X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Demographic invasion biggest threat to Indi

'Demographic invasion biggest threat to India'

Sanjay Singh / New Delhi

After Ayodhya movement and its subsequent success, the BJP think tanks now set to turn the heat on the issue of infiltration from Bangladesh in the East.

At its National Council meeting here on Wednesday, the BJP gave a decisive indication that the issue of religious demographic imbalance would be taken up in no uncertain terms.

LK Advani urged the Government to repeal the IMDT Act(Illegal Migrants-Determination By Tribunal),1984, and convene an all- party meeting to discuss all aspects of Bangladeshi infiltration with a view to evolve a national consensus to deal with the problem.

The party think tanks feel that the issue would not only help the organisation getting an edge over its rivals in the North East, but would also enable it getting a bigger political mileage in the region.

Describing the growing demographic imbalance as a major concern, the BJP said it would organise "Save Assam" campaign and press for deletion of IMDT Act. Incidentally, the move will well coincide with next round of assembly elections due in Assam and West Bengal - the states suffered most due to relentless infiltration across the border. And the BJP does not have major presence in these states.

Apparently, the BJP chief LK Advani who took pride in undertaking the Ram Rath Yatra from Somnath - which made them both popular and gave them strength - now wants to focus on the "demographic invasion". Interestingly, both Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee more than once blamed Bangladesh forr not putting a stop to infiltration across the border.

"Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it. Our party views with utmost concern the sudden and growing religious imbalance in the population of border districts of Assam and West Bengal. This is not a natural phenomenon but a direct outcome of the demographic invasion. Only those who choose to be blind for nefariously selfish reasons cannot see the manifest threat to democratic process in the state and to security and integrity of India. How can we forget that at the time of partition of certain parts of Assam and Bengal, which ought to have remained in India, were included in East Pakistan solely on the considerations of religious demography," Mr Advani said driving his point home.

"Sadly, the Congress party in its present avatar, and its pseudo secular allies like the Communists have refused to acknowledge this threat even though many people in their ranks privately admit it. Their refusal is purely on account of vote-bank politics. The most shocking manifestation came when the Census Commissioner made some worrisome disclosure about sharp imbalance in the religious demography of Assam. Instead of examining the reasons, the Congress-Communists combine forced the census commissioner withdraw his statement. I charge that by enslaving themselves to the politics of minorityism, they are extending a tacit invitation to more infiltration," he said.

The party views that if the rapidly changing religious demography in certain parts of Assam, West Bengal and the rest of the north-east is not immediately checked and reversed then it could even lead to another partition of India.

On centenary of partition of Bengal in 1905, Mr Advani sought to caution people citing Shri Aurobindo's writing in journal Bande Mantarm where he had said "the British Government professedly wanted to create a Muslim province with Dacca as its Capital and the evident object of it was to sow discord between Hindus and Muslims in a province that had never known it in history". Creation of Islamic Bangladesh later became a reality.

Source: http://dailypioneer.com/indexn12.asp...&counter_img=4

My Opinion: Sadly, I would have to say I agree with the author. The demographies are rabidly changing in the US southwest, which is a threat to the country as a whole. I think the BJP will do a better job in slowing down illegal Bangaldeshi immigrants. However, India needs to do something that the US doesn't do. The best way to stop illegal immigration from Bangladesh is to aid Bangladesh economically. Wasn't there going to be a fence at the border anyway?

The bargirls in Mumbai and the prostitutes out there are a majority from Bangladesh as per a TV report.

Illegal immigrants doing an 'illegal' profession!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The looney leftists in Bengal - what have they been doing these thirty odd years? And now they hold influence on the centre.The sooner that these leftists are wiped out, the better.

The BJP's ideas are often dismissed as communal, without even reading what they say. They are right on this. Demographic threats.

Comment

The BJP is needed to have balance. Like the US, the democratic and republican parties balance each other out to a certain extent.

Comment

Originally posted by amit
          ... Sadly, I would have to say I agree with the author. The demographies are rabidly changing in the US southwest, which is a threat to the country as a whole.
          Why do you think this is a threat to the country as a whole? The US is a country of immigrants- it's a strength, not a weakness. You are an immigrant yourself- how would you feel if people in California started saying that Asians were a threat to the country? I agree there is a problem with border security, and there are a lot of criminals coming here from Mexico and Latin America (and other places), but attempting to maintain a "demographic balance" is not the answer- it only encourages racism.

