PDA

View Full Version : Formula one

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 16:44
Well i bet Ferrari are really pissed now with this news , a current world champ and the ex world champ ,racing together , i reckon Hamilton is by far the best driver in the world at F1

Jenson Button will partner Lewis Hamilton at McLaren next season in an all-British line-up of champions, the Formula One team said on Wednesday.

The multi-year deal completes an astonishing year for 29-year-old Button, who did not know if he had a future in the sport last December when his then-employers Honda pulled out.

Button went on to win six of the first seven races of the season for Brawn GP, the team that emerged from the remains of Honda.

"It's always a difficult decision to leave a team when you've been there for so long. But life is all about challenges -- and, most important of all, it's about challenging yourself," Button said.

"So, although I won the world championship with Brawn GP, and I'll never forget that, I was always adamant that I wanted to continue to set myself fresh challenges.

"You can't help but be affected by this team's phenomenal history. McLaren is one of the greats of world sport, and its achievements and list of past champions read like a Who's Who of Formula One," he added.

"I've followed the McLaren team ever since I was a small boy, and it feels unbelievable finally to be a part of it."

BEST POSSIBLE

The signing means Mercedes-powered McLaren will have two champion drivers for the first time since 1989 when France's Alain Prost and Brazilian Ayrton Senna formed an explosive pairing at the Woking-based team.

It will also be the first time a team has started the new season with the most recent two title-holders as well as the first pairing of British champions since Graham Hill joined Jim Clark at Lotus in 1968.

"It has always been our policy to employ the two very best possible drivers," said team principal Martin Whitmarsh.

"In Jenson and Lewis, we feel we not only have the fastest pairing on the 2010 grid but also the two most complete, professional and dedicated drivers in Formula One.

"I want to make clear that Jenson's decision to join us was in no way motivated by money," he added. "We'll be paying him no more than he could be getting elsewhere."

While Button will still be well rewarded, with reports suggesting a pay packet of around six million pounds a year, he faces the toughest challenge of his career.

HAMILTON'S PATCH

Hamilton, 24, has been nurtured by McLaren for more than a decade and has made the team his own since bursting onto the scene as a sensational rookie in 2007 and then winning the championship in 2008.

"It's Lewis Hamilton's patch, it's his territory and he's made it his own. He knows everybody and knows where all the green buttons are to press," former McLaren driver turned television commentator Martin Brundle told the BBC.

Hamilton said he looked forward to working with Button, while also extending his best wishes to departing Finnish team mate Heikki Kovalainen.

"I already know Jenson, and we get on very well together. We both really want our team to succeed," he said.

"Although we'll be pushing each other hard, I'm sure we'll very quickly establish a great working relationship. He's an exceptional driver: very controlled and very smooth, and he has a real depth of knowledge and experience.

"I think we'll complement each other very well, and our collaboration will make the team stronger as a result."

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 16:55
well, Ferrari is already pissed of because of "anti-ferrari" behaviour of F1 administration.

thats why they do not push hard this season.

btw despite being an F1 fan i think that spectating F1 from tv or live at the track is BOOOOOOOOOORING....

i think they must add somethings to make it "movie-like" when they shooting on tv.

tinymarae
18 Nov 09,, 16:58
The Fonz and Massa is pretty neat driver line up too. Although I am not a big fan of the Fonz (I am Schumey fan), the Fonz is a better driver than Hamilton.
Have you forgotten Hamilton bottling up the big occasions? ;)

And dont get me started on Button. He won only because of the car. That too he barely stumbled across the finish line :biggrin:

Let the flaming commence.

HistoricalDavid
18 Nov 09,, 17:02
i think they must add somethings to make it "movie-like" when they shooting on tv.

They need to make the racing fundamentally more exciting. I suggest introducing pedestrians, such as throwing parachuted midgets covered in tyre-piercing spikes onto the track using trebuchets.

