Wifi cantennas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifi cantennas

At my place we chip in toward a roommate's internet bill for wifi access, and the internet kept slowing down and dropping randomly. The wireless router was then moved into a common area and hooked up to the cable modem on cable running through a drilled hole in the wall, which helped things enormously. But, my connection still had problems.

Ordered a 15-ft USB extension, made a hole in a one-lb coffee can (somewhat tall with about a 4.5 inch diameter) to make a cantenna, and hooked up the USB wifi stick. Kind of like a long-barreled, straight satellite dish. Pointed it at the wireless router. The strength of the signal improved from -63dBM to -25dBM. An increase of nearly 10,000x.

Pointing it out my bedroom windows I can detect an additional 25 networks. Pretty nifty.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    At my place we chip in toward a roommate's internet bill for wifi access, and the internet kept slowing down and dropping randomly. The wireless router was then moved into a common area and hooked up to the cable modem on cable running through a drilled hole in the wall, which helped things enormously. But, my connection still had problems.

Ordered a 15-ft USB extension, made a hole in a one-lb coffee can (somewhat tall with about a 4.5 inch diameter) to make a cantenna, and hooked up the USB wifi stick. Kind of like a long-barreled, straight satellite dish. Pointed it at the wireless router. The strength of the signal improved from -63dBM to -25dBM. An increase of nearly 10,000x.

Pointing it out my bedroom windows I can detect an additional 25 networks. Pretty nifty.
    That's pretty cool. However...

:))
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
    X