PDA

View Full Version : football internationals

tankie
19 Nov 09,, 13:00
Another great case for the introduction of TV playback last night when Henry handballed which resulted in a goal for France and Knocked out Ireland , the only people who never saw it were ALL the officials :mad:

snowhole
19 Nov 09,, 13:12
Well, the ref ruled out a good penalty earlier so when he ignored the handball he was probably making up for the French.

tankie
19 Nov 09,, 13:17
Well, the ref ruled out a good penalty earlier so when he ignored the handball he was probably making up for the French.

:) And therein i rest my case for TV playback , which would have shown the penalty claim , and the hand ball :))

snowhole
19 Nov 09,, 13:24
Yes, that'll definately help with fair play.

tankie
19 Nov 09,, 13:35
Yes, that'll definately help with fair play.

Certainly will , and in the process will show the overpaid prima,s for what they are ,,,,,,,,,,,,,FRAUDS :biggrin:

Tarek Morgen
19 Nov 09,, 13:44
He did not handball on purpose. He just wanted to raise his arms to surrender.

tankie
19 Nov 09,, 13:55
He did not handball on purpose. He just wanted to raise his arms to surrender.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: The thing i cant understand is , the fact he was going FORWARDS :biggrin::biggrin:

An unrepentant Thierry Henry refused to accept responsibility for putting Ireland out of the World Cup, insisting that he is "not the referee".

Q: It was difficult for France. Were you afraid?

Thierry Henry: Yes, because the Irish team played well. It was not evident before. We had said that they were a difficult team to play, but the win over there turned out to be dominant. It was difficult to press them: that was our purpose but every time they had a free-kick, the goalkeeper sent the ball deep into our half. It was not a beautiful game, it will not go down in history for its quality. The Irish team could have scored another goal two or three times: fortunately for us, we had a great goalkeeper (in Hugo Lloris) on Wednesday evening. We hope he will continue to play like that.

You qualified thanks to a goal of great controversy...

Yes, that is true. But what is done is done. I admit it: there was a hand. The referee did not see it.

Many Irish people are going to say that France qualified because they cheated.

I am not the referee. The ball touched my hand. I am honest, there was a hand.

Is that what you told Richard Dunne at the end of the game?

Yes, I told him. But he told me the exact same thing: "You are not the referee." As it all happened Sebastien Squillaci was fighting with two players, the ball came to me and touched my hand. I played it. And the referee gave the goal.

To qualify in that way is unusual. Is your pleasure spoiled by this?

We suffered for two years. We had problems with our supporters, the press... It would have been better to win our ticket for South Africa in a different way but, once again, I repeat: I am not the referee.

Raymond Domenech has spoken about subdued enjoyment in the dressing room.

This Irish team did not prove unworthy. In the end if they had qualified, they wouldn't have stolen the spot. Our enjoyment has been measured because we have a lot of respect for this team.

Is it in these kinds of game that a team is forged?

We've played quite a lot of games like this one since the beginning of qualifying. I hope that we can learn from it. After the victory in Ireland our performance was played down, journalists saying that they were not a good team. I kept repeating the opposite. You saw on Wednesday that it was true. I played for eight years in England, I can tell you that Ireland have a good team.

For your part, don't you think France played poorly over the last few games?

No. Ireland played well. We are not alone on the grass. Ireland played very well for over an hour and a half. You need to accept that. But the most important thing is qualifying.

zara
19 Nov 09,, 15:49
very gloomy at work today..

I dont get why everyone knows it wasnt a goal, yet its allowed to go ahead??

its a stupid game anyway

tankie
19 Nov 09,, 17:58
very gloomy at work today..

I dont get why everyone knows it wasnt a goal, yet its allowed to go ahead??

its a stupid game anyway

Well well well , hey zara ,maybe this news will cheer you up , just maybe ;)

The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) called on FIFA on Thursday to order a replay of the controversial World Cup playoff against France.

France booked their place in next year's finals in South Africa with a 1-1 second-leg draw in Paris on Wednesday after striker Thierry Henry handled the ball in the build-up to their goal.

"The blatantly incorrect decision by the referee to award the goal has damaged the integrity of the sport and we now call on FIFA, as the world governing body for our sport, to organise for this match to be replayed," read an FAI statement.

"The hand-ball was recognised (by) the FIFA commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials as well as by the player himself."

