• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it called CEC?

On the Previously Reactivated BBs the CIC was moved up to o2 level
    Uparmored
    and renamed CEC Combat Engagement Center

Why was it renamed, that why didnt they just call it a CIC or AIC?

Anybody Help?

Originally posted by petsan View Post
    On the Previously Reactivated BBs the CIC was moved up to o2 level
    Uparmored
    and renamed CEC Combat Engagement Center

Why was it renamed, that why didnt they just call it a CIC or AIC?

Anybody Help?
    CIC (Combat INFORMATION Center) was retained on board the ships well down into the armored box of the hull.

CEC (Combat ENGAGEMENT Center) was designed so the ship's Captain could have eyeball contact and direct communications without being too far from the bridge.

And, it was armored. I directed the designs, calculated the weights and made sure 1.5" of HY-80 steel was not only all around the space but also around all piping and electrical trunks serving the space.

The top photo shows the bulkhead cutouts so the heavy armor plate (61.2 lbs per square foot) could be welded on the inside for 100% attachment as well as the outside.

The bottom photo shows one of the 1 1/2" thick armored doors going into CEC.
    Attached Files
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Some heavier armour.....

The battlebridge ( ? correct term ? ) was serious about armour on BB's ;)
      Attached Files
      " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

The Conning tower. 17.3" Class B armor. The primary steering station.;)
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
          The battlebridge ( ? correct term ? ) was serious about armour on BB's ;)
          If you buy my book, you will see those (and other armor photos) in it. As well as all kinds of other photos and diagrams. For example, it includes the arrangement differences of CEC between the New Jersey and the Missouri and explains what else was there as well.

Comment

appears I'd better place an order...

Is the photo of the amored Conning Tower [that starts on Deck 3 ? ] also referred to as the "Flying Bridge" when you arrive at the highest elevation of the bank vault like cylinder?
            " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

I believe you are referring to the open navigation bridge. Its on the 04 level just forward of the Conning tower or (Spot 1).
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                If you buy my book, you will see those (and other armor photos) in it. As well as all kinds of other photos and diagrams. For example, it includes the arrangement differences of CEC between the New Jersey and the Missouri and explains what else was there as well.
                bought the book on monday
                cant wait to get it

Comment

Hey Rusty
                  Awesome photos
                  I thought you guys just welded 1.5" HY-80 over the existing .75 STS,
                  on the outer bulkheads ......but in the first pic the .75 STS was removed

I thought STS (even though it was thinner) was alot harder than HY-80
                  and could withstand more PSI what i understood to be 110,000 PSI on the STS

and the HY-80 being 80,000 PSI

just wondering? why didnt they just leave the old STS in place, and overlay HY-80 on top?
                  Last edited by petsan; 23 Oct 09,, 00:42.

Comment

Link to the book?

Comment

Click the yellow banner at the top of the page, that is Rusty's book. "History of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard"
                      Ordered mine 2 days ago. Free shipping at Amazon.com

Comment

Don't you have two books out? If so, what's the other one, and how can one find it?

Comment

Originally posted by petsan View Post
                          bought the book on monday
                          cant wait to get it
                          Was supposed to cut the grass today....
                          but UPS just dropped off Rustys yellow book...

GUYS, YA GOTTA GET THIS BOOK
                          SO MANY QUESTIONS I HAD ARE NOW ANSWERED

AWESOME BOOK
                          sorry for the caps
                          a little excited
                          and no i did not cut the grass
                          maybe Friday
                          this book is very THICK lots of pages and pics

Thanks Rusty
                          Great work :)

Comment

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                            Don't you have two books out? If so, what's the other one, and how can one find it?
                            No. Only the one so far though I've been a contributor to other books including Paul Stilwell's book on the Missouri and Max Newhart on his book of U.S. Battleships.

I'm thinking of resurrecting a science fiction story I started working on about 45 years ago.

Comment

I'm thinking of resurrecting a science fiction story I started working on about 45 years ago.
                              Ya mean the one about the wide-eyed lad from Wisconsin who gets
                              a job as an apprentice at the local shipyard and works his way up
                              the ladder until he retires, and then writes a book?

Comment

Working...
                              X