This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is cell phone a right?

Some say health care is a right. I disagree.

I proposed that if health care is a right, then food, clothing, shelter, education, communication, and job, are all "rights."

I was only kidding.

Little did I know some people actually believe communication is a "right."

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/home.aspx

Lifeline Assistance is part of a program that was created by the government to provide discounted or free telephone service to income-eligible consumers. To help bring you this important benefit, SafeLink Wireless is proud to offer Lifeline Service. Through our Lifeline Service you will receive FREE cellular service, a FREE cell phone, and FREE Minutes every month! SafeLink Wireless Service does not cost anything – there are no contracts, no recurring fees and no monthly charges.

Any Minutes you do not use will roll-over. Features such as caller ID, call waiting and voicemail are all also included with your service. If you need additional Minutes, you can buy TracFone Airtime Cards at any TracFone retailer Walmart, Walgreens, Family Dollar, etc). SafeLink Airtime Cards will be available soon.

Your exact benefits, including the number of free Minutes you will receive, depend on the state you live in. Please enter your ZIP code to get the details for your state.
    When will this shit stop?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

^^^ Shortly after the Huns invade from the north, I suspect.
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Damn commie Reagan;) what were they thinking in 84?
      Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
      ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

I don't think Reagan was handing out $4,000 phones to poor people in 1984....
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
          I don't think Reagan was handing out $4,000 phones to poor people in 1984....
          it was a subsidized phone service for the poor then and it is now Saving on Phone Bills: Link-Up and Lifeline Assistance up to 12 bucks a month. the goal when started was to get a phone in every household
          Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
          ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

A cell in every house eh? Time to quit my job and learn how to remove brain tumors!
            You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

It's an attempt to help the unemployed find jobs. Most places absolutely will not hire you if you don't have a phone they can reach you at.
              At no point did the article name a phone as a right.
              As to the other things Gunnut mentions. Food, Shelter, health care etc.. At the most basic level those should be rights. No one in an advanced nation should ever go without food or basic shelter and clothing and if everyone had access to basic healthcare and preventative medicine it would save a fortune. Emergency Rooms are by far the most expensive form of health care.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeolusdallas View Post
                It's an attempt to help the unemployed find jobs. Most places absolutely will not hire you if you don't have a phone they can reach you at.
                At no point did the article name a phone as a right.
                As to the other things Gunnut mentions. Food, Shelter, health care etc.. At the most basic level those should be rights. No one in an advanced nation should ever go without food or basic shelter and clothing and if everyone had access to basic healthcare and preventative medicine it would save a fortune. Emergency Rooms are by far the most expensive form of health care.
                Awesome!!! Get those programs set up and I'll quit my job. What else do I really need? The government has provided pretty much everything for me. Better yet, the government will provide me with a job. Only then can we truly have equality.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  Awesome!!! Get those programs set up and I'll quit my job. What else do I really need? The government has provided pretty much everything for me. Better yet, the government will provide me with a job. Only then can we truly have equality.
                  I would assume that personal ambition and capability would push you to seek more than basic survival. Some people however do need the help and just letting them die when they could easily be saved is incredibly immoral and short sited. After all social programs were put in place to prevent outright revolution by the working poor.

Comment

Hmmmm......this concept sounds strangely familiar.......along with "From each according to his ability,to each according to his needs...."
                    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Aeolusdallas View Post
                      I would assume that personal ambition and capability would push you to seek more than basic survival. Some people however do need the help and just letting them die when they could easily be saved is incredibly immoral and short sited. After all social programs were put in place to prevent outright revolution by the working poor.
                      I have ambitions, so does everyone else. But you take away the incentives to work when you take a large portion of my labor away to feed some other people's less ambitious life.

What prevents the working poor from revolting is the opportunity at getting out of it by working hard.

Social programs are put in place to keep the poor sated with minimal sustenance. It's like feeding a hippie weed to keep him docile.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                        Hmmmm......this concept sounds strangely familiar.......along with "From each according to his ability,to each according to his needs...."
                        We will see enlightenment when our nation has discarded our wasteful consumption ways and embraced the philosophy of brotherly love and working for the common good. ;)

Comment

...better yet, the government will provide me with a job. Only then can we truly have equality.
                          Gunnut, I find work demeaning.

It f*cks with my harmony and therefore lowers my self-esteem.

So I'll happily take all those handouts, but please don't ask me to do anything productive for them. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                            exactly, sounds just like USSR.

government big enough to provide you with everything you need, is strong enough to take everything away.
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Rumrunner, I just read that cordless phones might be worse than cell phones for us... might have to go back to phones with cords.

Comment

Working...
                              X