Scozzafava bows out of NY 23 race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scozzafava bows out of NY 23 race

Scozzafava is what would be considered a liberal Republican, and recently here Conservative Party opponent, Doug Hoffman, has seen a groundswell of support among conservatives and national Republicans. Today, she bows out of the race.
    Scozzafava bows out of NY 23 race

Republican Dede Scozzafava announced Saturday that she is suspending her campaign in the Nov. 3 House special election in New York, a dramatic development that increases the GOP's chances of winning the contentious and closely-watched race.

"In recent days, polls have indicated that my chances of winning this election are not as strong as we would like them to be. The reality that I've come to accept is that in today's political arena, you must be able to back up your message with money—and as I've been outspent on both sides, I've been unable to effectively address many of the charges that have been made about my record,” she said in a statement.

“It is increasingly clear that pressure is mounting on many of my supporters to shift their support. Consequently, I hereby release those individuals who have endorsed and supported my campaign to transfer their support as they see fit to do so. I am and have always been a proud Republican.”

Her decision came as a Siena Research Institute poll released Saturday confirmed that her support has all but collapsed over the last month. In her statement, Scozzafava acknowledged that while her name will continue to appear on the ballot, “victory is unlikely.”

The Siena poll conducted Oct. 27-29, in line with other recent polls, showed Democrat Bill Owens holding a razor-thin lead over Conservative Party nominee Doug Hoffman, 36 percent to 35 percent.

Scozzafava trailed far behind at 20 percent, with 9 percent of voters still undecided.

The National Republican Congressional Committee will now be throwing its support to Hoffman, after endorsing Scozzafava and deriding the Conservative Party candidate in statements throughout much of the race.

The fortunes of Scozzafava and Hoffman had nearly flipped over the last month as national attention focused on the upstate New York race, which has become a rallying point for grassroots conservatives.

Conservatives have assert that Scozzafava, a GOP establishment-backed state assemblywoman who supports abortion rights and gay marriage, is far too liberal for them to support and numerous prominent GOP figures have recently endorsed Hoffman.

Scozzafava, who in the beginning of the month was the frontrunner with a 7-point lead over Owens in an Oct. 1 Siena poll, saw her support crater while Hoffman surged from a distant third place to a virtual tie in the polls with Owens.

With Scozzafava slipping in the polls and her candidacy dividing the GOP, national Republicans began hedging their bets on her campaign and have recently signaled that they would no longer actively resist Hoffman’s candidacy.

National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Pete Sessions (R-Texas) told POLITICO Thursday that he would welcome Hoffman “with open arms.” On Friday, Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele told POLITICO that a Hoffman victory is essentially a Republican Party victory.

“You’ve got two Republicans running in that race. My upside is that one of them will likely win,” Steele said. “We want to be supporting the one that wins.”

“He would be very welcome, with open arms,” Sessions told POLITICO in an interview off the House floor.

The decision to suspend her campaign is a boost for Hoffman, who already had the support of 50 percent of GOP voters, according to a newly-released Siena poll, and is now well-positioned to win over the 25 percent of Republicans who had been sticking with Scozzafava.

One Republican strategist familiar with the race said Scozzafava’s departure from the race significantly increased the GOP’s chances of holding the seat left vacant by the resignation of GOP Rep. John McHugh.

“Republicans and Independents will now be able to unite behind one candidacy. Dede's last base of support was among Republican loyalists. They likely overwhelmingly switch to Hoffman,” the strategist said. “As a practical matter, this lets the GOTV operations of two campaigns merge into one - makes a huge mechanical difference in a special election.”

Hoffman echoed that sentiment in a statement Saturday.

“This morning’s events prove what we have said for the last week; this campaign is a horserace between me and Nancy Pelosi’s handpicked candidate, Bill Owens. At this moment, the Democratic Party, the Working Families Party, ACORN, Big Labor and pro-abortion groups are flooding the district with troops and they are flooding the airwaves with a million dollars worth of negative ads. They are throwing mud; they are trying to stop me,” he said. “It’s time for us to send a message to Washington—we’re sick and tired of big-spending, high-taxing, career politicians and by voting for me on Tuesday you will send that message loud and clear.”

Recognizing that a two-candidate race increased the chances that Republicans would hold on to the seat, a senior Democrat said the party will work to get Scozzafava to endorse Owens in an attempt to pick up some of her moderate supporters.

"If we don't get her on board we lose," said the Democrat.

Another senior Democrat said it the situation is still too fluid to come to any conclusions.

"Unpredictable this late – she's a very well known elected official and she remains on the ballot so she'll likely pull some votes but it's hard to say how many," the official said.
    Scozzafava bows out of NY-23 race - Charles Mahtesian - POLITICO.com
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

That is very good news for the right, but I think Scozzafava was unfairly painted with a liberal brush. Gay marriage is simply a non-issue to distract from real problems like over spending, waffling on A-stan and the Obama/Reid/Pelosi triangle of corruption.

Comment

I think it's horible news for republicans. All moderate republicans will be under assault next year. A party that is an extreme isnt one that wins on a national level. Gingrich was right about the congressman representing the district. Hoffman might actually be beatable after a few hardline votes.
      Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
      ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Well, she is now endorsing the Democrat. It is doubtful that all of those who were voting for her will now vote for the Democrat, especially given some of his positions. She was getting mileage simply because of her party affiliation. All things being equal, I would bet on Hoffman winning this traditionally conservative region.
        http://groundpoundingtruth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
          I think it's horible news for republicans. All moderate republicans will be under assault next year. A party that is an extreme isnt one that wins on a national level. Gingrich was right about the congressman representing the district. Hoffman might actually be beatable after a few hardline votes.
          When the conservatives preach conservatism they win, when they abandon it they lose. Those are the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
            When the conservatives preach conservatism they win, when they abandon it they lose. Those are the facts.
            well, if that were the case a conservative would be President. There's always at least one running.
            ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Scozzafava is what would be considered a liberal Republican, and recently here Conservative Party opponent, Doug Hoffman, has seen a groundswell of support among conservatives and national Republicans. Today, she bows out of the race.

