PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Music....

YellowFever
22 Nov 09,, 00:29
Question:

I know there is a "what song are you listening to" thread around here somewhere and I'm asking for something similar.

I need to go on a 5 day road trip and I'm sick of the songs I listen to. :)

Can people list some of their favorite songs of all time?

Genre doesn't really matter since I listen to all kinds (well except maybe yodeling.... :)

Bigfella
22 Nov 09,, 01:22
Question:

I know there is a "what song are you listening to" thread around here somewhere and I'm asking for something similar.

I need to go on a 5 day road trip and I'm sick of the songs I listen to. :)

Can people list some of their favorite songs of all time?

Genre doesn't really matter since I listen to all kinds (well except maybe yodeling.... :)

YF,

It might help if you gave us an idea of what you are sick of - might steer us right.

I'm getting too feeble minded to remember songs, but I can do artists & albums:

*Anything bythe Drive By Truckers, especially from 'Southern Rock Opera' onwards.

*Good soundtracks can provide some variety - I'd go for 'Singles' (early 90s Seattle sound), The harder they Come (reggae) and 'Less than Zero' (quality 80s stuff).

*The Pogues - great energy, good for driving.

*Midnight Oil - favourite Australian band.

*Punk - love it fast & loud, recommendations: The Dictators, The Ramones, The Stooges, The Saints, The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers.

*Deep Purple - just put 'Machine Head' on repeat. Between 'Highway Star', 'Space Truckin' & 'Smoke on the Water' you'll get where you are going in half the time.

*Derek & the Dominoes - awesome album.

That'll do for starters.

YellowFever
22 Nov 09,, 01:33
YF,

It might help if you gave us an idea of what you are sick of - might steer us right.

I'm getting too feeble minded to remember songs, but I can do artists & albums:

*Anything bythe Drive By Truckers, especially from 'Southern Rock Opera' onwards.

*Good soundtracks can provide some variety - I'd go for 'Singles' (early 90s Seattle sound), The harder they Come (reggae) and 'Less than Zero' (quality 80s stuff).

*The Pogues - great energy, good for driving.

*Midnight Oil - favourite Australian band.

*Punk - love it fast & loud, recommendations: The Dictators, The Ramones, The Stooges, The Saints, The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers.

*Deep Purple - just put 'Machine Head' on repeat. Between 'Highway Star', 'Space Truckin' & 'Smoke on the Water' you'll get where you are going in half the time.

*Derek & the Dominoes - awesome album.

That'll do for starters.

Well southern rock is what I listen to mostly when I drive...lol.

Steely Dan, Eagles, Orleans..etc...etc.

Basically I'm getting kind of sick to the 70's stuff, which is my choice of music on long drives.

I'm in the mood for some Italo or Euro-disco stuff.

Recommendations???

Stitch
22 Nov 09,, 01:48

Basically I'm getting kind of sick to the 70's stuff, which is my choice of music on long drives.

Recommendations???

None whatsoever; I WAS going to recommend some Lynyrd Skynyrd and Tom Petty, but it sounds like you're already listened-out on that stuff.

"Running Down A Dream", by Tom Petty
"Radar Love", by Golden Earring
Anything by ZZ Top, particularly their older stuff ("La Grange", Cheap Sunglasses", "Heard It On The X", "Jesus Just Left Chicago", "Tube Steak Boogie").
Deep Purple is good, too.

Bigfella
22 Nov 09,, 04:48

Recommendations???

Sorry. Not my area.

Southie
22 Nov 09,, 13:18
If you want to listen to something a little different, how about Streetlight Manifesto! They're a SKA (Ska punk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska_punk)) band. Lots of horns.

Lw6bJSt_m8s

Or if you're into heavy metal there's always Holly Maddux! :biggrin: This is the band my son's in. He's one of the lead "screamers", the one in the black shirt! LOL Do I understand what he's saying? Hell no!!! :biggrin:

tyyxmESIa80

tankie
22 Nov 09,, 13:21

Recommendations???

Try some classical , soothing , no road rage , chill out .:cool:

S2
22 Nov 09,, 22:43
Autobahn, man...

...with a white russian or two to smooth over the edges.

BD1
24 Nov 09,, 10:05
If you want to listen to something a little different, how about Streetlight Manifesto! They're a SKA (Ska punk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska_punk)) band. Lots of horns.