The FAI issued the statement as Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni was telling a news conference it would be impossible to replay the match. :(

"I cannot ask this because I know it is impossible," said Trapattoni after his team had gone out 2-1 on aggregate. "When a referee decides, it ends the game for me."

EXTRA TIME

The Italian instead criticised FIFA's late decision to seed the playoff draw and called on the ruling body to scrap extra time in similar games as it handed an advantage to the team drawn at home in the second leg.

"There are many doubts that remain that have to be eliminated. I will go to FIFA and advise them on what we think," said Trapattoni before adding video replays were likely to be brought in for the future. :)) must have heard me ;)

The FAI said there was a precedent for a replay to be staged, citing a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualifier between Uzbekistan and Bahrain in 2005 on the basis of a "technical error by the referee."

"The Football Association of Ireland is hoping FIFA and its disciplinary committee will, on behalf of football fans worldwide, act in a similar fashion so the standards of fair play and integrity can be protected," added the FAI.

Earlier, Irish justice minister Dermot Ahern led calls for a replay, saying FIFA owed it to thousands of devastated fans around the country.

A spokesman for soccer's governing body told Reuters: "FIFA is not in a position to comment on decisions taken by match officials.

Parihaka
19 Nov 09,, 19:03
No chance, FIFA want France to go through, hence the seeding. TV revenue is all.

tankie
19 Nov 09,, 19:44
No chance, FIFA want France to go through, hence the seeding. TV revenue is all.

Which is why i say Iian , just maybe , but its causing big noises here , its been on the news all day , never mind the worlds conflicts :rolleyes: ;)

crooks
19 Nov 09,, 21:39

Undoubtably - doesn't change the fact that the French football team/officials/establishment is/are scum though :):mad:!

Boys in green (and the mighty Traps), you done your country proud, and deserve to be on that plane.

zara
20 Nov 09,, 11:03
Well at least weve got someone to HATE now, thats even more fun than having someone to support. Hopefully England will give them a pasting for us!

tankie
20 Nov 09,, 12:45
Football's world governing body FIFA has confirmed that the controversial France v Ireland World Cup playoff will not be replayed.

The Irish football association (FAI) appealed to FIFA for a replay after Thierry Henry handled the ball when setting up William Gallas's extra-time equaliser in Wednesday's 1-1 draw in Paris that sent France to the World Cup with a 2-1 aggregate win.

However, as was widely expected, FIFA wasted little time in rejecting the plea.

"FIFA has replied to the request made by the FAI to replay the World Cup play-off match between France and the Republic of Ireland," the body said on its website ([url=http://www.fifa.com]FIFA.com - Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) on Friday.

"In the reply, FIFA states that the result of the match cannot be changed and the match cannot be replayed. As is clearly mentioned in the Laws of the Game, during matches, decisions are taken by the referee and these decisions are final."

As predicted , never mind Paddies , ya,s were robbed :(

zara
20 Nov 09,, 12:51
As predicted , never mind Paddies , ya,s were robbed :(

Well, cant complain too much, we weren't the first, and we wont be the last.

I can just imagine the French outrage if it were the other way round though.

zara
20 Nov 09,, 14:59
Egypt-Algeria World Cup anger turns violent in Cairo

Demonstrators burned Algerian flags and firebombed police
Riot police in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, pushed back a violent demonstration near the Algerian embassy in the early hours of Friday.
Egyptian protesters reportedly hurled firebombs at police protecting the embassy and overturned a police van.
Egypt's Interior Ministry said 35 people were injured.
The clashes stem from Egypt's defeat by Algeria in a World Cup qualifying match on Wednesday, securing Algeria the last African place for next year's finals.
On Friday Alaa Mubarak, the son of Egypt's president Hosni Mubarak, made a rare public statement calling for a "tough stance" to be taken against Algeria.
"When you insult my dignity... I will beat you on the head," the businessman, who had attended the game in Khartoum, said.