No seriously, the cars need to be more difficult to control and more able to take knocks. Removing the rev limiter of 19,000 rpm (or is it 18k?) would force teams into a real competition between reliability and speed. It would be ending almost a century of open-wheel racing but maybe introducing wheel covers and tougher suspension systems would encourage more aggressive fighting in entering corners, without the current situation where the slightest knock can send both cars to the pits.

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 17:03
Yayyyyyyyyyyyy for the brits ,,,, we are the champions , no time for losers cos we are the champions ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,of the WOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD:tongue:

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 17:05
They need to make the racing fundamentally more exciting. I suggest introducing pedestrians, such as throwing parachuted midgets covered in tyre-piercing spikes onto the track using trebuchets.

No seriously, the cars need to be more difficult to control and more able to take knocks. Removing the rev limiter of 19,000 rpm (or is it 18k?) would force teams into a real competition between reliability and speed. It would be ending almost a century of open-wheel racing but maybe introducing wheel covers and tougher suspension systems would encourage more aggressive fighting in entering corners, without the current situation where the slightest knock can send both cars to the pits.

Got to agree , much more exciting in the days of the likes of Fangio ,,,,, so R/B and Ooe said :rolleyes::))

dave lukins
18 Nov 09,, 17:10
well, Ferrari is already pissed of because of "anti-ferrari" behaviour of F1 administration.

btw despite being an F1 fan i think that spectating F1 from tv or live at the track is BOOOOOOOOOORING....

Motosiklet geçmek..you know it is the best sport alive;):))

dave lukins
18 Nov 09,, 17:12

End the cheating may help as well;)

Rumrunner
18 Nov 09,, 17:15

Man, I love watching F-1 on TV, possibly because its usually on during Sunday mornings in NY and it's a nice repetive thing to watch while I emerge from a hangover. I like the way they shoot it.

If you think F-1 is boring be happy you dont have NASCAR. Be happy. :rolleyes:

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 17:15
They need to make the racing fundamentally more exciting. .....

No seriously, the cars need to be more difficult to control and more able to take knocks. Removing the rev limiter of 19,000 rpm (or is it 18k?) would force teams into a real competition between reliability and speed.

i want the spectacular drivers back, last of them was M. Schumacher i think.

i want all the traction controls, rev limiters & telemetry systems off.

this must be back to a sport formation not a robotised "who have more money & researchers" game.

little teams should have more chance but despite this bigger teams should not be pissed off by ridiculous rules.

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 17:18
Man, I love watching F-1 on TV, possibly because its usually on during Sunday mornings in NY and it's a nice repetive thing to watch while I emerge from a hangover. I like the way they shoot it.

If you think F-1 is boring be happy you dont have NASCAR. Be happy. :rolleyes:

no offense at all but despite i try to understand the streetlike racing style of NASCAR...o c'mon man racing non-stop around a circle and never turning right (or left?) is non-sense to me :redface: just like the drag racers, same to me...400meters....why????.... :))

no offense man really no offense

Motosiklet geçmek..you know it is the best sport alive

in theory yes but i never liked the MotoGP as well :(

Knaur Amarsh
18 Nov 09,, 17:22
I like watching both F1 and NASCAR :))

Rumrunner
18 Nov 09,, 17:27
no offense at all but despite i try to understand the streetlike racing style of NASCAR...o c'mon man racing non-stop around a circle and never turning right (or left?) is non-sense to me :redface: just like the drag racers, same to me...400meters....why????.... :))

no offense man really no offense

None taken. I cant stand watching NASCAR unless it's on a street circut. Drag racing has it's time and place, and I can see the appeal for gearheads and car nuts but overall both are just dull and uninteresting to watch.

