,, 11:37. Reason: damn hotlinking blew up on me, i need a photobucket account...going to go get one rightnow.
                        Ego Numquam

Comment

why do they have to helicopter them out?

$48K sounds like a hell of a lot to kill a bunch of camels

Comment

Originally posted by zara View Post
                            why do they have to helicopter them out?

$48K sounds like a hell of a lot to kill a bunch of camels
                            Zara,

The choppers are being used to herd them. This is actually not unusual on the bigger cattle stations in Nth Australia, which can be many thousands of km Square (the biggest is 24,000 sq km). Herding cattle from the air is sometimes the easiest way to do it on the more distant parts of these places.

The camels are being herded out of town so the bodies don't contaminate the water supply. They will most likely be shot from the air. The guys doing this are probably pros. Australia has a LOT of feral species, some of which are easier to shoot from the air - I know it happens (or has happened) with water buffalo & wild horses. There may be others. (Chunder or Captain may know more about this type of thing. Long way from home for me).

The cost doesn't sound that high to me. Take into account hiring choppers & professional shooters for however long it takes & it soon adds up. I guess they could just let the local yahoos hunt the camels down in 4WDs, but I'm betting that would cause a great deal more distress to the camels.
                            sigpic

Comment

Chunder Reply

Cunder, loving your work. I sense untapped potential. ;)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X