We should treat Algeria like any country that has declared war on us
Amr Higazi
University student

Egypt could quit internationals
On Thursday night around 1,000 Egyptians burned Algerian flags in a street near the Algerian embassy.
The protests continued into the morning, with 15 cars reported damaged, along with a number of shops. The ministry said 11 police officers were among the injured.
On Friday afternoon, worshippers leaving a mosque in the neighbouring Mohandisseen district after prayers gathered to again burn Algerian flags and chant anti-Algerian songs.
Algeria beat Egypt 1-0 in a play-off in Sudan, to clinch the last African spot for the finals in South Africa next year.
Protesters were incensed by reports that Egyptian fans at the match had been attacked as they left the stadium.
"We should treat Algeria like any country that has declared war on us," university student Amr Higazi told Agence France Presse.
The BBC's Christian Fraser in Cairo says demonstrations like this are normally broken up well before they begin.
Diplomatic spat
Egypt's foreign ministry had summoned the Algerian Ambassador to hear complaints about reports of attacks on Egyptian fans in Khartoum and on Egyptian businesses in Algeria.

FOOTBALL FALL-OUT
1978: Egyptian team recalled part-way through All Africa Games in Algeria after brawl following win over Libya. Algerian spectators joined in on Libyan side
1989: Egypt beat Algeria to reach Italia 90. After the match, midfielder Lakhdar Belloumi blinded the Egyptian team doctor with a bottle
1990: Egypt refused to send its team to African Nations Cup in Algeria
2009:
Striker
Hossam Hassan
and brother
Ibrahim Hassan
banned indefinitely by Fifa after a brawl following a club game in Algeria
The Egyptian ambassador in Algiers was than recalled "for consultations".
Sudan has also summoned the Egyptian envoy in Khartoum, angry at Egyptian media coverage of the game's aftermath.
The Egyptian government alleges 21 of its citizens were attacked after the match, but Sudan says many fewer were injured.
The teams needed the play-off in a neutral country to decide on qualification after the final group match between them on Saturday saw Egypt win 2-0, meaning the two teams finished tied at the top of the group with equal points and identical goal difference.
World football governing body Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Egypt after the Algerian team bus was pelted with stones in Cairo before the match.
Three Algerian players were injured by rocks thrown as they arrived.
Violence between Egypt and Algeria fans flared up across four countries.

I think the Egyptians have the right idea - we should be burning french flags and bombing the place!

tankie
20 Nov 09,, 17:22
I think the Egyptians have the right idea - we should be burning french flags and bombing the place!

Woah there gal , thats a bit drastic , i can understand bombing the place but burning flags nahhhhhhhhhhh .:rolleyes::biggrin:

A football match-fixing ring with more than 200 suspected members fixed or attempted to fix dozens of matches across Europe, including three in the Champions League, German police said on Friday.

Police in Germany, Britain, Austria and Switzerland staged simultaneous raids and arrested 15 people as part of the investigation, which encompasses nine European leagues, Bochum police officials said at a news conference.

Twelve matches in the Europa League, the second-tier club competition behind the elite Champions League, were also under suspicion, police said.

In 2005, Germany was rocked by a betting scandal involving Bundesliga referee Robert Hoyzer, who rigged matches as part of an international illegal betting gang and was sentenced to two years and five months in prison.

tankie
21 Nov 09,, 12:49
Ok zara , go start your flag fire :biggrin:

France reject Irish replay hopes

Thierry Henry handled the ball in the build up to France's goal
Henry prevented the ball going out of play with his hand

The French Football Federation (FFF) has dismissed the Republic of Ireland's request for a replay of their controversial World Cup play-off game.

The Republic pleaded for the French to offer a rematch after Fifa ruled that the result would stand.

France striker Thierry Henry, who handled the ball in the build-up to the winning goal, had earlier said a replay would "be the fairest solution".

But the FFF released a statement ending any hope of the game being replayed.

With the decisive World Cup qualifying tie finely poised at 1-1 in the first half of extra-time, Barcelona striker Henry twice handled a long ball into the area before squaring for William Gallas to bundle home the eventual winner.

The incident in Wednesday's game attracted mass news coverage across Europe, but Henry - who admitted the handball immediately after the match - waited until Friday before releasing a statement.

In it he said: "Of course the fairest solution would be to replay the game but it is not in my control."

Both Irish skipper Robbie Keane and the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) then pleaded with the FFF to agree to replaying the game.

Keane said: "On behalf of the Republic of Ireland players, I would like to thank Thierry Henry for his statement this afternoon that in his opinion a replay would be the fairest option.

"As captain of the French team, to make such a statement took courage and honour, and all of us recognise that.

"As captain of the Republic of Ireland team, I would also be happy for a replay to happen in the interest of fair play so that whichever team qualifies, can do so with their heads held high.