Now actually going to a NASCAR race and doing the camp-out for the whole weekend is an entirely different story, or so I've heard from friends who have done it. The party starts Thursday night and the BBQ's and beers dont stop until Monday. :))

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 17:31
Yayyyyyyyyyyyy for the brits ,,,, we are the champions , no time for losers cos we are the champions ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,of the WOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD:tongue:

i would like to see the British Racing Green back on the F1. Jag was a catasthrophe.

see thats the problem i think.

once upon a time there was Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Lotus, Audi and many other teams & brands...even Rover tried the F1...

now most of those brands are owned by "global" bigger companies...those companies dont see any reason to be (which means much money) in F1...

there was "names" like Fangio that people would take as a role-model...

now F1 is at best,

spiritless, robotic & cash-centric...

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 17:35
...Now actually going to a NASCAR race and doing the camp-out for the whole weekend is an entirely different story, or so I've heard from friends who have done it. The party starts Thursday night and the BBQ's and beers dont stop until Monday. :))

did i say that i am an open minded person and can start to love NASCAR...alongwith those BBQ&Beer parties :biggrin::biggrin:

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 17:36
i would like to see the British Racing Green back on the F1. Jag was a catasthrophe.

see thats the problem i think.

once upon a time there was Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Lotus, Audi and many other teams & brands...even Rover tried the F1...

now most of those brands are owned by "global" bigger companies...those companies dont see any reason to be (which means much money) in F1...

there was "names" like Fangio that people would take as a role-model...

now F1 is at best,

spiritless, robotic & cash-centric...

I agree mate its expensive , BUT never boring , a race is mainly won with the decisions taken before the race , the strategy , the split second timing in the pits , tyres, fuel, etc etc , oh , and having a good car and good driver helps as well , i think the Vanwall was always BRG ;)

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 18:27
I agree mate its expensive , BUT never boring , a race is mainly won with the decisions taken before the race , the strategy , the split second timing in the pits , tyres, fuel, etc etc , oh , and having a good car and good driver helps as well , i think the Vanwall was always BRG ;)

good driving must be at first place :)

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 18:42
good driving must be at first place :)

Cant agree mate , an F1 race is won in the pit strategy ,all the drivers are well on par with each other , even the greatest have got their stategy wrong and never got a podium ;)

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 19:08
Cant agree mate , an F1 race is won in the pit strategy ,all the drivers are well on par with each other , even the greatest have got their stategy wrong and never got a podium ;)

and the pit strategies are always kinda cheat to me :)

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 19:28

How so ??

Knaur Amarsh
18 Nov 09,, 19:34

To each his own, I think they make the sport much more interesting to watch :)

BenRoethig
18 Nov 09,, 19:46

By anti-Ferrarri, you mean not allowing them to spend a billion a year and send out a car that drives itself. They need to keep instituting changes that puts the race back in the drivers hands. The title of WDC really doesn't mean all that much these days, its all in the hands of mechanical engineers and the computers nerds who write the software. The current set of drivers is just a bunch of rich spoiled posers doing it for the fame and money.

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 19:48
How so ??

To each his own, I think they make the sport much more interesting to watch :)

well, when i see a car passing other from the pit stop...well this is not fair to me.

i want to see cars passing by eachother on the tarmac, not on the pit lane.

BenRoethig
18 Nov 09,, 19:52
well, when i see a car passing other from the pit stop...well this is not fair to me.

Not going to happen unless the drivers aides go bye bye and we get a crop of drivers who isn't so risk adverse. Of course the purists don't want there to be any rules even if the technology has gotten to a point where the drivers have little to do with performance and it completely ruins what you see on the track.

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 19:54
By anti-Ferrarri, you mean not allowing them to spend a billion a year and send out a car that drives itself. They need to keep instituting changes that puts the race back in the drivers hands. The title of WDC really doesn't mean all that much these days, its all in the hands of mechanical engineers and the computers nerds who write the software. The current set of drivers is just a bunch of rich spoiled posers doing it for the fame and money.

if you see my other posts you can see that i agree with you about drivers abilities.

the cars that drives their selves are there because of ridiculous rules. allowing of telemetry, traction & launch controls and etc...

if i remember well there are some teams other than Ferrari who admit that they used illegal launch control programs and etc.

i am not to advocating anything nor being any teams fan btw.