Lw6bJSt_m8s

Or if you're into heavy metal there's always Holly Maddux! :biggrin: This is the band my son's in. He's one of the lead "screamers", the one in the black shirt! LOL Do I understand what he's saying? Hell no!!! :biggrin:

tyyxmESIa80

pretty impressive throat your son has, Southie!

as for original post - go look up on youtube for Adriano Celentano, Saragossa Band,GŁnther -Lollipop, Bad Boys Blue but your wife and kids will hate you forever for this torment if they have one ounce of dignity. For the same reason i will not post any direct links

Prof
24 Nov 09,, 15:29
I lean toward the Stones & their ilk. Stuff like Jumpin' Jack Flash or Sympathy for the Devil makes your car go faster & get better gas mileage.

Prof

YellowFever
26 Nov 09,, 08:52
Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Mostly, I listened to southern rock (again) and a few of your suggestions but I fell in love with this one song.

Imagine my surprise when I found out it was sung by Christina Aguilera....yes...THAT Christina Aguilera. :eek:

But you guys should check it out.....I like it..because it's so different from her usual crap.

Thanks again.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1pc6vTSU36Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1pc6vTSU36Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Gun Grape
28 Nov 09,, 06:47
Then throw on some K-Pop and J-Pop and be done with it.:biggrin:

On the road I listen to AC/DC's Back in Black and Dirty Deeds CDs

But my favorite traveling album is Bruce Springsteen 1975-1985 Live.

YellowFever
29 Nov 09,, 09:21
Then throw on some K-Pop and J-Pop and be done with it.:biggrin:

:P

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBoW44N46kY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBoW44N46kY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stitch
30 Nov 09,, 03:28
Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Mostly, I listened to southern rock (again) and a few of your suggestions but I fell in love with this one song.

Imagine my surprise when I found out it was sung by Christina Aguilera....yes...THAT Christina Aguilera. :eek:

But you guys should check it out.....I like it..because it's so different from her usual crap.

Thanks again.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1pc6vTSU36Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1pc6vTSU36Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Okay, now you're scarin' me YF; I thought you were the voice of reason and sanity here? Christina? Are you serious?

YellowFever
30 Nov 09,, 06:28
Okay, now you're scarin' me YF; I thought you were the voice of reason and sanity here? Christina? Are you serious?

Yabut.....ummm.......ok.

You got me there. :mad:

zraver
30 Nov 09,, 06:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ArUgxtlJs

deadmau5 ghosts and stuff, video is great.

Andrey Egorov
30 Nov 09,, 16:08
agro9miL3bA
Dropkick Murphys - love them

Southie
30 Nov 09,, 16:29
agro9miL3bA
Dropkick Murphys - love them

Me too!! I have quite a few of their songs on my iPod.

Blue
30 Nov 09,, 17:02
Of the things I actually have on my computers;

Bach, Mozart, Prokofiev, Vivaldi, Handel, Haydn, Beethoven, Puccini, Dvorak, Mendelsohnn, Chopin, Debussy and Mussorgsky. Brahms, Paganini and Shumann. Those are the only ones I can recall off the top of my head. Ah, Lakme has one called the flower duet that is very nice. I also like modern covers of these composers pieces as long as they are not too juiced up.

I also have from Aerosmith to Zappa, but they are not the ones I would want to be marooned with.

I like Bluegrass as well, right behind the classical. Just remembered i have one or two from Wagner(on the classical side) as well.

Third would have to be the blues, not the SRV type stuff either. I go for the lesser known artists. Seem to be more passionate and less corporate than anyone that ever had a concert over a few hundred people.

To narrow down an absolute favorite as much as possible, I would have to say Baroque or Classical guitar takes it for me.

Someone mentioned that the classics cut down on road rage. I find that very true. Thats mainly how I got hooked on it as it began as my own self prescribed anger management technique. Btwn that and martial arts discipline, is how I have come to be the tolerant, happy go lucky, ray of sunshine I am today.:biggrin:

Gun Grape
01 Dec 09,, 02:55
:P

Wonder girls vid

No Wonder girls

GeeG (SNSD)(Still my fav)

FIU6x_nWb6Q

Fx,

qLU222ZlMxQ

Or BEG (my sons favorite)
QzF7WjkdS8A

You are aware that we are the only 2 on the WAB that has ever posted KPop

YellowFever
01 Dec 09,, 05:44
Holy crap Gunny!

You know your K-Pop!

My offer still stands.....I'll make a disc of all your/your wife's favorites and ship it wherever you like. :)