"We can only hope that the French Football Federation might accept the wishes of both captains in the best interests of the game."

Lineker: 'Henry tainted like Maradona'

It was closely followed by the FAI calling for the FFF "to join with it and the captains of both the French and Irish teams, Thierry Henry and Robbie Keane, to request a replay from Fifa that would protect the integrity of the game worldwide".

But on Friday evening the Republic's French counterparts appeared to put an end to any hope of the game being replayed.

"The FFF understands the disappointment and bitterness of the Irish players, management and supporters," read a statement. "The federation never sought to deny the refereeing error which saw the equalising French goal allowed.

"At the end of the match and because French football itself has suffered in the past by events of a similar nature, the FFF management expressed their regrets and sympathy to their Irish counterparts.

"During matches, decisions are taken by the referee and these decisions are final. As a result, the result of the match cannot be changed and the match cannot be replayed.

"The Fifa decision is binding and applies to both federations."

The controversial goal has led to former Arsenal forward Henry being labelled a "cheat" by parts of the media and suggestions by ex-players and pundits that his reputation would be tainted.

"Naturally I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa," said the 32-year-old Frenchman.

"There is little more I can do apart from admit that the ball had contact with my hand leading up to our equalising goal and I feel very sorry for the Irish.

"I have said at the time and I will say again that yes I handled the ball. I am not a cheat and never have been. It was an instinctive reaction to a ball that was coming extremely fast in a crowded penalty area.

"As a footballer you do not have the luxury of the television to slow the pace of the ball down 100 times to be able to make a conscious decision. People are viewing a slow motion version of what happened and not what I or any other footballer faces in the game.

"If people look at it in full speed you will see that it was an instinctive reaction.

"It is impossible to be anything other than that. I have never denied that the ball was controlled with my hand. I told the Irish players, the referee and the media this after the game."

Henry's former manager Arsene Wenger echoed the frontman's thoughts, adding that the incident furthered the case for video technology to be used in future.

"Football accepts that a billion people see it, one guy doesn't see it, and yet it is the one who prevails. It cannot work," said the Gunners boss.

"At the game, I saw the referee giving a goal knowing that something was wrong and that is really sad.

"In the end, he gave a goal already knowing that it wasn't a goal. We cannot accept that in our sport and you have to do something about it. The referee didn't see it, I can understand that, the linesman didn't see it, but they couldn't get any help.

"For the sense of justice it is quite embarrassing to see. I think even France is embarrassed. We didn't play well at all and we won the game and won the qualification with a goal that was not a goal."

And Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson also advocated the use of video technology to resolve such issues.;)

"The stance is that Fifa prefers human decision-making rather than technology decision-making and until they change their mind there is nothing you can do about it - you have to convince them, nobody else," said the Scot.

"It is not a matter of asking every player and manager in the world their opinion because they will all share the same one, as I do myself, that technology can play a part and can help referees in a situation like the other night.

snowhole
21 Nov 09,, 22:05
Ah I didn't know the video tech was widely talked about until now. Hope FIFA and UEFA seriously consider it.

Parihaka
22 Nov 09,, 00:30
Did I mention New Zealand was through to the world cup......

zara
23 Nov 09,, 11:03
Did I mention New Zealand was through to the world cup......

Did you cheat too?

Bigfella
23 Nov 09,, 12:03
Ah I didn't know the video tech was widely talked about until now. Hope FIFA and UEFA seriously consider it.

I'm the reverse Snowhole. I think that the use of video technology in sport is an abomination. It breaks up the flow of games, it erodes the authority of officials even further and it usually results in 'creep'.

It will start out with clear 'yes/no' calls, probably relating to a goal being scored. We will be told that it will be limited to this decision only - perhaps handball, goals or somesuch. Then there will be the next big game where a bad or missed call on a penalty or offside knocks someone out of something important. Slowly the scope of decisions referred to video will increase - more stopping of games for longer.

Players, already arrogant overpaid sh1ts in my book, will start leaning on officials on the field to refer decisions to video. These prima donnas have little enough respect for anyine else as it is, with video they will be even more tempted to umpire the game themselves.

I have seen all of this happen in the sport I follow most - cricket - and most cricketers are Mother Teresa humble & deferrent compared to professional footballers. You might think this is going to be a good idea, but it won't be.

snowhole
23 Nov 09,, 13:05
I'm the reverse Snowhole. I think that the use of video technology in sport is an abomination. It breaks up the flow of games, it erodes the authority of officials even further and it usually results in 'creep'.