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 19:56

Do you mean a car gets in front of another because of a better pit stop ?

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 20:06
Do you mean a car gets in front of another because of a better pit stop ?

normally i understand the strat thing in these matters but these type of passings are much more often than normal passings.

as an addition as far as i know tracks are not that "passing friendly" at all, i mean in a normal track there are too few passable zones.

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 20:11
normally i understand the strat thing in these matters but these type of passings are much more often than normal passings.

as an addition as far as i know tracks are not that "passing friendly" at all, i mean in a normal track there are too few passable zones.

I dont think you grasp the concept of pit stops , before a driver is allowed to leave the pits he has to have permission from the lollipop man , if another car has a better and faster stop he can pass that slower car , its all fair , thats why i say F1 races are won and lost it the pits and strategies .;)

Big K
18 Nov 09,, 20:18
I dont think you grasp the concept of pit stops , before a driver is allowed to leave the pits he has to have permission from the lollipop man , if another car has a better and faster stop he can pass that slower car , its all fair , thats why i say F1 races are won and lost it the pits and strategies .;)

no i fully understand the pit stop concept mate but i just cant express my self again :redface:

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 20:31
no i fully understand the pit stop concept mate but i just cant express my self again :redface:

Ahh ok mate , but the pits are a very strategic important part of the race and all is legal in reference to passing .;)

BD1
18 Nov 09,, 21:33
i used to watch F1 but for all the reasons Big K listed i lost interest - around the time Schumacher won his 4th (5?) title.
i switched to WRC, which i still think is much, much more spectacular all in all, but due to it´s format is quite hard to follow...

dave lukins
18 Nov 09,, 21:54
Ahh ok mate , but the pits are a very strategic important part of the race and all is legal in reference to passing .;)

Like stealing 'secrets' from another team, allowing your team mate to pass to get higher points, or by throwing the race by crashing into walls..Sorry, not my idea of a 'sport'. I used to go to F1 but not any more. Give me bikes any day. 1 bike 1 rider, not special this and that, no radio instructions, no snooty prima donna drivers.;) and the champagne is cheaper too:))

tankie
18 Nov 09,, 22:15
Like stealing 'secrets' from another team, allowing your team mate to pass to get higher points, or by throwing the race by crashing into walls..Sorry, not my idea of a 'sport'. I used to go to F1 but not any more. Give me bikes any day. 1 bike 1 rider, not special this and that, no radio instructions, no snooty prima donna drivers.;) and the champagne is cheaper too:))

All you say has happened Dave without doubt , and it throws the sport into a bad light , i remember when Schumacher was ordered to pass his team mate and his team mate was ordered to slow down to let him ,

it secured a win for schuey but he was so embarrassed about it that he gave the trophy to his team mate , and lets face it , cheating happens in most sports , like football, snooker, darts, cricket,horse racing etc etc ;)

Big K
19 Nov 09,, 01:00
darts?? cheating?? homing darts???? lol

tankie
19 Nov 09,, 12:06
darts?? cheating?? homing darts???? lol

Yup , its called , rip the bookmakers off , lose on purpose and make bets on the outcome ;)

bolo121
20 Nov 09,, 06:12
Ive been a fan of F1 for a while and i agree with a lot that Big K says.
IMO they should

1. remove rev limiting, traction control and telemetry limited to 5 vital parameters only.
2. the anemic 2.8 liter engines removed and more powerful engines above 3.2l introduced (speeds above 340 kph on straights should be possible). Cars themselves strengthened to enable a bit of racing contact without getting thrown out of the race
3. A sweeping aerodynamic regulation that states that no car however designed can cause more that a prescribed max amount of rear air turbulence, in order to make overtaking easier.
4. A more sensible pre and in season testing policy that alows teams to bring in new improvements and try out new talent without costing too much.

