Death of a sports car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of a sports car.

The local club went on a fun run yesterday. It started off great, I got my car back up and running after finding water in the coil pack control module and was able to go. The cruise was via highway 7 with its scenic mountain twisties from Central Arkansas almost all the way to the Missouri border where it was time to turn around and come home. On the way up and back there is a short 6 mile stretch that gives the Pig Trail or Tail Of The Dragon a run for its money for the number of curves per mile. I was #2 in a line of 8 z's a yellow 300zx Z32 was in the lead. As we finished one curve and entered yet another the lead car hit a giant blue plastic tote lid and lost traction. Ricers use trays to slide around in and that might be fun, but not at 55 on a steer wheel in a curve. The nose went for a rock wall and the ass tried to get in the lead- not a good situation. The car plowed up a mostly symbolic ditch and tried to climb the mountain before bouncing back out into the road. I though he was going to flip, but the car stayed rubber side down. When the car bounced up and out the car finally got free of the blue plastic and spit it into the other lane.

meanwhile, I am trying to get stopped without hitting him- walls work better than brakes at slowing forward momentum. I went for the ditch (not in it) and a black 85 turbo went left and people started piling up behind us. Luckily we all had just enough room to get stopped before climbing anyone rear bumper.

We all jump out and I run for the driver, who was luckily unhurt other than a now broken heart. I start yelling at my wife to get away from the area and telling others to go slow down traffic. Luckily they met the big red Peterbuilt far enough back that he didn't join the party.

The car is probably totaled, and rumor has it the driver only carried liability, I hope that rumor is false. Passenger side front is crushed down and then pushed back and up over where the wheel well is. I think the sub frame bent since the drivers side door completely undamaged will no longer close. Front wheel was folded under the car held on by litttel more than brake lines. Shoved the wheel well backwards into the battery.
    It was a sweet car too, Yellow with custom exhaust, wheels, and interior and a lot of z32 specific engine dress up. Not sure about performance mods.

I don't think the driver got cited, kind of hard to get a ticket when the offending tote lid is present and there is a witness who saw everything. Plus the fast that 7 sports cars following the wrecked car on a twisty mountain road were able to get stopped is pretty strong evidence that the driving was not (too) insane.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC
    Pig Trail Scenic Byway Overview

Yep, if the door won't close it's stuffed, what a shame
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
    X