Quote of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote of the day

Here's a thread for folks to post the most witty or original sentence/paragraph of the day on WAB.

A few rules:
    1. The quote must be by an actual WAB member in a different thread (and not just a quote or saying from someone else, e.g., Chris Rock).
    2. Please, only one quote of the day, so if someone else has already posted, then you can save it for another day.
    3. Add a link to the quote in your post - do not award your own post with the quote of the day.
    4. I'm making this up as I go, so if someone else has some rules, feel free to add them :)
    Last edited by Shek; 16 Oct 09,, 11:22. Reason: Updating the "rules"
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

The very first quote of the day, by Albany Rifles:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/682668-post10.html

But the threads are nothing but Dunnigan and staff doing digital masturbation.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Subscribing to this one!! Good idea Maj! AR will be quoted often here i think.:))

Dale has some notable zingers i have noticed as well that i may post soon.;)

Comment

Well, here's a quote from me that I uttered tonight. The dogs were barking and growling violently and got my wife and I VERY concerned. Though it only turned out to be some neighbor walking his (very vocal) dog, we were feeling defensive as our west wall was "Tagged" the night before last. Took me two hours to paint over it.

So, as we got our flashlights I also strapped on my bi-centenial Ruger double action in .357 magnum before going outside. Our neighbor was also concerned about all the racket and noticed I was armed.

Without her asking, I merely quoted, "I treat a gun like I treat a First Aid Kit. It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Rusty,
          I like the quote, but I was kind of envisioning that people use a quote from someone else that was written on the board ;) I'll tighten up the wording on the rules :)
          Last edited by Shek; 16 Oct 09,, 11:22.

Comment

I am sure we can all appreciate the thought, skill, effort and above all, COURAGE, that has gone into this post -

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/682721-post68.html
            When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
              I am sure we can all appreciate the thought, skill, effort and above all, COURAGE, that has gone into this post -

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/682721-post68.html
              Well she,s obviously a fan of someones :))

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                Well, here's a quote from me that I uttered tonight. The dogs were barking and growling violently and got my wife and I VERY concerned. Though it only turned out to be some neighbor walking his (very vocal) dog, we were feeling defensive as our west wall was "Tagged" the night before last. Took me two hours to paint over it.

So, as we got our flashlights I also strapped on my bi-centenial Ruger double action in .357 magnum before going outside. Our neighbor was also concerned about all the racket and noticed I was armed.

Without her asking, I merely quoted, "I treat a gun like I treat a First Aid Kit. It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."
                I actually envision you grabbing your Garand and going outside and telling them to get off your lawn!;)

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                  I actually envision you grabbing your Garand and going outside and telling them to get off your lawn!;)
                  I have no problem with a Garand and I can get it out of is case quickly.

But then I run across four delaying decisions:

1. Should I use my pre-war Springfield mfr Garand or my post-war Harrington and Richardson mfr Grand?

2. Should I use Ball ammo or AP ammo?

3. Which of the 3 bayonets I have that will fit it should I use?

4. Which helmet should I wear? The WW I doughboy or the WW II steel pot with net or the Viet Nam war steel pot with cammo cover or the Kevlar Fritz helmet with cammo cover?

Oops! Forgot the WW II Air Raid Warden's helmet.

Seriously, "my" quote was patterned after a sign on display at a gunshow. I only added in the First Aid kit to qualify having safety or protective items around in case of an emergency.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

7th,

I actually envision you grabbing your Garand and going outside and telling them to get off your lawn!
                    you really liked gran torino, didn't you?
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I have lots of movie quotes. I will need to dig around for one by a WAB member.

Here's one:

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                      I blame him (Bush) for President Obama
                      http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/nav...tml#post679857
                      Last edited by gunnut; 16 Oct 09,, 18:32.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

S2

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/685286-post21.html

EDIT: THIS, btw Merlin, is how it's done. You post an article of note and then add your considerable wizened perspective and commentary to it. Otherwise spare us and just post the damned link.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          7th,

you really liked gran torino, didn't you?
                          Eastwoods most excellent work IMO!:)

Comment

Pari again:

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                            I think the irony in this is soooo strong it almost makes me tingle....

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              personally i wish someone would just blow the twats brains out
                              From who else...;)

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/int...members-9.html
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                              X