PDA

View Full Version : The Wall Comes Down

Albany Rifles
09 Nov 09,, 21:16
So, where were you the night wall came down?

I remember sitting in my living room in government quarters at FT Lee Virginia. I was drinking a beer and reading a book. I put down the book and kept drinking the beer. I was transfixed by CNN. I think I stayed up to about 0300.

I rushed home from work each day to put on the TV and see what the latest news was fopr about 2 weeks after that.

Kernow
09 Nov 09,, 21:24
I was in Iserlohn, West Germany.

dave lukins
09 Nov 09,, 23:58
I had left the army that year. Spend about 17 yrs in Germany and they wait until I leave to pull it down.:rolleyes::)

Kernow
10 Nov 09,, 01:03
BBC NEWS | Europe | In pictures: Berlin Wall anniversary (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8350810.stm)

Tarek Morgen
10 Nov 09,, 01:04
i was only 4 years old and don't remember it, but according to my parents when everybody was running aroud shouting "The wall is gone, the wall is gone!" my reaction was: "it wasn't me!!"

Kernow
10 Nov 09,, 01:05
i was only 4 years old and don't remember it, but according to my parents when everybody was running aroud shouting "The wall is gone, the wall is gone!" my reaction was: "it wasn't me!!"

:biggrin:Very Good.:biggrin:

Bigfella
10 Nov 09,, 08:08
I had left the army that year. Spend about 17 yrs in Germany and they wait until I leave to pull it down.:rolleyes::)

I can just see it now: Gorbachev sitting in the Kremlin gets the word - 'Lukins has finally left the Army'. "Thank Lenin for that" says Gorby, "thought the mad bastard would NEVER leave. OK boys, its safe to let the wall down now". :biggrin:

Chogy
10 Nov 09,, 13:50
I was on active duty as an instructor pilot. I remember having several powerful thoughts... "I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime; a miracle" and "We apparently have no enemy now - we have won the cold war. What will become of our armed forces, and how will this shape policy?"

Finally, I thought "The reunification of Germany will be a task of herculean proportions" and I honestly thought it would be a social and economic disaster. The Germans proved that notion wrong.