Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a WAB ACW staff ride in the spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any interest in a WAB ACW staff ride in the spring?

Would there be any interest in a WAB staff ride at Antietam, Gettysburg, or Chancerlorsville next spring? If there is, then we can see if we can figure out a ballpark weekend and exact battle and then refine/confirm the date following the new year. I've got no preference to battle, as I'm reading through all of Sears books and find that nothing sharpens one's understanding as to actually be forced to research particular aspects of a battle/campaign and walk the ground. My only constraints will be that my 4th kid is due starting at the end of April and the unknown of what my work schedule will look like once I actually report to my job next month (although this shouldn't preclude a Saturday or Sunday man's day out).
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I could squeak out a day....I can do a NO GO list shortly.

One of my issues is the system I am working on goes into major test starting in late spring.
    For my convenience I could handle C-ville the easiest G'burg and Antietam are on the edge of nearing the ALMOST too hard category.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

shek,

i'm interested, although as my (taiwanese) better half will want to come, it will be a real challenge for me to translate AND simplify to the Civil War 4 Dummies guide version for her
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        shek,

i'm interested, although as my (taiwanese) better half will want to come, it will be a real challenge for me to translate AND simplify to the Civil War 4 Dummies guide version for her
        The Difficult We Do Right Away; The Impossible Will Talk A Little Longer!:))
        Mark Twain

Comment

I'd love to, but unless you pick Pea Ridge in Arkansas I am out.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            shek,

That is so mean.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
              I'd love to, but unless you pick Pea Ridge in Arkansas I am out.
              Dude! I was SO there last SEPT!!!!
              Mark Twain

Comment

Yup, I heard you and 7th talking about it. The wife hates history, its not alive for her the way it is for us. So I haven't been but I want to.

I have been to Antietam, Fredricksburg, Little Bighorn and Vicksburg for battlefields. Ft Casey, Sand Point naval base and Ft Laramie for historic forts. Visited the Armor and Cavalry Museum, Ft Hood Museum, Ft Lewis Museum, Aberdeen proving Grounds for the official museums. I've also visited the Patton Museum, and a private military vehicle museum in IIRC South Dakota.

Also visited- McCord AFB, Little Rock Air Force base, Bremerton Naval Shipyards. Whibey Island naval Air Station,Hill AFB and Mountain Home AFB.

Duty assignments- Lewis (and Yakima TC), Hood, Polk, and Knox with 2 NTC rotations to Ft. Irwin.

Comment

Z Man

So you have seen THE tree at Yakima!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Z Man

Where is that in relation to Squaw T!t?
                    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      Z Man

Rings a bell, but that was a long time ago. I've seen petrified wood out there. usually we rolled in, drew out our tanks and tracks and headed out.
                      I remember the damn goat farm though

Shek, in 90-92 Sqauw T!t was fenced off.

Yakima is home to some of my most interesting memories.

I was a young kid of 17 fresh from OSUT and assigned to HHC 1/803rd Armor in the 3 shop. I was standing on top of Uptanum (sp?) Ridge talking with an Lt. when a B-52 we never heard coming zipped right over the top of us doing a mock nuclear penetration run- awesome.

I also had my one and only helicopter ride there. Me and a bunch of other tankers went down an caught a ride on a CH-47 doing wild fire training.

Comment

I practically do a staff ride everyday. I live off Reliance Road, the latter day name for the winding road that connects Cedarville to Middletown. It's the road Jackson's forces took when they left Front Royal. They marched north
                        on the Winchester road for several miles to Cedarville and then hung a left on my road heading west at a fast clip toward Middletown, a 6-mile hike. I believe Jackson's objective was to surprise Union forces hanging out in the vicinity of Middletown.

Anyway, I'm up for a staff ride.

A suggestion to add into the mix: Cedar Creek battlefield.

I like it because it is largely unmanicured and unmarked. The routes of Early's undetected nighttime march down from his mountainside camp to surprise Union forces is still pretty much open country. Many of the key points take some finding. While a small portion of the battle site is owned and operated by a trust, the battle was fought in a series of engagements
                        in a 5 to 6-mile corridor along the Valley Pike, which is still there.

The corridor runs north from the point where Early's forces crossed Cedar Creek, to roll up the Union flank, to a point just beyond Middletown where his forces were finally routed. Winchester, where Sheridan was when the battle began, is about 12 miles farther north...(He heard the artillery fire from there and came running.)

If you guys are interested, I'll talk to a retired LTC hereabouts who is a civil war buff. He might be able to organize something.
                        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Any of you guys been to the UK museums , a good one is in Bovvington , the tank museum , well worth a look , another is in Leeds , Armley , also one in Manchester .There are some good guided tours of the 1st WW , Flanders , somme etc etc
                          Last edited by tankie; 24 Nov 09,, 13:26.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                            Any of you guys been to the UK museums , a good one is in Bovvington , the tank museum , well worth a look , another is in Leeds , Armley , also one in Manchester .There are some good guided tours of the 1st WW , Flanders , somme etc etc
                            I didn't know that Flanders and Somme were part of the American Civil War ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                              I didn't know that Flanders and Somme were part of the American Civil War ;)
                              Arent they ?? wow our history books need updating a bit ,,

Yes Mjr , i was only curious by asking if you had been to some real battlefields ,,, incomingggggggg grape shot methinks , oh yes was the little big horn also part of the US civil war ;):))

Comment

Working...
                              X