Scozzafava bows out of NY-23 race - Charles Mahtesian - POLITICO.com
              APPLAUSE! Who ever said she wasn't a good Republican? Newt?

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                well, if that were the case a conservative would be President. There's always at least one running.
                McCain was conservative? You, sir, are funny.

Comment

Originally posted by pate View Post
                  McCain was conservative? You, sir, are funny.
                  At one time his views were considered conservative. I was referring to his primary opponents he defeated.
                  ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Uncivil War: Conservatives to challenge a dozen GOP candidates - Charles Mahtesian and Alex Isenstadt - POLITICO.com
                    Well so far all ths trend has done is give the democrats a filibuster proof majority. I think it's likely to give them a florida win as well which they wouldn't of gotten otherwise
                    ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

I'm pretty shocked by the vitriol leveled at Scozzafava by members of her own party. Truly first class scumbagging if I've ever seen it. If anything, I would imagine this further strains relations between moderates and conservatives in the party, and will probably help the Independent cause, which by this point is gaining momentum from disgusted refugees from both parties.
                      You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Vitriol? This was purely an "issues" issue. The list is quite long as to why the people of the party didn't want her as a candidate.

This should be looked upon by all people from both sides as a victory. The leaders from the right got smacked down by their supporters. If the left (and right) would do the same we wouldn't have so many wacko's in leadership positions.
                        Below are some of the leftists issues Scozza supported:

For one thing, Deidre "Dede" Scozzafava isn't a typical Republican. She supports cap-and-trade anti-global warming legislation, the $787 billion Obama stimulus plan, and state-sanctioned gay marriage.

she is a strong supporter of federal "card check" legislation that would force private-sector employers to recognize a union as the sole collective-bargaining agent if a union organizing drive at a given work site generates signatures indicating more than 50 percent of affected workers want to join. Even by moderate Republican standards, in other words, she's on the left.

Working Families Party. ACORN activist Steven Kest (in picture, foreground) launched the party in 1998 with the help of a pair of unions, the Communications Workers of America (CWA) and the United Automobile Workers (UAW). The Working Families Party is wholly owned by ACORN all but in name.

In addition to her Working Families Party connections, she works part-time as an adviser to RBC Dain Rauscher, a Watertown-based investment firm. She also has ties to the financially-troubled Seaway Capital Partners, which is operated by her brother, Tom, and has nearly $200,000 in tax liens on it. One of Seaway's holdings is Hackett's Department Stores, where Mrs. Scozzafava is listed as chief operating officer.

she supports gay marriage and abortion rights.
                        and there are more

Vitiriol button off

Comment

Originally posted by freefornow View Post
                          Vitriol? This was purely an "issues" issue. The list is quite long as to why the people of the party didn't want her as a candidate.
                          True, it is an 'issues' issue, but as in so many cases, mouthpieces like ol' pill poppin Rush Limbaugh stating crap like "Moderates by definition have no principles" in regards to her position, and that she's "guilty of widespread bestiality" for screwing RINO's countrywide only serve to polarize and draw lines in the sand that do not need to be there.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think she is a good candidate. Her godawful poll numbers before any of this came down the pipe only back up the fact that she had no chance of winning this, and her immediate flip to support the dems only backs up allegations that she herself has no strength in her convictions.

I am just amazed at the immediate smear and discrediting campaign launched against all moderates in the party by the conservatives at a time when the party should be uniting against a common enemy.
                          You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by freefornow View Post

This should be looked upon by all people from both sides as a victory. The leaders from the right got smacked down by their supporters. If the left (and right) would do the same we wouldn't have so many wacko's in leadership positions.
                            Below are some of the leftists issues Scozza supported:

For one thing, Deidre "Dede" Scozzafava isn't a typical Republican. She supports cap-and-trade anti-global warming legislation, the $787 billion Obama stimulus plan, and state-sanctioned gay marriage.

she is a strong supporter of federal "card check" legislation that would force private-sector employers to recognize a union as the sole collective-bargaining agent if a union organizing drive at a given work site generates signatures indicating more than 50 percent of affected workers want to join. Even by moderate Republican standards, in other words, she's on the left.

Working Families Party. ACORN activist Steven Kest (in picture, foreground) launched the party in 1998 with the help of a pair of unions, the Communications Workers of America (CWA) and the United Automobile Workers (UAW). The Working Families Party is wholly owned by ACORN all but in name.

In addition to her Working Families Party connections, she works part-time as an adviser to RBC Dain Rauscher, a Watertown-based investment firm. She also has ties to the financially-troubled Seaway Capital Partners, which is operated by her brother, Tom, and has nearly $200,000 in tax liens on it. One of Seaway's holdings is Hackett's Department Stores, where Mrs. Scozzafava is listed as chief operating officer.

she supports gay marriage and abortion rights.
                            and there are more

Vitiriol button off
                            Just a tip. If you are cutting & pasting something you didn't write:

a) use the nifty little 'quote' button to tell us it wasn't you

b) a link or reference would be nice.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Actually it was the national party not the local one tthat killed her. She is a typical NE republican.
                              ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                              X