F1 is in bad shape, BMW, Toyota and Honda are gone. The sole tyre supplier Bridgestone is going, the new tracks such as Bahrain and Shangai are soulless and boring.

tankie
20 Nov 09,, 12:09
Yup , and i dont think a deal has been struck yet to secure a UK grand prix at Silverstone .

dave lukins
20 Nov 09,, 12:51
Eccelstone and Mosley fighting a duel should get the crowds back:))

Big K
20 Nov 09,, 12:59

they will wake up when Ferrari pull back itself from F1 business and heads to another single seater racing series.

tankie
20 Nov 09,, 13:03

Mosley has stepped down has he not , in order to pursue his other interests , to include goosestepping around nazi clad nubiles :rolleyes:

bolo121
20 Nov 09,, 14:12
Yes old Mad Max is gone but he has managed to put his designated successor Jean Todt in his place.

tinymarae
23 Dec 09,, 10:26
Michael Schumacher signs up for F1 return with Mercedes
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8427552.stm)

The God is back, but unfortunately for the ferrari worshippers, God has gone over to the Satan's side :))

Read it and weep Tankie. Weren't you gloating about the all powerful British team? Well, Schumey will trounce your puny mclaren a**.

tankie
23 Dec 09,, 13:25
Michael Schumacher signs up for F1 return with Mercedes
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8427552.stm)

The God is back, but unfortunately for the ferrari worshippers, God has gone over to the Satan's side :))

Read it and weep Tankie. Weren't you gloating about the all powerful British team? Well, Schumey will trounce your puny mclaren a**.

Yes i was and it seems the rest of the formula 1 world has taken notice , trying to bring back a retired jack boot who,s goona get it firmly stuck up his arse by the Brits ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, again ,which of course are using mercedes as well ,, go lewis go ;)

BenRoethig
23 Dec 09,, 13:36
The only god was the half a billion dollar budget. Without the driver aides and the Ferrari engineers, I think he'll see the real Schumi.

tankie
23 Dec 09,, 13:56
The only god was the half a billion dollar budget. Without the driver aides and the Ferrari engineers, I think he'll see the real Schumi.

The cheater ;)

BenRoethig
23 Dec 09,, 15:25
Well, he does draw a lot of parallels to Barry Bonds and the driver aid era in F1 is a lot like the steroid era in baseball.

Andrey Egorov
09 Mar 10,, 21:23
US GPE couldn't make it. How sad. So much effort and determination fell by the lack of funding.
autosport.com - F1 News: Exclusive interview with Ken Anderson (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81831)

But we greet Vitaly!!!

bolo121
10 Mar 10,, 05:34
Well three days to go before the season opener, so let me see some predictions.
Will jenson and hamilton get on and how long before alonso pisses off his new team mate?
Will shumi be a damp squib?
will the lack of fuel stops make overtaking even more rare?

Yusuf
10 Mar 10,, 07:16
Cannot wait for the season to begin. As usual a go with the Ferraris but heart will be with Schumi. Sad that he went to his old mate than his old team. Will be pretty interesting season. No one is going to steam roll i dont think so.

Stitch
10 Mar 10,, 21:42
None taken. I cant stand watching NASCAR unless it's on a street circut.

Totally agree; if I wanna go watch cars drive around in a circle for two hours, I can go downtown and do that.

The only race I've actually seen was one at the old Sears Point years ago (now Infinion Raceway); a course like that is much more exciting than a big, round, boring oval track.

BenRoethig
10 Mar 10,, 22:16
Totally agree; if I wanna go watch cars drive around in a circle for two hours, I can go downtown and do that.

The only race I've actually seen was one at the old Sears Point years ago (now Infinion Raceway); a course like that is much more exciting than a big, round, boring oval track.

