Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting full articles?

I have a questions for the powers that be:

Many poeple here (including me) often quote full articles from other Sites, newspapers or magazines. In many other forum such is not allowed due fear of copyright violations. Instead usually only the start of the article is quotet and the rest is linked.

So my questions is can we continue to quote full articles? Or should be a more carefule approach be used when it comes to possible copyrighted content?

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post

Many poeple here (including me) often quote full articles from other Sites, newspapers or magazines. In many other forum such is not allowed due fear of copyright violations. Instead usually only the start of the article is quotet and the rest is linked.

So my questions is can we continue to quote full articles? Or should be a more carefule approach be used when it comes to possible copyrighted content?
    ..thanks Tarek...i never imagined the posting full articles is copyright violation....!

Comment

Copyright violation?

Hmm. You do have a point. Although, most online newspapers have printable versions of their most recent articles.

Also, a few of the articles I put up tend to be too long to read in one sitting. I usually include the link as a source so no one thinks that the article is mine. Also, the photos and other material that accompany the OA are at the original website.

Maybe the original publishers make money from every hit they get on any one of their articles. However, I wonder if we receive enough hits here to erode the profits made by the original publisher. If so, then perhaps we should restrain ourselves to publishing only the first few sentences of the article and providing a link to the rest.

Comment

They, in my opinion, fall within the provisions of the Fair Use Provision, and I don't expect there'll be any problems. Most full articles posted here are actually relatively brief. We're not a commerical site, articles are posted for commentary, discussion, and educational purposes, and so on.

Generally when articles are posted here, they should be entirely within quote tags and there should be a link back to the article beneath it.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I don't think there is a set "rule" but there is an internet "etiquette" where an article or whatever posted should have the name of the author and a link back to their original site....and should be taken down if the author asks.

Comment

I find it useful & interesting to have the full posts available immediately, but I wouldn't die if they were to be replaced by links if there's a risk of backburn from a copyright infringement issue.

Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              They, in my opinion, fall within the provisions of the Fair Use Provision, and I don't expect there'll be any problems. Most full articles posted here are actually relatively brief. We're not a commerical site, articles are posted for commentary, discussion, and educational purposes, and so on.

Generally when articles are posted here, they should be entirely within quote tags and there should be a link back to the article beneath it.
              I believe you are on the right track Duke. In order to post the articles, they have to come off the Internet and generally are Public Domain. There are exceptions but the Website itself will have a ccpywrite restriction notice. If so, it is better just to make a comment on the article and add its link.

But to be on the safe side, the source should either be mentioned or a link to it so origin is properly credited.

For example; Articles from the Torrance Daily Breeze on the PAC BB CTR effort to bring the Iowa into San Pedro should at least be identified as the Torrance Daily Breeze and/or a link added on. Just saying "this is from another Website" may not be enough to cover your use of it without saying what the Website is.
              Last edited by RustyBattleship; 09 Jan 10,, 02:07.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                ... But to be on the safe side, the source should either be mentioned or a link to it so origin is properly credited...
                I agree with the above. I do both, mentioning it and giving the link.

I also do not quote the full article, quoting the parts that I consider of interest or significance, and indicating that it is not a full quote. Thus if readers are very interested, they can just click into the link.

Comment

I would think, since we are not using news articles for commercial gain, but rather to add confusion and turmoil to the world of discourse, we are not breaking any copyright laws.:))

I believe it's illegal in Australia without permission, but am not sure. The US and most other sensible countries have a "fair use" policy which allows the use of copyrighted material for references, sources and so on.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Working...
                  X