It will start out with clear 'yes/no' calls, probably relating to a goal being scored. We will be told that it will be limited to this decision only - perhaps handball, goals or somesuch. Then there will be the next big game where a bad or missed call on a penalty or offside knocks someone out of something important. Slowly the scope of decisions referred to video will increase - more stopping of games for longer.

Players, already arrogant overpaid sh1ts in my book, will start leaning on officials on the field to refer decisions to video. These prima donnas have little enough respect for anyine else as it is, with video they will be even more tempted to umpire the game themselves.

I have seen all of this happen in the sport I follow most - cricket - and most cricketers are Mother Teresa humble & deferrent compared to professional footballers. You might think this is going to be a good idea, but it won't be.

Mmmm I thought as long as refs keep their books they'd be fine. Ah well, just me thinking.

tankie
23 Nov 09,, 17:19

We will have to suck it n see B/F , it works well in rugby ;)

Parihaka
23 Nov 09,, 19:37
Did you cheat too?

Hell yes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_hosts#Controversy_2)

Magically in return we no longer have to beat Australia twice to get to the cup.

Parihaka
23 Nov 09,, 19:38
We will have to suck it n see B/F , it works well in rugby ;)

Aye.

zara
24 Nov 09,, 10:18
Hell yes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_hosts#Controversy_2)

Magically in return we no longer have to beat Australia twice to get to the cup.

Well Ill be routing for ye, nice to see the small countries do well

tankie
24 Nov 09,, 11:09
Well maybe the Irish debacle is gonna pay some dividends zara .

Fifa has called for an extraordinary general meeting in December to discuss incidents at the World Cup play-offs.

It is likely Thierry Henry's handball during the Republic of Ireland-France match will be discussed, though a replay has already been ruled out.

Crowd trouble before, during and after Algeria's victory over Egypt could also come under the microscope.

Fifa is also keen to discuss football betting irregularities and issues surrounding refereeing in matches.

BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent Gordon Farquhar said it had been a particularly difficult few days for football's rulers.

Apart from the incidents in the play-offs, the Iraqi football association has been suspended for government interference and 17 people arrested in connection with allegations of match-fixing in 200 games in nine different European countries.

Farquhar added: "Extraordinary meetings of Fifa's executive committee are unusual.

"At this point Fifa is unable to expand much further on its statement announcing the meeting but these issues are threatening to overshadow the draw and preparations for the World Cup in South Africa. Clearly Fifa president Sepp Blatter wants action."

There was no doubt that the Henry handball, which effectively wrecked the Republic of Ireland's chances of reaching the World Cup, would be high on the agenda, he said.

But a senior Fifa source told the Press Association: "A replay is impossible. It would be against the rules of football."

However, the idea of having an extra referee's assistant behind each goal, as is the case in the Europa League, might well be discussed.

606: DEBATE
Henry is a cheat and the epitome of the corruption in Fifa

superlativepatrick

The system is being championed by Uefa president Michel Platini and would have to be approved by the International Football Association Board before it could be brought into the World Cup.

Scottish chief executive Gordon Smith, who sits on the IFAB along with the three other home nations and Fifa, said: "I've no doubt Michel Platini will use this incident to push the system and they may now decide to put it to the IFAB that they want to have it at the World Cup.

"I feel it has its advantages at the highest levels of the games. When there's massive TV coverage the problems are highlighted all over the world so this is something we may have to look at."

The Football Association of Ireland have said they would be happy to contribute to Fifa's discussions.

The meeting will take place on Wednesday next week in Cape Town, when executive committee members are already due for a meeting to discuss the seedings for next year's World Cup. The draw will be held two days later

zara
24 Nov 09,, 11:44
Well maybe the Irish debacle is gonna pay some dividends zara .

Well hopefully, but nothing can be done for Ireland now I don't think..

To be honest, I don't even watch football most of the time... I like the world cup, but when thats finished, I just switch off for the next 4 years.

Ill support england and who evers playing against France this summer.

tankie
24 Nov 09,, 11:46
Well hopefully, but nothing can be done for Ireland now I don't think..

I like the world cup, but when thats finished, I just switch off for the next 4 years.

Wow , i bet your a real hit with the studs huh :biggrin: