PDA

View Full Version : Rugby

tankie
31 Oct 09,, 16:55
Watching the chainshakers V Poms , the ozzies are 16 up in 20 minutes , looks like a thrashing on the cards from the old enemy :frown:

tankie
31 Oct 09,, 18:19
Well the Poms came back in the 2nd half , were totally outplayed in the 1st half but returned the compliment in the 2nd half , 26 16 to the chainrattlers , i have to admit they were brill in the 1st half , well played V :biggrin:

Knaur Amarsh
31 Oct 09,, 19:06
Well decent folks don't watch rugby but we just defeated the Ozzies in Cricket ..... again :))

Bigfella
02 Nov 09,, 10:09
Well decent folks don't watch rugby but we just defeated the Ozzies in Cricket ..... again :))

True enough about Rugby.

As for ODIs, we save ourselves for tournaments (4 World Cups & 2 Champion's trophys at last count). :))

Knaur Amarsh
02 Nov 09,, 10:18
As for ODIs, we save ourselves for tournaments (4 World Cups & 2 Champion's trophys at last count). :))

Why you smug li'l .... heh :))

Watching the match right now? :)

Bigfella
02 Nov 09,, 13:47

No pay TV.

To be honest, I lost interest in 50 over a side ODIs almost 20 years ago. Apart from proper competitions I find them a bit tedious. Really a test cricket man myself. For 'hit & giggle' I prefer T20. More 'bang for your buck. If ODIs are on TV I'll jump in & out, but no more than that.

There are still too many meaningless cricket matches being played, and we all know where that has led ion the past. My bet is that ODIs will slowly give way to T20 except for the World Cup & Champions League. These sort of one off series unconnected to a test tour should go. Just wears down players & diminished the worth of matches IMHO.

tankie
02 Nov 09,, 13:50
True enough about Rugby.

Like the Ashes ya mean :P

tankie
02 Nov 09,, 13:52

Watching TV , shouldnt you be out n about shaking sticks into the bushes to chase out the tigers for us great white hunter poms to shoot :P:))

Bigfella
02 Nov 09,, 14:17
Like the Ashes ya mean :P

Well if we don't let you blokes win once in a while you'll throw a sulk. Look at what's happened to the Windies.:biggrin:

tankie
02 Nov 09,, 14:28
Mods , can ya change the title from rugby to cricket , thing is tho B/F ,,WHEN your team actually wins the ashes , they only get a substitute as we the UK keep the original , and at the mo its alongside the sub , ha ,how dya likes them eggs ,, baby :biggrin:

Bigfella
02 Nov 09,, 15:32
Mods , can ya change the title from rugby to cricket , thing is tho B/F ,,WHEN your team actually wins the ashes , they only get a substitute as we the UK keep the original , and at the mo its alongside the sub , ha ,how dya likes them eggs ,, baby :biggrin:

Like I said Tankie, we like to throw you blokes a bone now & then. No sunshine; dodgy sporting teams; so close to the French - truth is we feel a bit sorry for you all. The least we can do is leave the little urn at Lords for you to stare at.:))

Knaur Amarsh
02 Nov 09,, 15:56
Watching TV , shouldnt you be out n about shaking sticks into the bushes to chase out the tigers for us great white hunter poms to shoot :P:))

Aye Your Excellency, but how will you ever climb up to the howda on your wheelchair? :tongue:

Knaur Amarsh
02 Nov 09,, 16:05
No pay TV.

To be honest, I lost interest in 50 over a side ODIs almost 20 years ago. Apart from proper competitions I find them a bit tedious. Really a test cricket man myself. For 'hit & giggle' I prefer T20. More 'bang for your buck. If ODIs are on TV I'll jump in & out, but no more than that.

I hear you, test matches are the best no doubt, specially since these days there's some aggressive test cricket being played with most matches ending in results (got to credit Steve Waugh's team for making that trend mainstream), I remember in school days test cricket was only for watching strokeplay and classic deliveries, but you couldn't watch the whole thing as it got too boring after a while unless you were a real big fan.

Personally I prefer ODI's to T20 really, same reason why tests are more fun tha ODI's, but I got to admit I rather like the IPL and CL20, gives you something or the other to watch the whole year with a domestic team in the tournament, an element which is missing for foreigners in county cricket.

No pay tv needed here btw :)) They telecast the matches on the national channel, and for real hit and giggle cricket, remember those six-a-side matches :cool:

rj1
05 Nov 09,, 15:48
I see this thread has shifted. :))

About to finish my first season playing rugby union. My team's put me on the wing position and I've managed to improve myself from clueless and struggling to keep up to a serviceable B-side player that can occasionally do something good. :))

Parihaka
05 Nov 09,, 20:46
I see this thread has shifted. :))

About to finish my first season playing rugby union. My team's put me on the wing position and I've managed to improve myself from clueless and struggling to keep up to a serviceable B-side player that can occasionally do something good. :))
Good lad, we'll take over the world eventually.........

BTW, if you or some of your team-mates are very serious about it, approach your sponsors about this..... (http://www.internationalrugbyacademy.com/united-states/)

Don't worry about the smarmy looking feller in the photo, he's o.k. once you get to know him...

Kernow
05 Nov 09,, 23:23
I hear you, test matches are the best no doubt, specially since these days there's some aggressive test cricket being played with most matches ending in results (got to credit Steve Waugh's team for making that trend mainstream), I remember in school days test cricket was only for watching strokeplay and classic deliveries, but you couldn't watch the whole thing as it got too boring after a while unless you were a real big fan.

Personally I prefer ODI's to T20 really, same reason why tests are more fun tha ODI's, but I got to admit I rather like the IPL and CL20, gives you something or the other to watch the whole year with a domestic team in the tournament, an element which is missing for foreigners in county cricket.

No pay tv needed here btw :)) They telecast the matches on the national channel, and for real hit and giggle cricket, remember those six-a-side matches :cool:

There you go, read and weep.

BBC SPORT | Cricket | India lose despite Tendulkar ton (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/8344923.stm)

Knaur Amarsh
06 Nov 09,, 06:37
There you go, read and weep.

BBC SPORT | Cricket | India lose despite Tendulkar ton (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/8344923.stm)

No need to read, saw the whole bloody thing till the last ball didn't I :(

Bigfella
06 Nov 09,, 06:46
No need to read, saw the whole bloody thing till the last ball didn't I :(

Not bad for an Aussie team with so many injured.

Knaur Amarsh
06 Nov 09,, 06:53
Not bad for an Aussie team with so many injured.

Absolutely, 5 down if I am right? Entertaining match mind, same as the one we lost by 4 earlier as well, just the way I like my ODI's, well except the losing part.

Personally thought Watson deserved MoM btw, Ponting seems to be front-running for MoS innit.

Bigfella
06 Nov 09,, 07:03
Absolutely, 5 down if I am right? Entertaining match mind, same as the one we lost by 4 earlier as well, just the way I like my ODI's, well except the losing part.

Personally thought Watson deserved MoM btw, Ponting seems to be front-running for MoS innit.

Yes, I believe it is 5 down. Some of the replacements they are flying out now are people even I haven't heard of.

I didn't get details, did Watson not get MoM? 90 odd runs & 3 wickets in a winning team. Harsh judges!

Knaur Amarsh
06 Nov 09,, 07:16
Yes, I believe it is 5 down. Some of the replacements they are flying out now are people even I haven't heard of.

I didn't get details, did Watson not get MoM? 90 odd runs & 3 wickets in a winning team. Harsh judges!

No, Tendulkar got it for his 175, fab knock but I am of the school that believes in the winning cause thing, Marsh made 112 off 112 too but Watson was the chap who won the match I'd say, specially his last over huh ;)

Bigfella
06 Nov 09,, 08:28
No, Tendulkar got it for his 175, fab knock but I am of the school that believes in the winning cause thing, Marsh made 112 off 112 too but Watson was the chap who won the match I'd say, specially his last over huh ;)

Agreed.

I am also of the school that thinks that the performance of bowlers is criminally underrated when handing out awards. His partnership with Marsh set up the win & his bowling helped to bring it home. Picked up 2 dangerous batsmen & a handy tailender. If Yuvraj had got a start it would have been game over. Sachin played one of the great innings, but in the context of the match I think Watson got dudded.

bigross86
06 Nov 09,, 11:06
To put the thread slightly back on topic, when I was in New Zealand last year I was introduced to the joys of Rugby Union and have come to the conclusion that Rugby Union is in fact far superior to American football. I now support two teams: The All Blacks, and anyone playing Australia...

That being said, I will admit that the NFL (and my beloved NY Giants) still have 2 saving graces. The first being the quarterback, and his ability to throw forward. Despite all the padding, it still adds an interesting element to a game as opposed to just throwing backwards. The second being that, as opposed to rugby, even if you don't have the ball, you can still get the crap beaten out of you.

After everything is said and done, I still enjoy watching the All Blacks give the Wallabies a thrashing every now and again, and last week's game in Japan was sheer brilliance on the Kiwi's part.

Parihaka
06 Nov 09,, 11:49
To put the thread slightly back on topic, when I was in New Zealand last year I was introduced to the joys of Rugby Union and have come to the conclusion that Rugby Union is in fact far superior to American football. I now support two teams: The All Blacks, and anyone playing Australia...

That being said, I will admit that the NFL (and my beloved NY Giants) still have 2 saving graces. The first being the quarterback, and his ability to throw forward. Despite all the padding, it still adds an interesting element to a game as opposed to just throwing backwards. The second being that, as opposed to rugby, even if you don't have the ball, you can still get the crap beaten out of you.

After everything is said and done, I still enjoy watching the All Blacks give the Wallabies a thrashing every now and again, and last week's game in Japan was sheer brilliance on the Kiwi's part.

May I introduce you all to our latest honorary New Zealander:)

rj1
06 Nov 09,, 17:00

My team was discussing this after our game this past weekend. The thing that would kill the NFL players is fitness as the game is more constant, but that can be developed just through practice. I think you could teach them the skills necessary for the game that are not in the NFL and they would pick it up after a couple months of practice.

bigross86
08 Nov 09,, 02:57
The main difference between a Rugby player and an NFL player is specialties. a Rugby player is a jack of all trades, an NFL player is a king of one. If you put an NFL player on a rugby pitch and have him start running, tackling, falling back and repeating over and over again, most of them will collapse fairly quickly. However, if you take a rugby player and have him try and get through a linebacker in order to tackle the quarterback, the linebacker will stop him short. A rugby player trains in order to be able to do all of the above, and be good enough in all of them to pose a threat to the other team. An NFL player trains to be the best possible in his position. For example, in Superbowl XLIII (2009) after the Linebacker James Harrison returned a 100 yard interception for a touchdown you could see him sitting there sucking on an oxygen mask. He was not built for running that fast that far. He was built for standing there.

Kernow
08 Nov 09,, 21:02
I remember when serving in Germany we were on an Exchange with the US, and one Saturday we challenged them to a game of Rugby, they were Gob Smacked when they found that there wasn't any padding available, needless to say they didn't enjoy the game too much. The next day we took part in American football and took to it like Ducks to Water, really liked the idea of trashing someone when they haven't got the ball, legalised violence.

tankie
08 Nov 09,, 21:03
I remember when serving in Germany we were on an Exchange with the US, and one Saturday we challenged them to a game of Rugby, they were Gob Smacked when they found that there wasn't any padding available, needless to say they didn't enjoy the game too much. The next day we took part in American football and took to it like Ducks to Water, really liked the idea of trashing someone when they haven't got the ball, legalised violence.

:biggrin::biggrin:

crooks
15 Nov 09,, 15:45
Great Autumn international today - Ireland vs Oz.

Champions of the North vs Brutes of the South :)):P (don't kill me BF;)).

tankie
21 Nov 09,, 20:09
:biggrin::biggrin: hey B/F , Furky , sweatysocks (jocks ) 9 , chainshakers , 8 :biggrin::biggrin:

Parihaka
21 Nov 09,, 20:44
England encouraged by defeat (http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/england-encouraged-defeat-3171379) :rolleyes: Nere a truer word spoken:))

tankie
21 Nov 09,, 20:46
England encouraged by defeat (http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/england-encouraged-defeat-3171379) :rolleyes: Nere a truer word spoken:))

Ho ho ####### ho :))

Parihaka
21 Nov 09,, 20:47
Ohhhhh, beaten by the Jocks:eek: