Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran tests longest range missiles

Iran tests longest range missiles

Iran has successfully test-fired some of the longest range missiles in its arsenal, state media say.

The Revolutionary Guards tested the Shahab-3 and Sajjil rockets, which are believed to have ranges of up to 2,000km (1,240 miles), reports said.

The missiles' range could potentially permit them to reach Israel and US bases in the Gulf, analysts say.

The tests come amid heightened tension with the big international powers over Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Last week, Iran disclosed it was building a second uranium enrichment plant, despite UN demands that it cease its enrichment activities.

Iran is due to hold crucial talks with the five UN Security Council members plus Germany on Thursday on a wide range of security issues, including its nuclear programme.

Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi said the missile tests were merely part of an annual military drill, known as Sacred Defence Week, to commemorate its war with Iraq in the 1980s.

It was not a reaction to the nuclear crisis, he added.

"Many countries have these [displays] and it has nothing to do with Iran's peaceful nuclear technology," he told a news conference.

France called on Tehran to immediately stop "these deeply destabilising activities".

In a statement, the foreign ministry urged Iran to co-operate "by responding without delay to the demands of the international community to reach a negotiated settlement on the nuclear question".

But Russia appealed for restraint, saying the world should not "succumb to emotions" in dealing with Iran.

"The main thing is to launch productive negotiations [with Iran]," a foreign ministry source told Interfax news agency.
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iran tests longest range missiles
    Attached Files
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I think these tests are for public consumption, and to show they have deterrence capabilities (whether it's effective or not I have no idea).

Nebula82.
    Last edited by nebula82; 28 Sep 09,, 16:40.

Comment

This pic is up on CNN. Is it just me or does this look exactly like one of the photoshopped ones debunked not too long ago?
      Attached Files
      You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
        This pic is up on CNN. Is it just me or does this look exactly like one of the photoshopped ones debunked not too long ago?
        [ATTACH]16333[/ATTACH]
        It does, but then they probably do all their missile tests in that same sort of desert/barren terrain.
        Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

With all due respect, why are we giving much credence to Iranian state TV?

Comment

Working...
          X