But apparently watching them go around the track in order because nobody can pass is somehow exciting.

bolo121
15 Mar 10,, 07:37
The first race is over and let me just say YAAAAAAAAAWWWWNN.
Boring as heck. The F1 supremos really need to get their heads out of their arses and push up the overall speed levels at least.
Its time to increase engine power and decrease dependence on all those aero parts. Lets have some wheel banging rough and tumble racing again.

Zaitsev
15 Mar 10,, 07:55
Boring as heck. The F1 supremos really need to get their heads out of their arses and push up the overall speed levels at least.
Its time to increase engine power and decrease dependence on all those aero parts. Lets have some wheel banging rough and tumble racing again.

Rightly said that arse of a man Max Mosley screwed the sport during his tenure.:mad::mad:

BenRoethig
15 Mar 10,, 08:25

That's not F1 anymore. Its (d)evolved into a racing nobility. The current crop likes the paychecks and the fame and are far too risk adverse. They want to retire young and rich and they won't agree to anything that will jeopardize that. If there's even the slightest danger, they won't race.

Andrey Egorov
15 Mar 10,, 09:07
With all safety measures taken in both cars and tracks current speed restrictions - stepped bottom, narrow wings and tires, small engines etc - can be easily revoked. Will Jean Todt have enough determination to do it?

BenRoethig
15 Mar 10,, 15:08
No

Andrey Egorov
15 Mar 10,, 16:23
Pity

StevoJH
27 Mar 10,, 09:12
Vettel in pole, Webber second in Melbourne. Hamilton didn't make the top 10.

Oh, and Hamilton got a Merc impounded by Victoria Police for apparently doing a burnout.

bolo121
27 Mar 10,, 12:12
Here's hoping that it wont turn out to be another yawnfest. I will tune in for the first 30 mins or so anyway.
Was Talking about F1 with a colleague at work, his reply was "An average Indian driving to work daily faced more danger than your modern F1 driver."

BenRoethig
27 Mar 10,, 15:51
Vettel in pole, Webber second in Melbourne. Hamilton didn't make the top 10.

Oh, and Hamilton got a Merc impounded by Victoria Police for apparently doing a burnout.

Well at at least there was some kind of excitement.

Here's hoping that it wont turn out to be another yawnfest. I will tune in for the first 30 mins or so anyway.
Was Talking about F1 with a colleague at work, his reply was "An average Indian driving to work daily faced more danger than your modern F1 driver."

The last time it wasn't, I think Mansell, Senna, and Prost were still on the track. Then again, they were racers back then and not risk adverse celebrities.

bolo121
27 Mar 10,, 19:44
Well at at least there was some kind of excitement.

The last time it wasn't, I think Mansell, Senna, and Prost were still on the track. Then again, they were racers back then and not risk adverse celebrities.

Agree 100%. I am in more danger at 100kph on Bangalore's Inner Ring Road than any of these so called superstars.

ps: Your earlier comments on Schumi seem to be coming true. He has not been able to even discomfort his teammate so far.

bolo121
29 Mar 10,, 06:35
Enjoyable race! Formula 1 should be scheduled only in the rainy parts of the world!
Lots of spills and twitchy moments plenty of passing and as icing on the cake, hamilton spinning out trying to get past alonso...sweet.

chender
04 May 10,, 06:18
Just found this thread. This is the best season for a while. I still think JB is cruising in a car better than him, that he has has more in common with my compatriot Coulthard than a real driver like Hamilton. Just sayin ..

bolo121
04 May 10,, 07:16
Just found this thread. This is the best season for a while. I still think JB is cruising in a car better than him, that he has has more in common with my compatriot Coulthard than a real driver like Hamilton. Just sayin ..

I wouldnt call Hammy a real driver yet (more of a really spoiled prat).
He has always been in excellent cars for most of the time with all of the team's efforts focused on him first.
Alonso and Schumacher back in the day both had that great driver's knack of making an inferior car do things that it shouldn't have been capable of. Hammy always whines when is car is even a little bit off.