Originally posted by amit
          Like the US, the democratic and republican parties balance each other out to a certain extent.
          But on political grounds, not religious or ethnic ones. Singling out any religious/ethnic group for favor or disfavor is ultimately a recipe for intolerance/racism. Look at KSA for an example. Would you want to be a Christian living there? Or a muslim living in Israel? How about a Jew living in WW2 Germany?

There is no place for xenophobia in a modern state, west or east. Nothing good has ever come from that attitude, and political parties that play to religious differences only serve to divide the population.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Highseas,

India was divided because of religion.

People who chose to go away now cannot return (that too ILLEGALLY) just because the country they thought they ahd created was a land of milk and honey has become a failure.

The comparison pf US and India is flawed. The history is different and India is not a land of immigrants unless you go down history to a very long period in time.

We were one people. Some decided to make their own country based on religion. So be it.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
              Highseas,

India was divided because of religion.
              I understand that Sir, but look where it has left you.
              Originally posted by Ray
              People who chose to go away now cannot return (that too ILLEGALLY) just because the country they thought they ahd created was a land of milk and honey has become a failure.
              So the alternative is what? Unrest, illegal immigration, crime, growing animosity, xenophobia perpetuated by the political parties? Are decisions made in the past irrevocable? Why?
              Originally posted by Ray
              The comparison pf US and India is flawed. The history is different and India is not a land of immigrants unless you go down history to a very long period in time.
              The comparison was Amit's, not mine. My argument is only for religious and racial tolerance. I read Amit's posts, and I see that he has imported his prejudices to my country- this is not helpful, and I try to make him see why.
              Originally posted by Ray
              We were one people. Some decided to make their own country based on religion. So be it.
              So India must follow in their footsteps? Let their mistakes be theirs- there is no reason India has to do the same. If India promotes religious tolerance, maybe those other countries will follow India's lead. If India holds a grudge, well, so will the others. I know I don't have to lecture you on the importance of leading by example, so I apologize if I am coming on too strong. No disrespect intended. :)
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Highsea,

The Moslems wanted the Partition. They achieved it. I won't say that it has been a delightful thing to have happened.

India is a very large country with poverty still there. Others are poorer than us. We cannot add to our poverty.

Our country is a secular country and sensitive to all religions. If Moslems from Bangaldesh come in hordes, it will change the demographic pattern. There might come a time, when the Moslems will become the majority. Then India may become a Islamic state and the secular people (the descendants of the original population at the time of Partition) would come under Koranic laws as in Pakistan. That is the fear, apart from 'importing' poverty. In Assam, the demography is close to a change. The Bengal border has Moslem majority 80% Moslem and 20% Hindus. It was 90% Hindus and 10% Moslem before. Slowly, the Hindus have been eased off their hearth and home.

The US is a land of immigrants, but does it mean that half the Indian population just enters it and they are welcomed there? If it were so then people would not tisk life and limb to secret enter the European countries and the US.

Likewise, illegals are not encouraged.

It is not a question of grudge. It is question of survival.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Every country needs to control it's immigration. So no, 1/2 of all India would not be welcomed. But this is not because we have a fear of Hindus, it's because of the drain on resources/social services, etc. that it would cause. We could care less which particular God a person favors. I say the more, the merrier.

What I don't agree with is the exclusion of a group based on their religion or race. No doubt this view comes from being an American. The town I grew up in had a predominantly Japanese population, but nobody ever considered that it was a threat to their identity. Likewise, Californians don't fear that California will secede and become another Mexico- the complaints are only about the drain on social services, competition for jobs, etc.

It's an issue that every country has to deal with at some level or another- I just get a bad feeling when it gets defined based solely on racial or religious lines. When I hear the argument that India (or Israel, or whoever) is afraid of becoming an Islamic state, I wonder how many muslims really want that- is it really the majority, or a vocal minority? My own experience says the latter, but most of the muslims I know live in the US or Canada, so that may be a bad sample. Obviously the situation in the US can't be compared to India.

Anyway, thank you for your point of view, I will wait to see if Amit wants to tell me why he thinks Mexican immigration is a threat to America. ;)
                  Last edited by highsea; 09 Apr 05,, 23:47.

Comment

OK, I'm not saying that they are a threat. Sorry for making it look like. Hey, have you read about the minuteman project? Their idea is they want to preserve the English language.

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up Amit. :)

I have mixed feelings about the minuteman deal- mainly over the risk that someone could get hurt. But you can't fault them for standing watch over their state. Over half the illegal immigration comes in through Arizona.

But I don't think that the English language is under attack. ;)

I have some different views on the problem than most- I think all illegals should be paid minimum wage or better, and taxed accordingly- take away the financial incentive for the employers to hire illegals, and much of the problem solves itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X